PDA

View Full Version : Do you think OpenSolaris is going to get anywhere?

afroman10496
November 6th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Mind you, I think it's a pretty cool OS, but how many think it's going to conquer the world with Ubuntu like we know Ubuntu is going to in a couple years?

RiceMonster
November 6th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I don't think that's the point of OpenSolaris. I believe it's supposed to be sort of like OpenSuSE for SLES/D and Fedora for RHEL. It's sort of like a testing ground for proprietary Solaris, which is targeted at enterprise server environments.

Regenweald
November 6th, 2009, 12:30 AM
OpenSolaris has three technologies which i find really impressive: Crossbow (full network virtualization and bandwith shaping), Containers and once click filesystem snapshots integrated into nautilus. It has a very large enterprise feature set with practical uses on the desktop for users.
I'm waiting for the 2010.02 release.

kyuubi777
November 6th, 2009, 12:34 AM
personally, no...(which is why i voted maybe :D). it's got too many competitors that offer better functionality and better UI ..
i like to root for the underdog, but ubuntu had a b%^&* of a time becoming the premier version of linux (of like 40) and yet it is the least recognized of the big three win/osx/linux ...

it has just as good of a chance as dragonfly or Reactos or Beos etc..