PDA

View Full Version : So how do you navigate the desktop?

BoyOfDestiny
February 17th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Ok, so I'm still trying to adapt to using gnome (been completely windows free on my machines since october). I like the panel on top, but I would like to not have to use the "task switcher" at the bottom.

What are new/old habits?

Things I'm trying to do: use virtual desktops, try not to minimize...

I'm just curious, how do those that do not use the lower task switcher do work?

(And yes I had tried to move it to the top bar, but the minimize metacity effect still went down for me... Which was just weird)

Even if it's alt+tab, the thing I'm loving with Linux is one can do things differently.

Please share any neat tricks with navigation that are simple but not immediately obvious. The less clicks it takes, the better.

PapaWiskas
February 17th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Not sure if this will help you or not, I use XFCE mostly, but still use Ubuntu (Gnome), lately have been experimenting and getting used to KDE.

Here is how I have my Gnome desktop setup.

Top Bar is not expanded, moved my virtual desktops up top. When I want this bar out of the way I just click on the left or right side, next to the Ubuntu logo(left) or next to the network monitor icons(right), and it makes it slide out of view.

The bottom bar, once again is not expanded and aligned to the left. I have my show desktop icon and trash bin there, also my update notifier is down there as well. And of course the task switcher is down there and expands as necessary.

I am like you....a recovering ******* user...I came here in December.

Hope this helps somehow.

Stormy Eyes
February 17th, 2006, 05:08 AM
In Openbox, I use CTRL+ALT+Arrow to move between desktops. Also, the mousewheel lets me scroll between desktops if I scroll on an empty space.

rfruth
February 17th, 2006, 05:18 AM
I use good ole Nautilus to navigate

Sutekh
February 17th, 2006, 05:36 AM
In Openbox, I use CTRL+ALT+Arrow to move between desktops. Also, the mousewheel lets me scroll between desktops if I scroll on an empty space.
This works in GNOME too (the key-stroke method does anyway). There is a program you can install that changes desktops if you hover the mouse near an edge of your desktop, called brightside.

Ubuntu Forums - HOWTO Switch workspaces by moving your mouse to the edge of the screen (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=27251)

poofyhairguy
February 17th, 2006, 05:44 AM
CTRL + ALT + Left/right arrow key. Switches to the new side of the cube for me. That plus Shift. Takes the in focus app with it.

CTRL + T new tab in Firefox.

Left Windows key- configured to be my thumbnails task switcher.

Thats mostly what I use!

Sutekh
February 17th, 2006, 05:47 AM
CTRL + ALT + Left/right arrow key. Switches to the new side of the cube for me. That plus Shift. Takes the in focus app with it.

That's really cool! I like that one!

alfonz
February 17th, 2006, 05:54 AM
I like how xFce lets you drag a window far left or far right and crosses over to the next desktop. Also the mouse wheel changing between desktops is really usefull. I need that for Gnome as it being my primary desktop

K.Mandla
February 17th, 2006, 07:44 AM
3ddesktop. It's my new favorite thing. Mostly because it drives my brother crazy that he can't do that with XP.

poofyhairguy
February 17th, 2006, 09:01 AM
3ddesktop. It's my new favorite thing. Mostly because it drives my brother crazy that he can't do that with XP.

Wait till you show him XGL.

K.Mandla
February 17th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Wait till you show him XGL.
I showed him the video linked off your blog site. He hasn't responded yet (no doubt fuming about it, though).

I've tried to install it myself via the sticky in the Dapper section, then decided I needed a little more experience and a little more time before tackling it. Quite exciting, though.

Wolki
February 17th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Please share any neat tricks with navigation that are simple but not immediately obvious. The less clicks it takes, the better.

Hm... the window selector applet. No keyboard shortcut for it yet, though.

Too bad Superswitcher (
http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=1231) currently doesn't seem to work on either breezy or dapper, I had it running in dapper some time ago and it rocked.

majikstreet
February 17th, 2006, 09:32 PM
mostly just the pager in gnome.. sometimes 3ddesktop, but that's for show... once i get a nvidia card, i'm going to try XGL and compiz :D