PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Empathy voice-chat using gtalk not working (not getting sound)

sexyclient
November 6th, 2009, 12:40 AM
I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 and I can't chat (with gtalk in empathy. My mic input and speaker output are configured properly (as far as I can tell,) but I can't get anything to work. I've got sound working perfectly well in everything else, so I don't know what's the problem.

There are instances where I can use the mic (when using gizmo5, for example, my input works,) but getting sound to come out fails. Anyone experience this issue found a workaround?

sexyclient2
November 7th, 2009, 01:04 AM
bumpity-bump-bump,

am I the only one?

wilcoxjay
November 7th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I have a similar problem. I can hear and see my friends, and they can see me, but they cannot hear me.

I'm looking forward to a solution. Let me know if you need data.

James

sexyclient2
November 7th, 2009, 09:55 PM
So I tried pidgin and the same thing happened... At this point I began to think that, because I use gtalk on a google domain apps' account with gizmo5 and gtalk2voip.com, there was a misconfiguration in one of these services so I logged into windows (which, at this point I'm very glad I didn't delete) and tried gtalk there. The result? It was an overwhelming success; things worked perfectly...

My next step is to test my current config on windows' pidgin to see if I erred somewhere there.

wilcoxjay
November 7th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I have also tested this with pidgin, and got the same results. Furthermore, the same thing happens with skype. However, non-chat programs like audacity do fine. Skype and Pidgin both work fine for me (full video and audio) under windows.

Edit: I also filed the following bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/477752

sexyclient2
November 7th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Sweet. Bug-reporting has always been too complex for me, but I'm glad that at least now the issue is documented. I'll keep my eye out for updates, cuz it looks like this issue won't be resolved any time soon...

linuxbrother11
November 11th, 2009, 01:20 PM
:-/ Voice is working great and clear but video is not. :(

sexyclient2
November 12th, 2009, 04:42 AM
:-/ Voice is working great and clear but video is not. :(
I'm curious: are you using the 64 or 32-bit koala?

crichard
November 17th, 2009, 03:15 AM
I have a similar problem. I can hear and see my friends, and they can see me, but they cannot hear me.

I'm looking forward to a solution. Let me know if you need data.

James

Even I'm having the same problem. I can hear my friends voice but they can't hear mine.
Any solutions?

sexyclient2
November 17th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Unfortunately not. Apparently fixing voice-chat isn't a very high priority... Might I ask what version Koala you're using, crichard? 32 or 64-bit?

wilcoxjay
November 17th, 2009, 04:00 AM
No solutions yet. I filed the following bug report (which has been silent for a few days now).

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/477752

If you have an Acer Timeline laptop, I encourage you to mark the bug as affecting you. If you have different hardware, I encourage you to file a separate bug (you can use 'ubuntu-bug alsa-base' on the terminal).

Hopefully we'll find something out soon,

James

crichard
November 17th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Unfortunately not. Apparently fixing voice-chat isn't a very high priority... Might I ask what version Koala you're using, crichard? 32 or 64-bit?

I'm using 32 bit.

crichard
November 22nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Even I'm having the same problem. I can hear my friends voice but they can't hear mine.
Any solutions?

Hi guys,
Good news for us. Audio chat in gtalk is working now. I've reinstalled telepathy-gabble using Synaptic Package Manager.So, it works.
FYI, I've attached screenshots of my sound preference here.(System->Preferences->Sound).
Try it. Let me know if it works. Thank you.

wilcoxjay
November 22nd, 2009, 07:53 PM
Reinstalling telepathy-gabble doesn't fix it for me.

crichard
November 23rd, 2009, 02:13 AM
Reinstalling telepathy-gabble doesn't fix it for me.

OMG, Sorry 2 hear this. Itz working here without any problem.

sexyclient2
November 23rd, 2009, 02:27 AM
Mines also failed.

crichard
November 23rd, 2009, 02:37 AM
Mines also failed.

Try 2 reinstall Telepathy Mission Control 5 also. For me, I just reinstalled telepathy-gabble & it works. Hav u chked ur mic? Can u able 2 record ur voice?
In my 2nd attached image, (Input tab) Input level progress bar is there. R u getting any bars while u r using ur mic?

sexyclient2
November 24th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I reinstalled everything empathy/telepathy and still got nothing - meant to post that sooner, though I got distracted. I haven't yet tried on the new kernal I installed today, so after I try that out I'll update.

sexyclient2
November 24th, 2009, 07:47 PM
OK, so there's been an update to telepathy-missioncontrol5 (or something like that, forgot the package name) but now in empathy I can actually hear sound from the other end! Still can't chat, though, so it's just like in gizmo5...

I guess that this is the ubuntu error.