PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Display freezing on a hp d530 CMT

kgarbutt
November 6th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 alpha when it was available. Since then my computer would freeze & the display would go dark - I would have to unplug the computer to recover from it. Even after the final release of 9.10 (updated through update manager), my computer continued to freeze. It never did this in 9.04.

Well I wanted to report that I booted my computer from a 9.10 cd that I made and let my computer sit overnight and it never froze. So since then I have reinstalled 9.10 (the final release) and now my computer is not freezing. I am planning on added just one thing back at a time to the system to see if that one thing will cause my computer to freeze. It will take some time, but then I will know for sure if it was something I installed. Most of what I have to install will come from the repositories anyways. In any case, I am just happy to have a stable system again.

Ubuntu still rules and 9.10 is still awesome!!

I hope this helps others who are having the same problem that I was having.

kgarbutt
November 9th, 2009, 04:42 PM
New update. I have since added everything back and my computer is no longer freezing. It sat turned on for for the entire weekend, and was fine Monday morning.

TheGoktor
November 9th, 2009, 06:11 PM
So was that a fresh install from disc?

I've upgraded to Karmic and am having the same problems with my HP ((6735s) - sometimes it freezes within minutes of booting up, sometimes I can have the machine on for hours before it happens but I can guarantee it's going to happen at least twice per day! It's rather annoying, especially as I use this machine for work and cannot afford to lose documents I'm working on (I save loads now!).

TBH I'm a bit loathe to do a fresh install because I've then got to go through all the hassle of installing WINE and the apps which I currently have running under/on/with it (can you tell I'm no expert?!). But if I have to I will. :frown:

Glad to hear yours is working well now though!