PDA

View Full Version : If you are having problems with Karmic did you...

running_rabbit07
November 6th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Do an upgrade or clean install.

I installed via both methods and my only problem is Conky not working.

edin9
November 6th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Wascially wabbit.

JBAlaska
November 6th, 2009, 06:52 AM
On the 2 puters on my sig with karmic..Clean install on both, both 100% working.
I'm even giving up on trying to break karmic on my desktop, waiting on a RMA'd HD so I can install a more breakable flavor of Linux. I learn more fixing than using lol.

Jr.Muffin
November 6th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I haven't tried upgrading from a past release, but doing a clean installation worked perfectly for me. I still haven't encountered any problems at all. *knocks on wood

FuturePilot
November 6th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Fresh install. Broke my system. Went back to Jaunty. Clonezilla FTW.

running_rabbit07
November 6th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Fresh install. Broke my system. Went back to Jaunty. Clonezilla FTW.

After upgrading with no problems, I did a fresh install just to see if it would make my system faster. I didn't, but I did learn that it is cool to have a list of every program installed for going through Synaptic and installing everything at once. I am kinda geeking out about getting my ISP to up my speed a few days ago, makes a big difference.

There seems to me to be a lot of people saying they have a broken system from upgrading, but now I am hearing that just as many, if not more people, are having problems with clean installs. I figured this poll may give a better insight.

Thanx all for participating.

lovinglinux
November 6th, 2009, 01:09 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305924
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1316155

rafita
November 6th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Nice idea for a poll!

But it seems that most of the people that have problems updgrading either way
have laptops. How about a poll with eight questions, covering whether the
upgraded machine is desktop or laptop? ;)

Myself, I am somewhat scared to upgrade any of my machines...

tjwoosta
November 6th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Do an upgrade or clean install.

I installed via both methods and my only problem is Conky not working.

If conky doesn't work its probably a deeper problem then you realize because conky is a really simple app and works flawlessly with even the most basic bare bones X11 setups. Its either that or you just configured it wrong.

sisco311
November 6th, 2009, 07:46 PM
No other option?

Fresh install via debootstrat from Archlinux - easily fixable minor problems.

Matthewthegreat
November 6th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I did a clean install and have had very few problems. So, far I'm really enjoying Karmic. I know many don't agree with me but I think it's a great release.

The only problem I have had with Karmic is that sound quality is poor in my steam game running in wine but it's not a major problem and probably will be worked out in time.

running_rabbit07
November 6th, 2009, 08:00 PM
If conky doesn't work its probably a deeper problem then you realize because conky is a really simple app and works flawlessly with even the most basic bare bones X11 setups. Its either that or you just configured it wrong.

I am not sure what is causing it. I haven't done any configuring, just installed and doesn't stay on the screen when I click another window. Same thing happened with Debian Squeeze.