PDA

View Full Version : Linux distro ubuntu fedora pclinuxos openSUSE

hughaldrich
November 6th, 2009, 02:56 AM
should i make a switch form ubuntu to these distros:lolflag:

wojox
November 6th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Sure. Or you could save yourself the trouble and dual boot because eventually you'll be back.

y6FgBn)~v
November 6th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Yes try each one of them and report back here as to your findings.

SunnyRabbiera
November 6th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Trying out new distros can be beneficial to ones experience, I have tried many other distros in my time.
Ubuntu seems to be my constant but I keep other distros around to play with.

cariboo
November 6th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Of course, try them all and more.

Machnikowski
November 6th, 2009, 04:01 AM
PCLinuxOS is on life support. I hear several developers have left to make their own distro.

Fedora is nice, but keep in mind that it doesn't hold your hand through everything like Ubuntu does.

~sHyLoCk~
November 6th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Mandriva 2010 :D

L815
November 6th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Just try them all out until you fit comfortably. It's taken me almost a year to find the perfect one. Even still, I'm still debating Ubuntu vs Arch; ONLY because of rolling release. But for now, I'm sticking with Ubuntu.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 6th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Fedora 11 was nice. I haven't tried the new one.

Exodist
November 6th, 2009, 04:36 AM
should i make a switch form ubuntu to these distros:lolflag:
What about Debian? If you like Ubuntu it would be a clearer choice, IMHO.

SunnyRabbiera
November 6th, 2009, 04:41 AM
What about Debian? If you like Ubuntu it would be a clearer choice, IMHO.

Debian is a good option, just use testing if you want more up to date stuff though.
I have used debian testing without much issue.

Grifulkin
November 6th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Arch instead?

Exodist
November 6th, 2009, 05:08 AM
5.0.3 (Lenny) isnt to out of date per se. It was release early this year. It may feature slightly older software like GIMP 2.4 and Gnome 2.22. But its key feature is stability.
Only thing was Pidgin didnt work and wasnt a huge deal becuase you can just compile it from source. I did that with Pidg and Gimp both to have the latest.

Also if you looking for a distro that would be easier for you to adjust to, you cant get much easier then the distro Ubuntu is based on.

I simply love Debian. You should try it.

Also you ONLY need to download the first CD for the install. It will download any other files it needs off the net.

- Exo

Warpnow
November 6th, 2009, 05:09 AM
A large part of me wants to run debian but I'm not confident enough that I can problem solve without occasional help.

Sad that I've been using linux for like 5 years now.

Exodist
November 6th, 2009, 05:13 AM
A large part of me wants to run debian but I'm not confident enough that I can problem solve without occasional help.

Sad that I've been using linux for like 5 years now.
What issues worry you?

You may find out that Debian has less issues then many others due to their long release cycles. (22months on Lenny)

Warpnow
November 6th, 2009, 05:22 AM
What issues worry you?

You may find out that Debian has less issues then many others due to their long release cycles. (22months on Lenny)

The only thing I'm not worried about that most people are are drivers. I think I've got them under control. Its applications that worry me. Sometimes applications won't start after an update...missing some obscure .so file I've never heard of. I google it + ubuntu and it tells me the package its in...

I might want to install something from source, too, with 20 different dependencies...distributions name these dependencies differently. Even for ubuntu its sometimes hard to pin down the name...I'm not sure if ubuntu/debian use the same package name, but this was the reason I had trouble using a few other distributions. I couldn't settle dependencies, especially for programs that actually check for an exact version in the config script...I mean sheesh.

SunnyRabbiera
November 6th, 2009, 05:27 AM
The only thing I'm not worried about that most people are are drivers. I think I've got them under control. Its applications that worry me. Sometimes applications won't start after an update...missing some obscure .so file I've never heard of. I google it + ubuntu and it tells me the package its in...

I might want to install something from source, too, with 20 different dependencies...distributions name these dependencies differently. Even for ubuntu its sometimes hard to pin down the name...I'm not sure if ubuntu/debian use the same package name, but this was the reason I had trouble using a few other distributions. I couldn't settle dependencies, especially for programs that actually check for an exact version in the config script...I mean sheesh.

Debian stable sort of alleviates stuff like this

N4zgu1
November 6th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Currently I am trying fedora 12, it is very nice but I prefer synaptic than the add/remove software from fedora

Exodist
November 6th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Debian stable sort of alleviates stuff like this
Agreed, you want see stuff like that in Debian stable.

renkinjutsu
November 6th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Just try them all out until you fit comfortably. It's taken me almost a year to find the perfect one. Even still, I'm still debating Ubuntu vs Arch; ONLY because of rolling release. But for now, I'm sticking with Ubuntu.

took a year to end up sticking with Ubuntu, while still being undecided? .. Yeah.. There are so many distros to choose from, all with different ups and downs!!

has anyone here ever had their hand with Linux From Scratch?

SunnyRabbiera
November 6th, 2009, 05:48 AM
took a year to end up sticking with Ubuntu, while still being undecided? .. Yeah.. There are so many distros to choose from, all with different ups and downs!!

I tried slack once if that counts :D

Exodist
November 6th, 2009, 05:53 AM

Yea I have used the tools they provide on disc before and built my own linux OS. It was a full filling goal and a great way to learn how to build your own.

I never got Gnome built tho, no error on my end mind you. Gnome just required existing gnome dependencies to be compiled to compiling other dependencies that those deps required. It was a sad road block. (To clairify, A required B, B required C, C required A. So how the hell do I build A.. LOL)

Now days I just take a good distro and customize it. Its easier.

Frak
November 6th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Try them all so you'll realize just how similar all Linux Distributions are.

Sef
November 6th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Moved to recurring discussions cause it is.

Frak
November 6th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Moved to recurring discussions cause it is.
http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&source=hp&q=recursion&aq=f&aqi=g10&oq=&fp=db658cc5049dc510

earthpigg
November 6th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Try them all so you'll realize just how similar all Linux Distributions are.

+1

package manager, repositories, default installed userland apps.

thats it. i just listed every single significant difference between Ubuntu and pick-ur-distro.

Hallvor
November 6th, 2009, 08:03 AM
5.0.3 (Lenny) isnt to out of date per se. It was release early this year. It may feature slightly older software like GIMP 2.4 and Gnome 2.22. But its key feature is stability.
Only thing was Pidgin didnt work and wasnt a huge deal becuase you can just compile it from source. I did that with Pidg and Gimp both to have the latest.

Pidgin didn`t work? That is strange. I use Pidgin every day.

mehaga
November 6th, 2009, 08:07 AM
+1

package manager, repositories, default installed userland apps.

thats it. i just listed every single significant difference between Ubuntu and pick-ur-distro.

Hey, hey, hey! I don't see you mention BROWN there :D

Exodist
November 6th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Pidgin didn`t work? That is strange. I use Pidgin every day.
Yea I was confused. I compiled newer version and connected right away tho.. idk.

bailout
November 6th, 2009, 10:31 AM
PCLinuxOS is on life support. I hear several developers have left to make their own distro.

Fedora is nice, but keep in mind that it doesn't hold your hand through everything like Ubuntu does.

Any more details on this? I just installed pclos on my laptop. Mainly for the rolling release and I had heard good reports of their kde implementation.

Hallvor
November 6th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Any more details on this? I just installed pclos on my laptop. Mainly for the rolling release and I had heard good reports of their kde implementation.

All that is old news. I think it must have been at least six months ago, and the distro hasn`t magically stopped working. New developers have taken their places. Secondly, the main developer (Texstar) is back and is very active. There is heavy development and a lot of upgrades right now, so to me the project is very much alive.