PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade 9.04 -> 9.10 then FREEZE

joshuajon
November 6th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I ran the automated update through update manager, everything went smoothly. Rebooted ok, it lets me login. Then 5-20 seconds later it freezes completely and that's it. No recovery, no ctrl-alt-del, nothing. Anybody have any suggestions? I thought I was safe with an automated upgrade, but I guess not.

There should probably be a warning to back up files if there's a possibility that the system will be irrevocably damaged. I'm downloading a disc to do a fresh install, but what a pain.

Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

joshuajon
November 6th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Turns out the same thing happens when I boot from the 9.10 live cd. WTH?!

apirec
November 6th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I'd say, your system will freeze as well with a fresh installation. You should try to disable desktop effects. That way I got mine at least stable (yet unusable slow!).

joshuajon
November 6th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Isolated the problem: apparently it's related to the netgear wg111v2 usb wireless card. I can boot up fine with this device unplugged. When I plug it in it finds the network and then freezes as soon as that's completed. Hrm...

joshuajon
November 6th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Started a new thread over at the networking forum.

joshuajon
November 9th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Okay, it had nothing to do with networking actually. The problem was compiz or some other advanced desktop effects. After disabling desktop effects in GNOME everything worked fine. Thanks!

michaelzap
November 9th, 2009, 01:01 AM
You might try the latest Release Candidate for the kernel (2.6.32-rc6) as found here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8263419&postcount=135