PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Very odd audio problem

Rhett Allen
November 5th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Everywhere I have looked is generally suggesting fixes to no audio or a mic that doesn't work. For me, audio plays, but it almost sounds as though it's compressed with a horrible bit rate (no low frequencies and very distorted in a digital sense).

However, here's the extremely odd part (or at least I think so): if I play another file with audio concurrently, the audio quality sounds perfectly fine. So say I want to watch a movie. I have to pull up my music player, load up a song, select "repeat", turn down the audio in the music player to 0 and then the movie's audio is fine. However, as soon as I stop the audio player, the movie's audio is crappy.

I just got into Linux not but 3 days ago, so I did a first time install of Karmic Koala, I would assume this gives me the latest and greatest ALSA? My sound card is a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 card.

By the way, Linux is AMAZING! We need to get rid of all the horrible misconceptions and lies that had me avoiding trying it (not to mention I didn't know about the LiveCD thing).