PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Netbook remix as a first computer

Comodidit
November 6th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Hello all.

I'm looking at setting up my in-laws with a computer, but they're both in there 60's and slightly less than computer savy(to put it REALLY nicely). To be honest, neither of them can
touch one without getting flustered. But both of them realize it's something they need in their life and that it will be really helpful in their lives.

I've tried to teach them how to use the basic windows/linux/mac desktops and it just ends up confusing them. So after looking around I thought of the idea of using the Ubuntu netbook remix. It should do all they need and be really simple for them to operate (i'll do tech support of course, so they don't need to worry about upgrades or the like.)

I'm planning on setting them up with an older laptop I have lying around (2.2 dual core, 1gb ram, 160gb HD, intel integrated graphics). And just leaving it hooked up all the time in the living room.

Any suggestions on if this will work? Or any suggestions on making it easier for them? Or just anything I should know before I start tinkering with the Netbook remix?

joeval
November 6th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Na, give it a go. The netbook Remix is really nice to use, everything is sort of out on the desktop.
Put the apps they tend to use in the Favourites bit, and they wont even need to scroll through a menu!

Plus, the Karmic remix has given me no problems at all, flawless.

earthpigg
November 6th, 2009, 10:57 AM
make sure you set it up as an ssh server so you don't have to actually drive over to do tech support :D

install tuxtype.