PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Clean install - What to backup?

B34N
November 6th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I'm going to upgrade to 9.10 by doing a clean install. There are a few program settings that I want to backup (Evolution and Firefox) but there are many programs that I don't want to bring over to the new install (failed MythTV install). To accomplish what I want, do I only need to worry about the specific directories in the Home directory or do I need to backup additional files/directories?

Thank you!

Anzan
November 6th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Try running

dpkg --get-selections > packages.txt

Then open the file, exclude the packages you don't want. after the install (assuming your home dir is backed up or on a separate partition) you can sudo apt-get install "the list copied from packages.txt".

The settings you need will be in the home dir.

audiomick
November 6th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Try running

Hallo.
I think I've been looking for that command for a while.

Then open the file, exclude the packages you don't want. after the install (assuming your home dir is backed up or on a separate partition) you can sudo apt-get install "the list copied from packages.txt".

The list is long, and not really intuitive, but should do what I've been wondering about, which is

"Make it new, but just like it was"

That bit works for sure; I've already discovered that, to my delight. That goes as far as Task Bar Icons magically reappearing after the appropriate program has been re-installed.

Anyway, thanks for the tip :-)
Michael

B34N
November 6th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Try running

Thank you! That will do nicely!

Do I need to worry about permissions or anything for the directories and files that I'm backing up from the home directory or can I just simply use the File Browser to drag a copy over to a USB drive?

Anzan
November 6th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Thank you! That will do nicely!

Do I need to worry about permissions or anything for the directories and files that I'm backing up from the home directory or can I just simply use the File Browser to drag a copy over to a USB drive?

Hm. Not sure. But it's easy enough to chmod permissions in cli or just right-clicking and selecting it in properties.

Should be fine though.

solitaire
November 6th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Best way is to use a FAT formatted drive for temp storage for your /home/ folder while you backup (FAT does not hold Security / owner info) So after the install you can just copy back the folders you want with no permission problems ^_^

I never take a list of the installed programs (if I need them i can install them as required.)
But i do take everything from my home and store it on a temp storage partition (see above!) So if I do need a program I've got it's config folder handy.

Then If I don't use a program after a few months I can safely delete the temp storage partition and it's files.