PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Desktops Installed... but...

Odin Overland
November 5th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Hey everyone. I am new to Ubuntu and Linux, and I am mainly using it for entertaining myself and trying to learn something new (and getting myself in way over my head;)). I started out by installing with the Edubuntu 9.10 iso (I am dual booting between Ubuntu and Mac OS 10.6 on my 2,1 MacBook). Just today I decided to install the Kubuntu and Xubuntu desktops so I could switch back and forth on the log-in screen. I wonder now if I did something wrong though.

When booting the OS it now shows the Kubuntu graphic where it used to show Ubuntu, and my log in screen is now Xubuntu. As I said, I started out with Edubuntu (which as I understand is just Ubuntu with extra packages), then I installed the Kubuntu Desktop, then the Xuubuntu Desktop.

I wonder if I was supposed to install the Desktop ONLY instead of also downloading the default settings and such. Is this an issue? If so how do I fix it? Run the command for removing the desktops (which I hope is posted for 9.10 already seeing as how the commands are different for everything). Would I reinstall using only Desktop packages and nothing else?

Maybe this is what is supposed to happen, I don't know. All I know is I am using GNOME right now and I have either the KDE or the XFCE mouse... and it's ticking me off:mad:

Thanks for any help or advice.

Ilalmi
November 5th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Hi,

have a look at http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/. The section "Playing Around" should answer your questions.

Odin Overland
November 6th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Since i didn't have much on my Edubuntu partition anyway, I just went ahead and deleted it and reinstalled Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit. It's nice being back just in GNOME, although I actually experienced my first crash after a restart while using Ubuntu Software Center... nothing major.

I did do some reading before attempting to add the other desktops in, but probably not enough (the warnings that I read were very general and made it sound like people were complaining about nothing... maybe I was too:p).

Anyway, thought I would update the situation. Thanks.