PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you pros completely dumped Win OS?

SMF
February 17th, 2006, 01:20 AM
I was curious as to wether or not any of you pros have dumped Windows and only live in Linux land? I could seriously do with out Windows OS from the way I see how ubuntu has been. I mean sure I love all the nice progs like PaintShop Pro and PhotoShop and all the other millions of Windows Programs I have but honestly I could do with out and it would simplfy my life. What do the experts think and feel about this?

Protex
February 17th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Well I'm fairly new to Linux, and I've ditched Windows completly.

It's entirely up to your comfort level with the OS, will you be able to survive without Windows?

Keep in mind that those nice windows programs can run under WINE, or even better a VMware installation of WindowsXP (which is what I'm doing).

rfruth
February 17th, 2006, 01:27 AM
I don't consider myself a pro or expert but Breezy works so well its now my main computer :)

Coelocanth
February 17th, 2006, 01:27 AM
I'm just new to Ubuntu/Linux, having installed it only a couple days ago. Since then, I think I've only booted Windows once. That being said, I don't think I'll ditch it completely, but one never knows. The more I learn about Linux, the more I like it.

SMF
February 17th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Protex Wow that is awesome and very inspirational. I am not much of a gamer any more, Just downloaded games to kill time.
So you are saying that alot of the programs I have like PSP+ and the likes can be installed on my linux box? I have alot of programs. I mean a lot. Would there be some programs that would not work?
Honestly the way things are going I could kill this Windows XP OS. It is so high maintainace. I know you know what I mean.

Keep talking to me. I am all ears:mrgreen:

BTW I feel very comfortable with ubuntu even though this is my first Linux box and I have been on it for 2 days but the reasuring thing is this forum. With out this forum I would be a bit frustrated and a bit helpless, so thank you all that have helped me up until now and I will thank those in advance that will be helping me in the future:mrgreen:

SMF
February 17th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Well I'm fairly new to Linux, and I've ditched Windows completly.

It's entirely up to your comfort level with the OS, will you be able to survive without Windows?

Keep in mind that those nice windows programs can run under WINE, or even better a VMware installation of WindowsXP (which is what I'm doing).

Ya bro that is a good question. Can I survive with out Win OS? I think I can. I guess I should give a little more time. I guess the other final test would be how does my box handle lets movies from the internet? Does linux have a p2p system like limewire or bear share? Never used torrent.

Let me try and learn about this wine and VMware and see how I do there.

Thanks.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
February 17th, 2006, 01:55 AM
I'm not a pro but yes, I have dumped windows completly. It is crap, I only like it b/c of it's interface but otherwise it's crap. :)

openmind
February 17th, 2006, 01:55 AM
Ubuntu was my first real Linux, I had played a little with Knoppix and Mepis but nothing serious. Within a few weeks of installing Breezy I realized I was booting to it and using it primarily. A week later I had uninstalled Win XP and haven't looked back since.

There's always something to replace win apps, just takes a little work sometimes, no big deal.

RaiSuli
February 17th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Also no expert at all, but I only boot into Windows now and then to play games. If you're not a gamer and you feel at home here, as you say, then you shouldn't have a problem ditching Windows.

Gimbo
February 17th, 2006, 02:15 AM
There's always something to replace win apps, just takes a little work sometimes, no big deal.

My view is that if you're dual-booting, the only good reason to uninstall Windows is to free up hard disk space. Windows isn't costing you money, and for the rare occasions when there isn't anything to replace windows applications (e.g. if you have a Sony MP3 player), it's useful to have.

Also, if you mess up your Ubuntu installation (I managed to break X11), it's nice to know you can boot to Windows and find help for your problem.

rjwood
February 17th, 2006, 02:19 AM
I'm no pro---far far from it and I dumped windows the minute I installed Ubuntu. My first Linux distro BTW.:D

Madpilot
February 17th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Like rjwood, I went cold-turkey from XP to Ubuntu 5.04, and can't see any reason to go back.

I can do more stuff on Linux than I ever could on MS, and all far more securely!

Plus, when I have problems/issues with a Linux program, there's a better-than-even chance I can contact one of the developers directly to learn about fixes or report bugs - try doing that with Redmond!

theturner
February 17th, 2006, 02:42 AM
I ditched Windows entirely in 2001 (I still had it for gaming, but then I needed space to install BeOS). It was a relief!

bonzodog
February 17th, 2006, 02:48 AM
heh...I dumped windows completely in 99, so 7 years free of windows here. But, I only really use the internet, so I am happy with FireFox, Xchat, and xmms most days. Gaim for IM. I do play Mahjonng when I get bored. But I do consider myself 'experienced' with linux, considering most of those last few years have been with Slackware.

Protostar
February 17th, 2006, 02:53 AM
I'm guess I'm Windows free by force. I screwed up my Windows installation when trying to install/update Windows 2000 and don't care enough to try and fix it. I nearly have Ubuntu configured the way I want to. I'll be constantly tweaking it though.

Protex
February 17th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Protex Wow that is awesome and very inspirational. I am not much of a gamer any more, Just downloaded games to kill time.
So you are saying that alot of the programs I have like PSP+ and the likes can be installed on my linux box? I have alot of programs. I mean a lot. Would there be some programs that would not work?
Honestly the way things are going I could kill this Windows XP OS. It is so high maintainace. I know you know what I mean.

Keep talking to me. I am all ears:mrgreen:

BTW I feel very comfortable with ubuntu even though this is my first Linux box and I have been on it for 2 days but the reasuring thing is this forum. With out this forum I would be a bit frustrated and a bit helpless, so thank you all that have helped me up until now and I will thank those in advance that will be helping me in the future:mrgreen:

Yes, try to get comfortable with WINE and VMware before you make the complete jump. Without this forum, I myself would have been dumbfounded many a time. You have to love Linux for it's community.

Feel free to send me a PM with any specific questions and I shall do what I can to help.

Emma S
February 17th, 2006, 03:25 AM
I've wanted to get rid of my XPP partition for ages,but I don't want to be without my games.

_RoD_
February 17th, 2006, 03:26 AM
I just recently started using Linux. At first it was a little uncomfortable, I had a few problems that I, eventually got fixed with the help of a friend. After reading a few newbieguides I find myself less and less depending on Windows. I consider myself almost Windows free at this point.

Estariel
February 17th, 2006, 04:15 AM
I've been using linux exclusively since 2002.
I started with SuSE, ended up in dependency hell ( I hate rpms), tried Debian for a few months (too outdated packages), switched to Gentoo, loved it for its package management and stayed with that for 2 years. A year ago I started using Ubuntu, since now that I am a grad student I can't invest as much time in Genoo as it would need (and I have no plans of going back, since ubuntu just works and has fairly recent packages as well).

I've never had windows installed in all this time.

As a matter of fact, I couldn't use windows without serious trouble.
When using Windows, I keep hitting alt+F2 to start programs. Of course it doesn't work.
I keep copy&pasting by using the middle mouse button. That doesn't work in windows either.
I analyze all my data with xmgrace (which wouldn't run on windows without lots of trouble).
I love the kate text editor. It does perfect syntax highlighting and I'm so used to it that I wouldn't want to code in a different environment.
As far as I've heard, Itunes is nice, but I'm in love with amaroK.
My life revolves around my to do list and calendar in KDE's Kontact. I don't have a clue how I'd get that to windows (and I don't want it there).

Summing up, we may say that I don't want to use windows. Luckily I don't have to.

nalmeth
February 17th, 2006, 04:17 AM
I have totally parted with windows.

taurus
February 17th, 2006, 05:18 AM
I don't play games so I don't need Windows because I can do everything that I need and more with Linux. So, my two computers at work are 100% Windows free and will be free forever... ;)

myluckismany
February 17th, 2006, 05:37 AM
I completely ditched windows on my laptop. Reason being it stuggles to run XP. Breezy runs perfectly fine on it! I've still got windows on my main computer because im a bit of a gamer. Maybe if i get a 64 bit soon i might whack breezy 64bit on there! :D

annsachd
February 17th, 2006, 06:39 AM
I've never used Windows. I've worked on Macs and PCs with Linux installed.

I don't know what I'm missing because I've never had to work on them, luckily!

My work is on Macs so I'll never have to work on Windows.

It would be cool if the Mac programs could make it over to Linux but that will never happen.

xtacocorex
February 17th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Aside from needing to use ultra-expensive proprietary engineering analysis software on campus (and most of that is now Linux based), I've pretty much been using Linux for the past year and a half straight. I think the only program that I need Windows for is SolidWorks since Iowa State doesn't have a decent Linux based CAD program.

If my laptop didn't suck, I'd get Cedega for my flight simulators, but for those, I can always use my wifes computer...

griz
February 17th, 2006, 06:57 AM
I'm definately not a guru (a big thanks to all of you on this forum who've helped me in the past :p ) but this computer has never had a windows os on it. I Started with Redhat, Mandrake, Fedora then I found Ubuntu. Had Warty installed, loved it, loaded Breezy onto the second hard drive and loved it even more. Now I've replaced Warty with Dapper and I don't think I'll go back. A few small niggles, but hey, it's still in development isn't it.

Anyway, consider what you are doing with your computer. If you can configure Ubuntu so it looks and acts the way you like it, why use windows?

Griz.

kennethb
February 17th, 2006, 07:11 AM
I've escaped Windows. However, my work requires me to keep a seperate Windows box running with some "Windows only" apps running. That is because the US government has embraces Microsoft as the "core" computer OS. My work is deeply ingrained in state, local, and federal goverment agencies in the United States. It is amazing to see the waste in tax-payers dollars going to Microsoft in licensing fees and requirements in the bidding process for new IT projects.

ardchoille
February 17th, 2006, 07:24 AM
well, I don't consider myself a pro in Linux but I completely dumped the Windows OS five years ago when I installed Linux. Windows, in my opinion, is nothing more than a collection of garbage masquerading as an operating system wannabe and I'll never touch it again. Linux, on the other hand, is a very nice operating system.

EIDT: I'd like to mention that I had a job that required me to use Windows, and my boss would not allow me to install Linux, so I quit my job because I refused to use Windows.

BoyOfDestiny
February 17th, 2006, 09:02 AM
I was curious as to wether or not any of you pros have dumped Windows and only live in Linux land? I could seriously do with out Windows OS from the way I see how ubuntu has been. I mean sure I love all the nice progs like PaintShop Pro and PhotoShop and all the other millions of Windows Programs I have but honestly I could do with out and it would simplfy my life. What do the experts think and feel about this?

I consider myself an enthusiast. :) I dumped windows, if you really need your apps, there is always WINE or an emulator (although that would require windows or reactos I guess).
What I enjoy about computers was defintely kept alive by GPL software, it has elements that make things exciting again. Versus the dread I was I feeling with the direction windows was going (and now is taking).

I say just remove windows, and enjoy. Back up any vital data you need, or just plop in a new drive. It is a lot more fun in my book. Besides, you always have the choice to go back if you change your mind.

Edward The Bonobo
February 17th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Not a guru...and I have a supplementary question:

'Would you feel confident advising someone to ditch Windows immediately and use Ubuntu instead?'

I doubt it. Now...I'm not complaining. I hope to be able to ditch Windows myself. In fact, the way it's going, my Windows installation may be about to make that decision on my behalf.

However...I'm presently struggling with a difficult period of transition. Until such time as I can make the many, many tweaks I still have to find time in my busy life to get around to, I'm having to boot into Windows to do even some fairly simple tasks. OK...part of it is to do with my own learning curve...but when I need to type a note for my kid's teacher in a hurry, I simply don't have the time to work out how to get Ubuntu to talk to my printer.

Am I being unfair? Is it reasonable to say that the transition is not pain-free?

Mr.X
February 17th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Reading through every reply here, it seems most people have completely switched to linux, just going back for MP3 support or gaming ;)
I have switched to linux on this computer (main computer i use 99.99% of time), and never EVER going back! :D

BoyOfDestiny
February 17th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Not a guru...and I have a supplementary question:

'Would you feel confident advising someone to ditch Windows immediately and use Ubuntu instead?'

I doubt it. Now...I'm not complaining. I hope to be able to ditch Windows myself. In fact, the way it's going, my Windows installation may be about to make that decision on my behalf.

However...I'm presently struggling with a difficult period of transition. Until such time as I can make the many, many tweaks I still have to find time in my busy life to get around to, I'm having to boot into Windows to do even some fairly simple tasks. OK...part of it is to do with my own learning curve...but when I need to type a note for my kid's teacher in a hurry, I simply don't have the time to work out how to get Ubuntu to talk to my printer.

Am I being unfair? Is it reasonable to say that the transition is not pain-free?

Perfectly fine. It depends mostly on people's current experience (may have to "unlearn" and re-learn things"), your hardware (something bleeding edge, or too weak, may have trouble right off the bat), and your needs (if you want to play the latest and greatest Windows based games maybe you shouldn't switch).

My printer was easier to install in ubuntu than in windows (no driver disc for ubuntu... yay).

If I know they have incompatible hardware, software that doesn't run under wine with no decent clone. I wouldn't recommend it. If you use your machine to listen to music, surf the web, write papers, burn cds, etc etc. I'd recommend they try it, at least a live cd. It It does vary, if what you do in Windows, you can do in Ubuntu, just switch. I would not hesitate to suggest it.

arctic
February 17th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Ditched Windows in 2002. Never looked back.

zapcojake
February 17th, 2006, 04:30 PM
No windows here, Linux in general and especially Ubuntu has done an excellent job of reaching out to "Joe User" in the last little while. I think any open minded individual can use Linux in place of windows and be satisfied. This web forum is a good way to resolve any issues.

zapcojake
February 17th, 2006, 04:31 PM
btw-- I am certainly no expert.

Gimbo
February 17th, 2006, 05:30 PM

when I need to type a note for my kid's teacher in a hurry, I simply don't have the time to work out how to get Ubuntu to talk to my printer.

As for most questions, my answer to this is "It depends".

In terms of advising someone to ditch Windows immediately, I would say that most of the time this just isn't practical. As you suggest, the ability to pop back into Windows when basic things like printing don't work is, in my experience, incredibly useful. When you've got a piece of work due in the next day, you aren't going to enjoy spending hours trying to configure your printer.

I was slightly unusual in that I had a fairly old, non-standard HP printer that isn't compatible with Linux in a straightforward way. However, I doubt there's many current Windows users who don't (whether they know it or not) have at least one piece of hardware or software that isn't compatible with Linux.

On the issue of how "pain-free" the transition is, I'd guess that for most people it will involve at least some frustration. When changing from one OS to another, it's inevitable that people will eventually hit a brick wall. Forums like this are great at overcoming these obstacles, but when you've got an urgent problem, it's far simpler to be able to do it the way you're familiar with.

Basically, I think it's pretty reckless to advise people to "ditch" the OS they're used to completely and start afresh. As such, I'd always advise people to dual boot until they're confident they won't run into problems in the future.

CookieOrc
February 17th, 2006, 07:19 PM
I Have a dual boot. I cant ditch windows cause non of my roommates know what Linux is... Probly dont even know how to spell it...

KeyboardJockey
February 17th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I'm an absolute Noob with Linux and the advice about dual boot until proficient is a very good one.

It's taken me nearly a Fortnight to get Ubuntu 'running' and I had to do a Breezy install as my ham fisted efforts had managed to mangle Hoary. If I hadn't had XP on the other partition I wouldn't have been able to DL Breezy so it got me out of a big hole that I was in.

As with any new OS it takes time to get your head round stuff especialy if you are an 'appliance operator' like me.:)

plexi50
February 17th, 2006, 08:58 PM
For day to day use, I am 100% Ubuntu: email, internet, mp3, scanner, etc. I keep my windows machine for a couple of reasons: music producition software (not ready nor have time to learn Linux alt, but looking at them now) dvd burning/copying (nothing in linux works like DVD Decrypter/DVD Shrink under windows, and I can use Wine) and some webpages/flash sound/video ( I have it about 90% there but some webpages like youtube.com will not work)

Lord Illidan
February 17th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I don't consider myself a pro...although I know something about Linux, it is the result of hard work, and I learn something every day..

I have ditched Windows from my main computer, though something tells me that I might have to re-install it to play Battle for Middle Earth 2. (If only they make a Linux version!!).

I don't play too many games, however, and Linux is perfect for me.

wrtrdood
February 17th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I haven't used windows on my personal machines for over 15 years. I owned Amigas and had no use for M$. Funny thing since part of my job was as an NT admin. I got enough of the pile-o-junk at work to last me a lifetime. It was only on my home machine long enough to get familiar with it to advance my work knowledge. As a VMS and Unix admin I just didn't have much use for a wannabe OS...

Perfect Storm
February 17th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Havn't got windows on my computer now for some couple of years.

nickle
February 17th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I have never used windooos at home. Just linux for the last6 years. I do up-loading, downloading, p2p, photos, videos, music (all formats), scientific document writing, web-site creation all with GPL software.... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I am NOT an expert, just a curious user. If I have an issue, I usually find the solution on the web. Incidently the latter has improved greatly and in this respect Ubuntu is the best.

az
February 17th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I was without a computer for a long time (ten years?). Someone bought me one and I ran Windows98 for about six months. I then switched to linux and never had a reason to run windows again.

Some people may have a reason to do so, but I haven't.

TrendyDark
February 17th, 2006, 10:07 PM
I'm a web-junkie. I like to code things and mess around with graphics, see what I can come up with. I must say, that area is where Ubuntu loses it's touch for me. So, I have a 20-gig partition with Windows XP, for Dreamweaver and Photoshop. I also have had problems getting TeamSpeak to work properly when playing Enemy Territory in Linux, so I use Windows for that too.

It's really all up to you on what you do.

carlosqueso
February 17th, 2006, 11:45 PM
I dual boot on my main computer, but when it broke I was forced to go to my all-ubuntu backup which I bought used without an OS. Still, I haven't had any problems except that my old soundcard doesn't seem to work and I can't be bothered to try to get it working. We'll see how I do when I get my main one back next week.

Brunellus
February 17th, 2006, 11:54 PM
I have to use windows at the office. I hate it; I'd much rather have my home computer.

At home, I keep a windows partition for Call of Duty, and that's pretty much it. I boot into it maybe once every other month; otherwise, I'm all Ubuntu, all the time.

When I build a computer for myself, it will be Linux only.

Ghetto_Smurf
February 18th, 2006, 12:36 AM
i use Linux a lot, but i have to use windows at school (bill gates is creating a cybercommunism back here in Portugal), also have to use it in the only pc with net in the house (parents dont like Linux, but sure didn't tried it). in my pc i have windows/ubuntu dual boot but dont load with windows very much. in the future the pc will be exclusively Linux

bixin
February 18th, 2006, 12:43 AM
My laptop runs XP but my desktop is Linux. I thank god for Linux, it has saved my *** twice now. When I first got my notebook, I have no clue what happened I got the BSOD and tech support could only tell me reformat my hard drive. WTF??!! so I research and it was rumored that Knoppix could solve my problem, sure enough, I got it fixed in a day no muss no fuss. Hard drive on desktop took a nose dive, it was my fault stupid static, knoppix to the rescue got my stuff going.
My family has used nothing but Windows for years, I toyed with knoppix. Well when the hard drive failed on us I said well I will try linux. Nosed around the internet and found Ubuntu, installed it and we have been in a romantic love affair since. Everyone else is timid with it but they are coming up to speed quickly, now that I have everything working and moving same as windows. As far as kids go, every parent should have linux. They can't download all that spyware, virus riddled crap, they can't just delete files on a moments notice. Its nice. Will I completely disconnect maybe, I want to get a little more expierence in it first.

AND THANK YOU TO UBUNTU FORUMS AND EVERYONE ON HERE, IF I HAVE ASKED A QUESTION AND YOU HAVE HELPED THANK YOU, I USUALLY JUST SEARCH FOR MY SOLUTION ON HERE SO THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT PUTS UP A SOLUTION TO THEIR PROBLEM(keep it in the threads, it helps us lurkers out more than you know), THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

n1gke
February 18th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Not a pro, but I have many computers working.
Using the latest Dapper Drake v6.04, I truly appreciate Ubuntu vs other flavors Linux.

Ubuntu was easiest to install and run, like anything else, it takes patience, lots of patience when learning something new.

I am Linux user for two years. There are still three computers using ](*,) Windows, I keep them just for the knowledge to assist others when they are in a jamb.

Ubuntu, the best for new Linux folk, also good for someone who is just Linux smart too.

There is nothing that can't be done in Linux, and it just keeps getting better all the time.

MHO

Kimm
February 18th, 2006, 11:47 AM
<-- completely ditched windows!!

bscbrit
February 18th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I dual-booted for a while (about 6 months altogether) and, after trying Mandrake, Fedora, Slackware and others I found that I preferred Ubuntu. Started with Warty and stayed with it. Dumped Windows altogether about 12-18 months ago - the final break is significant because it forces you to stop being lazy and switching back to windows simply because you do not know how to do something! Since then, I have discovered more and more about Linux and wonder why I ever had problems. Yes, we all have them but they do disappear! My wife uses it as well, she supports several charities using OpenOffice, email and the web. Neither of us want to change back and I curse nowadays when I get asked to help fix a friend's windows computer.

moopet
February 19th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I've used quite a few OS over the years, and have experience in a fair few linux distros - I tried ubuntu because my girlfriend gave me a CD and liked it enough to make it my sole system on my main laptop. I also have use of an XP laptop and an ibook but I only use them when my laptop is busy.
For someone like me, who uses a computer to fiddle around with things, browse the web and send email, I'm happy with most things; ubuntu is the nicest linux I've tried and I'll stick with it until I find something even nicer.

patrick295767
February 19th, 2006, 03:04 PM
With a Macintosh and/or Linux, you can do everthg u were doing with windows, and much more !!

Sooo.... Why waiting before dumping your Windows XP install cd ...

Greetz

Pat'

patrick295767
February 19th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I have never used windooos at home. Just linux for the last6 years. I do up-loading, downloading, p2p, photos, videos, music (all formats), scientific document writing, web-site creation all with GPL software.... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I am NOT an expert, just a curious user. If I have an issue, I usually find the solution on the web. Incidently the latter has improved greatly and in this respect Ubuntu is the best.

I found your post...Which programs are u using for ur 'scientific document writing' ?
Do you know Endnote (using it or replacing)?

Thank you,

Patrick

unbutuju
February 19th, 2006, 03:58 PM
I am not a pro, at linux ... yet :-) at windows i could say i am an experienced guy!
... no I still have one desktop with win2k and i like this OS, before that one win98se was the best they came up with, another desktop I have dual boot, winxppro (not my favorite) but i need it for testing, learnning, teaching, etc... its what almost everybody uses, so i need it. Also, and now, ubuntu, after several years learning linux with red hat 9, and then fedora, and also tryed slackware 10, all dual booted with at least one MS OS, all worked fine, and also have my laptop, a simple unbranded laptop for some portable needs, where dualboot also working now with ubuntu, before that had fedora FC4, after doing the breezy shipit i got 5 nice cd's wich now only have one, other have ownwer already as far i know 2 are trying it already!......oops lost miself!

Anywais, since i had my first real contact with Linux, RH7, i never gave up on it, i made pauses and came back to it several times, made many interesting things wich what ever distro it was and but now this ubuntu "thing" got me, i even made an avatar for me hehe!

I never was a command guru, started computers with a ZX Spectrum 128K :-) I remeber writing nice little games in Basic, and that was the only writting i made, after that IBMPS1 and so on so on, gradualy specialized in hardware, leaving software behind... on windows, DOS stayed behind, very little used, so this could be an avantage for me and Linux command line! All this to say, NO, I will not "dump" win OS so soon as most of it involves my job, but I sure want Linux, whatever distro or even other OS, to be equaly spread and used as MS, and that someday all of them will be compatible.... I know I know, sounds like alice in wonder land, but it could happen ... then you could simply choose what best suits your needs!

So even not being a pro my repply is NO, I havent, rigth now I am posting from my Ubuntu at a very nice faitfull PIII600MHz with a 40Gb Hd with 3 parts, hda1 and hda2 for xp, and hda3 and hda4 for Ubuntu! and its working beautifull, now I am exploring the great synaptic tool :-)

Sorry if I went out of subject on a few lines but not english native here...

XDevHald
February 19th, 2006, 04:14 PM
I duel booted with Windows and Ubuntu for about a month because of college last year, but did a fresh install of Hoary, and then from there went to Breezy and then Dapper and now debugging with Dapper and doing a lot of work with it.

I dumped Windows totally because of no backend administration tools that I need when I use linux, thus windows does not allow you to open commands like linux, which is a huge deal for administrators and users who do a lot of package building.

With that being said, my answer is yes, Windows is gone for good, even if people think vista will out rank even what Elive has to offer. (It will never happen) :)

kvorion
February 19th, 2006, 04:15 PM
I still use Win Xp for the general purposes. I use Linux for programming and learning stuff.

chimera
February 19th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I deleted my XP partition a couple months ago, but I've been only using ubuntu anyway, the last time I booted this PC into windows was probably more than six months ago.

bjtuna
March 8th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I dumped Windows completely 10 years ago. My only experience with Windows since that time has been in a couple of sysadmin jobs where I had to maintain a few Windows machines. My desktops since making the switch have all been FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Mac OS X and Linux (more flavors of Linux than I can count, but I basically migrated from RedHat to Slackware to Gentoo to Ubuntu over the past 8 years).

jda86
March 8th, 2006, 11:18 PM
I'd been dual-booting Windows with Fedora for about a year before I threw a major conniption fit at Bill's software and low-level formatted my machine about six months ago and not looked back since. I'm a programmer so Linux is even better for me than windows (less stressful anyway)

manicka
March 8th, 2006, 11:24 PM
I virtually never boot into windows but I do have a duel boot for the rest of the family who aren't particularly interested in why I use Linux.

%hMa@?b<C
March 9th, 2006, 12:49 AM
I have used Linux Exclusively (except for at school) for about 6months
as for your question about P2P programs, here is your solution

wget http://nchc.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/frostwire/FrostWire-4.10.5-0.i586.deb
then

sudo dpkg -i FrostWire-4.10.5-0.i586.deb

Coolit
March 9th, 2006, 01:32 AM
I've ditched windows in the house but I'm forced to admin it at work. The last thing I want to do is come home and look at a M$ system which would make me feel like I'm still at work (lol). The thing that kept me using windows at home was games, but I've found Cedega to be adequate for my needs so good buy windows! hello Linux!!

Before moving totally to Linux I did a duel boot with xp for over a year.

BugenhagenXIII
March 9th, 2006, 02:21 AM
I've been linux only (Ubuntu) for two or three months. It wasn't by choice, my desktop stopped working and I can't fix it until I save up some money, and my laptop has been running linux only for about a year. Now that I've been forced to use linux exclusively, I'm most definately dual booting my desktop, using windows only for the occasional game. My only worry is my ATI graphics card. Does anyone know how well the Radeon 9800Pro works with Ubuntu?

Piggah
March 9th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Well, I havn't completely "dumped" windows. I don't use it at all though. The only times I will use Windows is if I break something on ubuntu and need to look for a fix or if by some off chance I can't get something to work and I need to have it done right away (school stuff, etc.). Another reason I keep Windows around is because a.) I paid for it and b.) I have a 250gig hard drive of which I use about 20% of and have more than enough space to spare for a Windows partition and a Linux partition. So that's no bother to me.

I am doing pretty much 100% Linux though. I don't ever use Windows and havn't booted into it for at least a month or so. I'm pretty much Windows free besides a small partition where it sits and rots. :P

ShanghaiTeej
March 9th, 2006, 09:17 AM
I dumped Windows about a year ago and haven't installed it on my reserved slave hard drive like I originally planned (for games). I just don't want to go through all that updating of the service packs (1 and 2) and all that virus and spam stuff. I'd rather just use linux....

Klejs
March 9th, 2006, 09:25 AM
I've stopped using Windows for life now, I've used various dists in an dual-boot with Windows XP Professional earlier. And 2 days ago I made an decision and switched to GNU/Linux and I cant be happier :D

And the strange thing have happened that I thought never would happen; when I got into the computer room in my school today the Windows OS feels wrong, slow and uggly \\:D/ This means that I've made the right decision and I think many of you out there would feel the same thing.

Linux for life!

Lovechild
March 9th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Yep.. I haven't run Windows in about 7 years.

nocturn
March 9th, 2006, 11:16 AM

I've been windows free since 1999, so that would be a big yes.

AndyCooll
March 9th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I have used Linux Exclusively (except for at school) for about 6months
as for your question about P2P programs, here is your solution

wget http://nchc.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/frostwire/FrostWire-4.10.5-0.i586.deb
then

sudo dpkg -i FrostWire-4.10.5-0.i586.deb

Or, even better Apollon using a Gift backend. Searches multiple P2P networks (e.g.Gnutella, Fasttrack etc). Probably not as straightforward to set-up but works great.

HowTo: Install Gift/Apollon (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=59857)

:cool:

AndyCooll
March 9th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I keep XP dual-booting on 1 PC since I've paid for it. Only actually use it when I want to play one game that I play constantly (Football Manager 2006).

I haven't ever managed to get FM running satisfactorily using Wine, otherwise I'd be XP free. In fact I'm finding that since everything else I do is using Linux I'm playing FM less and less. Just need Bygfoot (Linux football management game) to keep improving. :D

:cool:

e^e
March 9th, 2006, 05:33 PM
no expert here. i've been using linux for nearly a year without windows and it's been a blast. It's probably because I don't use windows only programs like photoshop etc., and not much of a gamer either. so it's all good.

Bandit
March 9th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I hate windows. I think its garbage..
I ONLY have linux on my system and its Ubuntu 64bit..

Sirin
March 9th, 2006, 05:59 PM
I need Dreamweaver & Fireworks & Flash, and there's nothing that VMware, QEMU, or WINE can do. It slows down to turtle speed. I still need Windows.

Master Shake
March 9th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Until I can find a good replacement for..

1) Paint Shop Pro and Animation Shop (Gimp doesn't cut it. Pixel looks promising, and I have yet to try CinePaint)

2) Frugal Video Poker (KPoker (I think its called) doesn't cut it at all)

3) My selection of puzzle games from Kaser.com (They are working on Linux versions)

Once all three of these are addressed, I MAY get rid of windows totally (I say MAY because I'm married, and the wife prefers Windows :) )

xequence
March 9th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I wont get rid of windows because:

- uTorrent isnt on linux
- unreal tournament is alot harder to get working
- foobar2000 isnt on linux
- Many other programs arnt on linux

For me, when I have linux on my computer it is more of a toy to play around and learn things.

John.Michael.Kane
March 9th, 2006, 06:53 PM
No windows on this drive.. "If It Can't Run On Linux It Don't Run At All" atleast on my machine...

Brunellus
March 9th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I wont get rid of windows because:

- uTorrent isnt on linux
- unreal tournament is alot harder to get working
- foobar2000 isnt on linux
- Many other programs arnt on linux

For me, when I have linux on my computer it is more of a toy to play around and learn things.
foobar2k runs in WINE just fine. I just prefer rbox.

jeremy
March 9th, 2006, 07:44 PM
I have exclusively used (ubuntu) Linux for about 18 months now.

xequence
March 9th, 2006, 07:58 PM
foobar2k runs in WINE just fine. I just prefer rbox.

Really? I didnt know that.

But WINE is still not as fast as nativly... But ill try it on my new computer when I install linux.

Bandit
March 9th, 2006, 08:09 PM
No windows on this drive.. "If It Can't Run On Linux It Don't Run At All" atleast on my machine...
Darn right!!

Stormy Eyes
March 9th, 2006, 09:37 PM
I was curious as to wether or not any of you pros have dumped Windows and only live in Linux land?

I only use Windows at work. At home, I use Linux.

Teroedni
March 9th, 2006, 09:45 PM
I have completely dumped windows

I did it after running ubuntu for a week:P

halitech
April 1st, 2006, 05:10 AM
I've been using windows for years (start with DOS 5 and Win 3.1 and right up to XP) and a few weeks ago I found this version of LInux (which I've always been interested in and have tried to instal on more occasions then I could count and always failed) call Ubuntu. I downloaded the live cd to try it and to my delight, I found everythign worked right out of the box. I played for a few days with the live cd then decided to install it on my second drive. I found at first I was still spending more time in windows then linux because I couldn't get a movie to convert and burn to dvd in linux and that is what I spend alot of my time doing. I then found a tutorial for converting and burning dvds, I was delighted. I then decided to convert a 25 gig partition over to linux and screwed it totally, couldn't boot either linux or win2k. I decided that night to just install linux and haven't looked back. I found with having to do things in linux I looked harder to find a resolution and because of that, I know have wine running properly, I can download and burn movies and I've also converted a sup at work over to ubuntu and talked them into setting up a linux box (ubuntu of course) at work. now just need to figure out a way of getting it on the net without the IT department finding out or getting the dvds burnt for the repositories.

IYY
April 1st, 2006, 06:26 AM
No more Windows here.

ncappel1
April 18th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I'm not a pro by any means, but I use Ubuntu everyday. I havn't had windows on my computer since early december. I'm glad you're so happy, it's good to see people post messages that are positive, instead of the same old, my windows programs won't work in linux, therefore there must be something wrong with linux. We have to be willing to learn new things! my project I am starting soon is learning how to type with vim.

Virak
April 18th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I've been Ubuntu only for a few months now, ever since the rest of my family got their own computer (It's mine now, all MINE! MWAHAHAHAHA!).

white_tiger_daniel
April 19th, 2006, 06:15 AM
I have completely ditched Windows and switched to Linux and I am far from pro status. I have ditched windows to the extent that I would almost like to set fire to anything with a Microsoft logo on.

If it says "Works on Windows 3.1 or better", why won't it work on Linux?

D

eecon
April 19th, 2006, 07:07 AM
I went Linux-only two years ago and havn't looked back.

SolidAndShade
April 19th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Back in 2002 I was running an OS you may have fond memories of... Win 98. I'd also toyed with Debian on the side. One day my computer crashed for the hundredth time and I found I couldn't reboot because the registry was corrupted. So I said "Screw you too, Bill," pulled out my Debian CDs and never looked back. It was rough for a few days when I had schoolwork to complete and I couldn't get X working, but it worked out. Then a few years later Ubuntu came along, and the rest is history.

akiro.yamamoto
May 7th, 2006, 05:29 AM
I know I'm not a Linux or an Ubuntu GURU but I cannot remember the last time I actually used WinXP.... I think it was sometime last year??!?!!? ;)
But I guess my case is probably special.... I'm not a heavy gamer... the games I use can either run with Wine/Cedega (Jedi Academy), have a linux client (Quake4 , MOHAA)or are Console emulated games (like Samurai Showdown and Mario World.... (ah the good old days :) )).
I use DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter when I need to back up a DVD movie.
Other than that I use only Linux apps for my everyday use. I don't even use Adobe Reader (Evice is my default ;) )

kennethb
May 8th, 2006, 05:19 AM
I have been using Ubuntu Linux on my work laptop for over a year. I really enjoy it's stability. I alos belive that computers should not be used for "entertainment" (e.g., listening to music, watching movies); maybe Apple will prove me wrong; maybe Apple and Microsoft will be the next "targets" for the problem of childhood obesity -- oops, I'm getting off topic here.

I use Linux for it's command line (terminal) tools. I use gedit and gftp quite a bit for work. I also use Skype, but I wish it's Linux client was better supported.