PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Takes way to long to get to login screen

style23
November 6th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Ubuntu 9.10 takes way to long to get to login screen. Once at login screen the font is real tiny and the background is all black and where you select your username its outlined with a grey box and there is a bar at the bottom which is grey. I just had 9.04 installed a couple of days ago and it never took this long to get to the login screen. Also I receive this error message ' the configuration defaults for gnome power manager haven't been installed correctly. ' I know how to correct that, by just uninstalling the package but why is that error message even coming up it didn't in 9.04? Once i'm logged in everything seems to be working fine, but if I choose 'log out' it takes long to get to the login screen? Anyone know what the problems could be?

style23
November 7th, 2009, 10:05 PM
bump

style23
November 10th, 2009, 10:45 PM
bump

doas777
November 10th, 2009, 10:52 PM
my boot time on my most powerful machine was disappointing initially after updating to karmic. bootchart got me pointed in the right direction: upgrading my ext2 home and data partitions to ext4. still not as fast as i was hoping, but I'm going to work on speeding it up.

also did you upgrade or clean install? if you upgraded, then I have to recomending performing a clean install.

style23
January 1st, 2010, 05:14 PM
my boot time on my most powerful machine was disappointing initially after updating to karmic. bootchart got me pointed in the right direction: upgrading my ext2 home and data partitions to ext4. still not as fast as i was hoping, but I'm going to work on speeding it up.

also did you upgrade or clean install? if you upgraded, then I have to recomending performing a clean install.

I upgraded? I want to try and fix the problem without clean install. Thats the whole point of an upgrade, so you don't have to worry about a clean install. Learning how to fix this problem would give me more insight to using linux but if there is no other way to fix this problem but a clean install I guess I would have to do it. That just doesn't make since, you should be able to fix it without a clean install.

style23
February 11th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I backed up everything and did a clean install. That fixed a lot of issues I was having. A clean install just might be the best way when installing a new version.