PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] updating open office

jerrydc
November 6th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I think I've read that Ubuntu does not automatically update Open Office. But at this point I wonder if I understand anything. I ask because I'm having various problems with Open Office 3.0.1 and an expert elsewhere, wrote, if I understood him correctly, that it has various bugs. They might be fixed if Open Office were updated but Ubuntu will not do that when it does its periuodic automatic updates, he said. I would appreciate your telling me whether I should leave everything to the update manager or should I go ahead and download the newer version of OOo and hope that clears up my problems. Thanks.

flipper9
November 6th, 2009, 03:38 AM
What version of OO do you have with your updated Karmic system?

I have OO 3.1.1 on my Karmic system. I enabled installation of proposed and backports in my System/Administration/Software Sources, and use Update Manager to keep my system up to date. Maybe try that?

jerrydc
November 6th, 2009, 04:38 AM
I don't understand what you mean by proposed and backports. However, I have just about all buttons checked in System/Administration/Software Sources, and use Update Manager to do its thing. Should I leave all that alone or would it help if I manually downloaded the latest version of Open Office?

flipper9
November 6th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I don't understand what you mean by proposed and backports. However, I have just about all buttons checked in System/Administration/Software Sources, and use Update Manager to do its thing. Should I leave all that alone or would it help if I manually downloaded the latest version of Open Office?

Under System/Administration/Software Sources, goto the Updates Tab. Check the proposed or pre-release updates and the unsupported or backport updates checkboxes (the last two below security and recommended). Backports allow you to get updates for newer versions of packages introduced in newer versions of ubuntu, if someone created them.

wilee-nilee
November 6th, 2009, 05:23 AM
The PPA for OO is now set to lucid.

jerrydc
November 7th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Sorry, but I don't understand the lingo. I've used MS stuff for many years and switched only a few months ago to Ubuntu and OO. Next time I'll post to beginners' forum.

However, earlier today Update Manager gave me a Partial Update (I wonder why not a complete one) to Ubuntu 9.10 and OOo 3.1.1. I guess that answers my question.