PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] inkjet printers with fully-fledged Linux drivers?

Puffin-ww
November 5th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Hi there

Are there any current inkjet printers THAT COME with fully-fledged Linux drivers?
(so that the functionality is as comprehensive as for Windows)

Thank you

Puffin-ww

Manyette
November 5th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Hi, I have a friend who is a *nix guru who assures me that the Konica-Minolta lasers fit that description, but they are a bit pricey. I have a HP J6480 which installed nicely on karmic using the built-in drivers. Don't know if that helps or not. Regards - Don

SirBismuth
November 5th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I got the PPD (from linuxprinting.org) for a Ricoh MP2000 Multifunction machine, can use the same features as in Windows.

But from what I've seen and heard, HP seem to work the best in Linux.

B

Numer0bis
November 5th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Hi, I have a friend who is a *nix guru who assures me that the Konica-Minolta lasers fit that description, but they are a bit pricey. I have a HP J6480 which installed nicely on karmic using the built-in drivers. Don't know if that helps or not. Regards - Don

We have a Konica Minolta laser printer (b/w) as well, can't remember the exact model but it works flawlessly under ubuntu, just as it does under windows

Greetz

Numer0bis

coffeecat
November 5th, 2009, 09:55 PM
There is not a single manufacturer for whom you can say that all their printers are supported in Linux - not even Hewlett-Packard. So, if you have your eye on a particular printer, look it up in the Open Printing Database (http://www.openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi). If it's not listed, it hasn't been tested. If it is listed, it will come under four self-explanatory categories: (works) perfectly, mostly, partially, paperweight. If it was my money I would make sure my printer came under the perfectly category.

That being said, avoid Canon and Lexmark. Some of their printers have Linux drivers. Many do not.

ron1945
November 25th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I made the mistake of getting a Kodak Printer. Now I find that they are tied to Windows or Mac. So much for my reason for looking around.
Last night I decided to look for a printer that could be used in Linux. When I got to the Brother Printers I found a location on their site that is devoted to Linux. I will check further and post my finding here.
Maybe others could check as well. (Maybe find things that I miss.)