PDA

View Full Version : Installed 9.10. Cannot log in.

jaql
November 6th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I just installed the 64 bit version of 9.10 on my Thinkpad t61p. It previously had Windows 7 on it, but I decided to choose the option that formatted my disk and then installed Ubuntu. Anyway, after the installation was complete, my machine restarted and then came to this login screen that consisted of just white text on a black background with the text sort of flashing.

I tried logging in, but it seemed as if all of my keystrokes weren't recognized. I also noticed that if a key failed to be recognized, it would appear in the upper left hand corner of the screen. Ended up not being able to log in.

Is this a 64 bit version thing or is this a my laptop thing? Don't really know what to do since I can't even make it past this log in screen.

Any suggestions?

audiomick
November 6th, 2009, 05:18 PM
hi.
sounds a lot like the X window manager istn't starting.

there's a hardware report for this machine here; it's for an older Ubuntu, but it's fair to assume that things should work.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/IBMLenovoT61p_6460

Have you tried starting the laptop from the live CD? If that works, then it seems like something went wrong with the install.
Maybe just try again?

I'm afraid I can't help more than that, but hope that might help you find more info.

jaql
November 6th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Ugh. Yeah I have no idea what would be going on either.

The screen I get to though displays:

computername tty1

Login: _I guess I'm going to try and re-install the 64 bit version and then if that doesn't work I'm going to format and install the 32 bit version and see if there are any differences. Blargh.

Have you tried starting the laptop from the live CD? If that works, then it seems like something went wrong with the install.
Maybe just try again?

Yeah, running it from the live CD works great. Actually installing it thought didn't work out so well. I am going to try again though.