PDA

View Full Version : Invalid Architecture

dsyskowski
November 6th, 2009, 03:03 AM
I recently performed a clean install of 9.10, replacing a solid 32 bit 9.04. I decided that I would give 64 bit a try, since my computer had 4 GB of memory and it seemed a waste to have that last 0.8 GB go unused. So I pointed my download to the 64 bit version which I have since come to understand has the letters "AMD" in the file name, implying that it is oriented to AMD processors. It installed fine and I am using it right now, but two things make me wonder if something might be wrong and maybe I want to go back to 32 bit.

First, I like to use Launchy so I got the package and tried to do the install but it aborted claiming that the i386 deb was the wrong architecture, apparently deciding that I was running on AMD. So I did a little probing and that is when I discovered that I am only use 3.2 GB of memory, when I feel a 64 bit OS should automatically use all of the memory.

I have seen other posters indicate that it is OK to use the AMD 64 bit install on an Intel CPU, but I just wonder about that. Is perhaps my memory issue related to this? Or is there some some of configuration value somewhere that I need to be aware of and change?

All of this is leading me to wonder about going back to the 32 bit version if I am going to have future software installs balk on a perceived architecture.

Any thoughts?