PDA

View Full Version : Outrage over wall blocking free U2 Berlin Wall anniversary concert

Sporkman
November 5th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Outrage over wall blocking free U2 Berlin concert

By Associated Press Writer Kirsten Grieshaber

BERLIN – Fans hoping to glimpse U2's free concert celebrating 20 years since the Berlin Wall fell were outraged Thursday to find that a 12-foot (3.6-meter) metal barrier was installed to block the view for those without tickets.

Both Berliners and tourists alike saw the irony in building a wall around a concert dedicated to the wall that has already come down...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091105/ap_en_ce/eu_germany_mtv_europe_awards_u2

Xbehave
November 5th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Safety? Having been at large concerts I'd guess this was probably done to stop people at the front being crushed, stupid that they didn't just use manned barriers though.

tacantara
November 5th, 2009, 07:53 PM
A wall to prevent people, without tickets to attend a free show, from seeing the free show. As Larry the Cable Guy would say, "that's like wiping before you poop, it don't make sense."

Mister concert promoter, tear down this wall! (Sorry, had to go eighties on that).

Perhaps I'm missing the concept of what a free concert is?

Tristam Green
November 5th, 2009, 07:56 PM
it's like Xbehave said; it's a safety issue to keep people from being trampled. Geez, take a more pessimistic tone about things, why don't you all.

RiceMonster
November 5th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Big deal. They didn't pay and they can't see it for free? I don't understand what the complaint is.

Exodist
November 5th, 2009, 08:01 PM
it's like Xbehave said; it's a safety issue to keep people from being trampled. Geez, take a more pessimistic tone about things, why don't you all.
Saftey yea. I understand that. The issue was ITS ANOTHER WALL..

It would we like going to a party to celebrate black and ethnic freedom here in the US and then being given white sheets to throw over your head to keep you dry from the rain.

You'd have to understand where they are coming from.

Tristam Green
November 5th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I, for one, am mortified that this isn't being rectified by the concert being streamed live in HD over television, the web, and over the radio waves as well, for free.

Tristam Green
November 5th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Saftey yea. I understand that. The issue was ITS ANOTHER WALL..

It would we like going to a party to celebrate black and ethnic freedom here in the US and then being given white sheets to throw over your head to keep you dry from the rain.

You'd have to understand where they are coming from.

OH MY GOD, there's a big freaking difference between situational irony and bad taste, Exodist, and you know it.

They've got a retainer wall up at a free concert in Berlin. They're not holding a Holocaust survivor's reunion at Buchenwald, for crying out loud.

pwnst*r
November 5th, 2009, 08:07 PM

12ft?

Tristam Green
November 5th, 2009, 08:09 PM
12ft?

Germans are a historically tall people.

Exodist
November 5th, 2009, 08:11 PM
OH MY GOD, there's a big freaking difference between situational irony and bad taste, Exodist, and you know it.

They've got a retainer wall up at a free concert in Berlin. They're not holding a Holocaust survivor's reunion at Buchenwald, for crying out loud.

I understand. But they might not see it that way. You have to keep an open mind and be sympathetic to others and what they have been through.

A FENCE around a concert celebrating taking down the WALL is bad taste bro.

pwnst*r
November 5th, 2009, 08:12 PM

troof

Tristam Green
November 5th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I understand. But they might not see it that way. You have to keep an open mind and be sympathetic to others and what they have been through.

Til they line the wall with concertina wire and snipers, I'll maintain my stance that there is much overreaction here.

Sporkman
November 5th, 2009, 08:19 PM

The dutch are taller.

Tristam Green
November 5th, 2009, 08:20 PM
The dutch are taller.

Too true. I have both in my ancestry, and as a result of good fortune, I can see over most crowds.

Exodist
November 5th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Til they line the wall with concertina wire and snipers, I'll maintain my stance that there is much overreaction here.

The Snipers are part of the concert performers :-s

I really dont think the people setting up the concert thought this one through. :-)

Xbehave
November 5th, 2009, 08:24 PM

Better taste than people getting crushed to death at a barrier to while celebrating the removal of a barrier that lots of people died at.

Tristam Green
November 5th, 2009, 08:25 PM
The Snipers are part of the concert performers :-s

I really dont think the people setting up the concert thought this one through. :-)

lol, mental image of The Edge using a guitar that doubles as a rifle...funny stuff.

Think those are shades Bono's wearing? He's The Edge's spotter and those are infrared/nightvision/HUD-enabled goggles that give detailed readouts about windage, yardage to target, ambient temperatures, air pressure and wind speed/direction.

koleoptero
November 5th, 2009, 08:59 PM
This answer wins the thread for me. Truly amazing. :lolflag:

kyuubi777
November 5th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Mister concert promoter, tear down this wall! (Sorry, had to go eighties on that).

c'mon, this is ubuntu forums... let ur nerd-ness fly a little... (it should have been - "hault this firewall") :D

and why didn't the people just use a proxy to get around it?..

pwnst*r
November 5th, 2009, 09:18 PM
c'mon, this is ubuntu forums... let ur nerd-ness fly a little... (it should have been - "hault this firewall") :D

and why didn't the people just use a proxy to get around it?..

nerdy-ness doesn't have to be unfunny.

Tristam Green
November 5th, 2009, 09:42 PM
because it's not a firewall?

Tristam Green
November 5th, 2009, 10:15 PM
btw, I read a report that says the wall is only 6 feet tall.

I could see over that :|

koshatnik
November 5th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I'm shocked and outraged that U2 are still playing gigs. Who the hell keeps buying tickets?