PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a 100 euros coupon... buy Windows 7 or ubuntu compatible hardware?

the8thstar
November 5th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Hello all,

I would like your honest opinion about a purchase. My cable company gave me a 100 euros (US$140) coupon to spend in an electronics store.

Now I am wondering what I should do: buy an upgrade of Windows 7 Home Premium or buy a new printer and a new webcam that would be compatible with Ubuntu.

Windows 7 Pros : my existing hardware is 100% supported and I don't have to rely on a time limited RC edition anymore

Windows 7 Cons : Windows upgrade is expensive (119 euros)

Printer + webcam Pros : new hardware that can finally work with Ubuntu without having to reboot into Windows

Printer + webcam Cons : what am I gonna do with a webcam and a printer that work perfectly? And what about software regressions in later editions of Ubuntu?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

blueturtl
November 5th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Pragmatic choices:

If you need Windows 7 and don't know what to do with printer/web cam then go with Windows.

If you could use a printer and web cam then buy those.

Choice of principle:

If you believe in free software and Ubuntu, giving your money to hardware makers that support Linux is a good way to vote with your wallet.

If you really dislike Microsoft or their products, not spending on Windows might also be a good way to vote with your wallet.

Maybe someone else can come up with a reason to spend money on Windows as a matter of principle? :)

Choice is yours alone.

the8thstar
November 5th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Choice is yours alone.

Of course it is. But advice is always welcome.

blueturtl
November 5th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I guess I was trying to see if you really had an answer that you just didn't know. :)

If you really don't know which is more important to you, why not set up a poll?

edit: Personally I would go with the web cam and printer. Those will ease your Linux use but will surely also work with any future Windows / Mac OS version so they are in essence safe investments.

JillSwift
November 5th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Hmm. If you really don't know what to do with the cam and printer, it sounds like you'd get more mileage out of spending the coupon and 19€ on Win7.

Though, as a suggestion, you could take pictures of yourself making funny faces, print them out, and post them in random spots around town.

... Ok, so it's not my most brilliant idea ever. =^_^=

hoppipolla
November 5th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I couldn't stand Windows 7 ._.

But that might have just been my crappy hardware! lol :)

thesheff17
November 5th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Either save your money or buy a solid state hard drive for your ubuntu machine and upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop. You won't be disappointed. It is by far the best upgrade I have made in the last 15 years of computer purchases. I can't believe how fast the machine performs on startup and running apps.

Printers are outdated and waste paper. Buy a kindle if you want to have a book like features or read PDF's off your monitor.

How often would you really use the web came? I have at least 2 or 3 of them and I don't use any of them ever but I don't use the computer like every user. I would send you but they are inside laptops.

Like they said before it is your choice.

the8thstar
November 5th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Hmm. If you really don't know what to do with the cam and printer, it sounds like you'd get more mileage out of spending the coupon and 19€ on Win7.

Though, as a suggestion, you could take pictures of yourself making funny faces, print them out, and post them in random spots around town.

... Ok, so it's not my most brilliant idea ever. =^_^=

Have you seen my mug? If I do that, I'll get arrested! ;)

the8thstar
November 5th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Either save your money or buy a solid state hard drive for your ubuntu machine and upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop. You won't be disappointed. It is by far the best upgrade I have made in the last 15 years of computer purchases. I can't believe how fast the machine performs on startup and running apps.

Printers are outdated and waste paper. Buy a kindle if you want to have a book like features or read PDF's off your monitor.

How often would you really use the web came? I have at least 2 or 3 of them and I don't use any of them ever but I don't use the computer like every user. I would send you but they are inside laptops.

Like they said before it is your choice.

Good points altogether worth thinking about. Unfortunately and although 9.10 is a great release, I still can't print or use my webcam... So I need Windows for either task at this point.

juancarlospaco
November 5th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Get Nice Hardware, decent hardware is Unix friendly

koleoptero
November 5th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Get windows 7.

JoshStrobl
November 5th, 2009, 09:07 PM
search for Linux compatible printers and webcams, don't go with Windows 7.
I used Windows 7 Professional and when I switched back to Ubuntu 9.10 I was amazed at how much better Ubuntu is than Windows.
Sure my webcam gave me some troubles and I had to look a bit for a better printer (needed a new one anyways) but in the end its worth every minute of it.

kyuubi777
November 5th, 2009, 09:11 PM
don't buy what you can download :D... just kidding if there are any microcrap people around (like i'd use your products in the first place)

anybody thinking ....RAM upgrade!!! or ext. hdd!!!!

SunnyRabbiera
November 5th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Well anymore you can get windows 7 compliant stuff and it will work with linux a good percent of the time.

executor
November 5th, 2009, 09:42 PM
off topic, sell the coupon for 70-80 euros to some one . and buy beer :)

Lemmy's Wart
November 6th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Get windows 7.

Go with Windows 7. If you use Linux you probably still owe Microsoft money anyway so you might as well get it out of the way.

In fact even if you have no computer hardware at all you should still buy Windows 7. Did I mention that for every valid Windows 7 license registered (chequebooks at the ready) that Bill Gates saves another puppy from that nasty Tux monster. Windows 7 is kitten friendly too.

Communist China has adopted Linux as it's own, remember kids what do the Chinese do to cute and fluffy animals? That's right kiddies, they eat them.

When you use Linux you condemn another innocent adorable creature to be used as a pipe stand or hat rack.

Each and every purchase of Windows 7 will save the world as we know it.

Did I mention Windows 7?gl

superskateman
November 6th, 2009, 12:22 AM
I would go with the webcam and printer. Or something else compatible with ubuntu. I say this because half of the Windows programs cost money, and most of ubuntu programs are free.

And Lemmy, that's just wrong in so many literal and figurative ways.

Zoot7
November 6th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I think it depends on whether you need windows at the moment or whether you'll need it in the future for anything. If you do I'd get Windows, but if you don't I'd set myself up so I can be 100% Ubuntu.

kyuubi777
November 6th, 2009, 12:30 AM
good thing i don't get too emotionally attached to animals then because i am linux for life now...
and i eat cats and dogs myself.. i actually have to fight my computer over who gets the larger shanks...

Lemmy's Wart
November 6th, 2009, 12:55 AM
good thing i don't get too emotionally attached to animals then because i am linux for life now...
and i eat cats and dogs myself.. i actually have to fight my computer over who gets the larger shanks...

Then it is obvious that you need Windows 7 to save yourself from a life of barbarity. With the guidance of God it will probably save your soul.

Just because you feel the need to eat your pets we will not hold this against you...

...NEXT!

superskateman
November 6th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Then it is obvious that you need Windows 7 to save yourself from a life of barbarity. With the guidance of God it will probably save your soul.

Just because you feel the need to eat your pets we will not hold this against you...

...NEXT!
Look, HOW does pets have ANYTHING to do with windows 7? If this is true, why can't bill save puppies and kittens all the time?

the8thstar
November 15th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Ubuntu has won.

I found that my webcam is finally accepted by the kernel in Ubuntu 9.10, and through Skype no less.

I also found a nifty how-to to make my printer work with Ubuntu.

After 2.5 years of Ubuntu, I have removed Windows for good. Congratulations to all who made my wish come true. :D

vexorian
November 15th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Spend the 100 USD in having fun with significant other or family. Use your current system to run ubuntu.

It is unlikely there is absolutely no way your printer would work in ubuntu. So, instead of 100 USD , just take 4 hours of an afternoon to fix it. Webcam? Resell your webcam and buy a compatible one. No problem...

Edit: Just read your last post. Cheers.