PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] blurry screen in 9.10 with Intel GMA X4500HD

KnobDoctor
November 5th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Hi all. I posted this in a different forum the other day but I realize now it was probably the wrong one. I'm new to Ubuntu (and trying my best) but I am running into an issue that I can't seem to resolve.

I have built a new PC using a Shuttle SG45 (with onboard Intel X4500HD graphics, VGA and HDMI output), a Celeron E3200, 2 GB RAM, and a 500 GB hard drive. I installed Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit without a hitch.

However...

I have a 24" LG W2452T monitor running at 1920x1200 @ 60 Hz. In Ubuntu, the screen appears blurry.

At first, I thought this was a font issue (and searching Google indicated that a lot of people were having font issues), but I wasn't able to get things to look good. To me it looks as though the images are blurry as well. Eyestrain has been a real problem.

I tried installing KDE to see if this would help. It's a little better for eyestrain, but the fonts are still blurry. I tried comparing the same image at the same resolution on the same monitor using both XP and Ubuntu on different PC's, and it is definitely blurrier.

The problem is not my monitor or the cable -- I am running XP on another PC attached to the same monitor via a KVM switch, and everything is crisp and clear. The same is true when I connect my netbook to the KVM using the same cable that the Ubuntu box is on. (This is using VGA cables, by the way.)

I am assuming that this is an issue with the Intel DRM driver -- it appears that some people have had performance issues with Intel chipsets, but my issue may not be related -- but it seems to be installed correctly and I can't see any kind of control panel that would allow me to tweak the settings.

I really am interested in getting Ubuntu to work correctly on this box but the eyestrain is going to be a showstopper for me, but I want to learn if there is a way to fix the problem.

The Shuttle does have a PCI Express slot in it, but I'm reluctant to buy a new video card unless I think I'll actually be able to make it work.

Any advice would be appreciated.

pithy
August 15th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I'm pretty sure I have the same issue, only I have Ubuntu 11.04. I'm running a prebuilt ASUS desktop with an onboard Intel GMA X4500 HD. The entire monitor is filled with tiny waves which quicken at higher refresh rates and become larger with lower resolutions. The blurry screen is bearable with larger images, but it makes small text a pain to read. The issue is not hardware related as the BIOS screen is exempt from the waves and just a few days ago it ran Windows 7 without an issue. I also used the monitor and cable on my laptop, which works fine (windows 7).

I'm convinced the issue is driver related, but I have been unable to find the right driver.