PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install ubuntu 9.10 / please help

xTDee
November 6th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Alright I'm a bit of a newbie so bare with me. Some time ago I gave up windows for the open source world of Linux. The first thing I tried was of course Ubuntu 9.04, It installed just fine and dandy on my desktop (Compaq Presario SR 2020NX), but when it came to my laptop (IBM ThinkPad A30) I couldnt get it to boot the live cd, so I tried downloading the alternate installer, and it wouldnt work. I tried many distros and none worked so after about 13 CD's I tried Debian which installed fine but I find it's just not the same. I love 9.10 that I have on my desktop and I want to put it on my laptop.

Let me stop rambling, my point is. I can't get any disk to boot on my cd, I can't even install windows on my laptop again. I don't believe it's the cd drive because when there is a disk in the drive it mounts on the desktop. So is there a way to just kind of do an install using terminal or some other way of installing 9.10. I've tried the usb method using unetbootin and my usb ports must be too old cause it wont boot off of it. Hope this makes sense..