PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading from 5.10

sqela
November 6th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Ok I'm having one of those Murphy's law days. If it can break it has already. I'm putting back together my Dell Optiplex. only thing working right now besides my hp mini running 9.10 anyway I had several failed attempts to install 9.10 much less anything on my Dell optiplex. two copies of 9.10 and still no luck. I resorted to finding an old shipit copy of 5.10 and installing that to my dell which i'm running now. Now I know its waaaaaaay out of date so is there a way to update it to atleast 9.04? update mananger has told me its no longer supported. ( know and understand) however whats a ubuntu user like myself to do?? My Burner died and the dell bios doesn't support usb stick booting

recluce
November 6th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Ok I'm having one of those Murphy's law days. If it can break it has already. I'm putting back together my Dell Optiplex. only thing working right now besides my hp mini running 9.10 anyway I had several failed attempts to install 9.10 much less anything on my Dell optiplex. two copies of 9.10 and still no luck. I resorted to finding an old shipit copy of 5.10 and installing that to my dell which i'm running now. Now I know its waaaaaaay out of date so is there a way to update it to atleast 9.04? update mananger has told me its no longer supported. ( know and understand) however whats a ubuntu user like myself to do?? My Burner died and the dell bios doesn't support usb stick booting

Check out this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DapperUpgrades

This should allow you to upgrade to 6.04 LTS. If that works, you can go to 8.04 LTS in one more step.

Getting to 9.04 would require going through 8.10 first from that point - and I don't know if 4 distribution upgrades in a row would not just be asking for trouble.

jollysnowman
November 6th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Check out this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DapperUpgrades

This should allow you to upgrade to 6.04 LTS. If that works, you can go to 8.04 LTS in one more step.

Getting to 9.04 would require going through 8.10 first from that point - and I don't know if 4 distribution upgrades in a row would not just be asking for trouble.

I agree. Go through all the LTS updates one at a time.

Or perhaps just burn a CD for 8.04?

sqela
November 6th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I agree. Go through all the LTS updates one at a time.

Or perhaps just burn a CD for 8.04?

Dead burner :(

JugglinPhil
November 6th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Dead burner :(
Can you not get someone to burn it for you?

sqela
November 6th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Can you not get someone to burn it for you?

I asked Mark Shuttleworth but his burner stopped working too

JugglinPhil
November 6th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I asked Mark Shuttleworth but his burner stopped working too
-.- I was just trying to help..

sqela
November 6th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Wasnt trying to be mean but rather crack a joke about the shipit program. Anyway after some googling and messing with the sources file i think i got it going. I started it then had to leave for some things to do so when i get back ill check if its done

JugglinPhil
November 6th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Wasnt trying to be mean but rather crack a joke about the shipit program. Anyway after some googling and messing with the sources file i think i got it going. I started it then had to leave for some things to do so when i get back ill check if its done
Alright then, good luck with it.

flipper9
November 6th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Got a USB Drive/Key? Then STOP burning discs! Use unetbootin, install the CDROM ISO to the key, and then boot off the key. You'll no longer have to pay for CDROM discs, worry about bad burns, and you get a speed boost since USB is faster than reading from a CDROM.

This assumes your computer can boot from a USB drive.

JugglinPhil
November 6th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Got a USB Drive/Key? Then STOP burning discs! Use unetbootin, install the CDROM ISO to the key, and then boot off the key. You'll no longer have to pay for CDROM discs, worry about bad burns, and you get a speed boost since USB is faster than reading from a CDROM.

This assumes your computer can boot from a USB drive.
You should read more carefully, he already said in the original post that he can't boot from usb..

flipper9
November 7th, 2009, 12:12 AM
You should read more carefully, he already said in the original post that he can't boot from usb..
Then I am sorry. Perhaps get another CDROM drive then? Goto a friend's house? Order a copy online? Get a more modern computer? The possibilities are endless.

Or you can just waste time upgrading, downloading, upgrading again, dealing with upgrade issues, and waste hours of time.

jollysnowman
November 7th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Then I am sorry. Perhaps get another CDROM drive then? Goto a friend's house? Order a copy online? Get a more modern computer? The possibilities are endless.

Or you can just waste time upgrading, downloading, upgrading again, dealing with upgrade issues, and waste hours of time.

I don't think buying a new computer is really a solution....

JugglinPhil
November 7th, 2009, 12:45 AM

Oh come one, telling someone to get a new computer just because of some problems is ridiculous. Would you get a new car because of a flat tire?

HereSomeHow
November 7th, 2009, 01:02 AM
How about saving the iso's to an usb and mounting them to do the upgrade path from one version to another without burning anything?

louieb
November 7th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Just wondering what CPU, how much ram. How big a hard drive?

I had v5.10 installed and running on a P1-200mHz w/128 MB ram, 3.7GB hard drive.

Don't know how far you can go with your updates without knowing CPU, ram, and hard drive size.

flipper9
November 7th, 2009, 03:58 AM
I don't think buying a new computer is really a solution....
It's a solution. A better one would be to repair the broken CDROM recorder...amongst the cheapest would be to find a friend to burn it for you instead or borrow a USB CDROM recorder if someone has one. There are many solutions..but upgrading from an ancient distribution is just asking for trouble. There are more sensible ways. Heck...spending hours getting something to work might be worth the $200-$300 you'd spend on a new netbook...get a better computer and save money in the long run.