PDA

View Full Version : Make KDE apps look like gnome

Sashin
November 6th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Be default KDE apps blend really well and look nice in gnome, however I think I've deleted a package by mistake which causes this. Anyone know which one?

Tibuda
November 6th, 2009, 12:59 PM
You need qtconfig4, and using it you set your Qt theme to "Gtk".

Sashin
November 6th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Doesn't work.

Tibuda
November 6th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Doesn't work.

Which app are you talking about? If it uses Qt4 (as KDE4 apps does), you need to use qt4-qtconfig, but if it uses the old Qt3 (as KDE3 apps does), you use qt3-qtconfig.

EDIT: I'm not sure you can make Qt3 apps to use your Gtk+ theme.

EDIT AGAIN: What version of Ubuntu are you using? I think the Gtk+ theme for Qt4 is only available after jaunty.

RiceMonster
November 6th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Doesn't work.

You may have to set up a ~/.gtkrc-2.0 to make it work.

For example:

gtk-theme-name="Clearlooks"
gtk-icon-theme-name="Mist"
gtk-font-name="Bitstream Vera Sans 10"
gtk-toolbar-style=0

Change everything to your liking.

chucky chuckaluck
November 6th, 2009, 02:26 PM
i don't think qtconfig changes kde apps. you'd have to use systemsettings or that (i think it's part of either kdebase, or kdeworkspace).

Sashin
November 6th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Program is Kalzium, it used to blend well now it looks like a kde app. I'm using Karmic.

FuturePilot
November 6th, 2009, 08:26 PM
If it's a KDE app then the Qt settings won't have any affect on its appearance. If it's a pure Qt app then it will.

Tibuda
November 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM
i don't think qtconfig changes kde apps. you'd have to use systemsettings or that (i think it's part of either kdebase, or kdeworkspace).

If it's a KDE app then the Qt settings won't have any affect on its appearance. If it's a pure Qt app then it will.

This makes sense to me now. The Qt apps I use (VLC, Skype and Virtualbox) are not KDE apps, so qtconfig works for me. KDE apps use a different version of Qt or what?

Sashin
November 6th, 2009, 08:33 PM
But by default KDE apps do look like gnome?

FuturePilot
November 6th, 2009, 08:37 PM
This makes sense to me now. The Qt apps I use (VLC, Skype and Virtualbox) are not KDE apps, so qtconfig works for me. KDE apps use a different version of Qt or what?
Well, KDE is built upon Qt but it also extends on Qt offers and adds some extra features and whatnot that Qt doesn't offer. As for why KDE apps don't just use Qt settings I'm not sure.

But by default KDE apps do look like gnome?

No, only Qt apps do.

Sashin
November 6th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Well at least by default Kalzium looks like gnome. And so does amarok.

t.rei
November 6th, 2009, 08:41 PM
May I suggest using "qtcurve" for both: kde and gnome apps? It's very customizable, too.

Sashin
November 6th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I shouldn't have to though, Kalzium once blended into gnome.

SunnyRabbiera
November 6th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Still the qtcurve suggestion is a good one, I am a big fan of it.

edin9
November 6th, 2009, 11:21 PM
KDE3 needs gtk-qt-engine-kde3.deb, KDE4 needs gtk-qt-engine-kde4.deb.