PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to make Ubuntu look exactly like OS X 10.6 and must have software

Tigerf0x
November 6th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Hello everyone, I am brand new to Linux, though I have been deciding for some time whether to make the leap. I currently have a Lenovo Y510 dual booted with Windows 7 RC and Ubuntu 9.10.

My two points:
I want ubuntu to look like OS X
I want some great software!

My question is, I like OS X, I really really like the interface and some of the software (such as Aperture, iTunes and iPhoto). What is the best themes / programs that will make my Ubuntu look and function like a Mac? I already have mac4lin and while its good, its not perfect. I am having troubles with the dock, but more on that later.

From my Windows experience I would be looking to replace Windows Live Messenger, preferably with MSN 8.5 under WINE (I'm not THAT new to Linux :P) but so far I have been unable to work this right, so I'm using aMSN (I'd prefer the real thing for a few reasons though).

Also, is there any GOOD (like WINE) Mac emulators around that will allow me to run some apple software that I have "lying around"?

I simply MUST have iTunes, there is no work around with Songbird, Rhythmbox, etc. I own a 32GB iPod touch, so iTunes is a must have. The only way I can sync my music to it atm is via Windows 7 (unfortunately).

So far I have my email client (Mozilla Thunderbird) which looks brilliant, kdenlive (fantastic software), digiKam (quite good), and for my theme I am using mac4lin. It is a good theme, but the docks provided (AWN and Cairodock) are intrusive, unintelligent, and very resource consuming. I've had multiple crashes and freezes while running these bits of software, and they ALWAYS get in the way when I'm trying to do something near the bottom of the page.

Are there any new, smart, light, and effective docks for Ubuntu 9.10 other than these two?

Thank you everyone, Ubuntu is a great OS and so far I am very happy with it.

AmbientOcclusion
November 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM
From my Windows experience I would be looking to replace Windows Live Messenger, preferably with MSN 8.5 under WINE (I'm not THAT new to Linux :P) but so far I have been unable to work this right, so I'm using aMSN (I'd prefer the real thing for a few reasons though).
Why?

Wouldn't it just be easier to use the built in empathy client?

Tigerf0x
November 6th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Why?

Wouldn't it just be easier to use the built in empathy client?

I don't want an MSN replacement, currently I'm using aMSN, its good, so is Empathy and Pidgin, but I'd REALLY like stock standard MSN for a few reasons. I know it isn't as good, but I would really prefer it.

sofasurfa
November 6th, 2009, 09:08 AM
What? You don't like brown?

Tigerf0x
November 6th, 2009, 09:20 AM
What? You don't like brown?
Not really. I prefer grey.