PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I switch back to Jaunty?

jfinner1
November 5th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Karmic hates me. Period. Jaunty and I got along just fine, no major glitches. Since I've never had a problem with updates in the past, I did the update to Karmic without a second thought. Now, my computer basically can't do anything right. Compiz freezes, Banshee freezes, Firefox freezes, VLC freezes, my wireless mouse is jumpy, my sound is crap, and sometimes non-existant, and I've had the whole computer freeze to the point of needing a hard re-boot 6 times. This hasn't happened ever since I switched to Ubuntu. So I want to go back to Jaunty. Anyone want to tell me how to do that?

Simian Man
November 5th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Unfortunately you will probably just have to back up and do a fresh reinstall of Jaunty. You can't really downgrade automatically the way you can upgrade.

jfinner1
November 5th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Hrm. That stinks, but it's doable. Should I transfer all me files to another computer, or will I have to option to save my files during the re-install? I know I had that option when I originally switched from XP...

Assim
November 5th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I guess you should save them in another computer (or USB stick, CDs, or whatever) since I know that when installing, it has to format the hard disk or at least partition it (depending on your choice).

mitso
November 5th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I agree with Simian Man - reinstall 9.04.
9.10 screwed up Firefox. It took up to five minutes to open a site.
sometimes it didn't at all.

I just finished re-installing 9.04 - it took just 40 minutes including all
the updates. I'm happy again !

Bite the bullet and do it !