PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Cairo-Dock problem in Xubuntu

kestrel1
November 5th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Just started using Xubuntu 9.10 on an older machine. In general I really like Xubuntu, but there is a small problem with Cairo-Dock. If I start Cairo-Dock it works fine, but on restart I get a message about using the openGL version or not. I shutdown the dock & added it to the startup applications with
cairo-dock -c
This works fine for the first restart, but after that I get two docks running & I still get the openGL message.
I do not want to use the openGL version, but cannot find a way to stop this message or opening of the two docks unless I remove one from the startup apps list.
Hope this makes sense. Been using Ubuntu for a long time, but the xfce desktop is a bit different to gnome.

fabounet
November 6th, 2009, 09:58 AM
maybe XFCE records the opening applications when you logout, and restart them when you log in.
hence the double dock.

kestrel1
November 6th, 2009, 02:28 PM
maybe XFCE records the opening applications when you logout, and restart them when you log in.
hence the double dock.
Yes that was my guess, but how can I stop it doing this? It is getting annoying. This morning I started up & I had three docks start up, but I noticed that another was in the start up apps list, so I removed it. I don't know how it got there because I never put it there.
I like the XFCE interface, but need to find out a bit more about it. I am used to gnome, but surely it is not that different.
Thanks for any help.

Mark76
November 6th, 2009, 02:30 PM
You need to disable recall previous session, iirc.

kestrel1
November 6th, 2009, 02:48 PM
You need to disable recall previous session, iirc.
How? I have looked Session & Startup, but cannot see anything about recall previous session.

Mark76
November 6th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I'll tell you later when I switch DEs.

kestrel1
November 6th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I'll tell you later when I switch DEs.
I just looked again in Sessions & Startup & the option is there to automatically save the session at logout, but this is not actually ticked.
I deleted the sessions with
rm -rf ~/.cache/sessions & then restarted. Cairo-Dock didn't start as I thought. So I added Cairo-dock to the start up apps list, logged out & cairo-dock started. Logged out again & Cairo-Dock started twice, once giving me the opengl message. I have now removed it from the startup list & it still starts with the opengl message, although it should not as the Auto save session is not ticked.
This is weird.

UPDATE:
I thought I would have a look in the ~/.cache/sessions folder. I found the sessions file & it has cairo-dock down as a:
Legacy0_Command=cairo-dock
I edited this so that it read:
Legacy0_Command=cairo-dock -c
as I thought this would sort it, but on logging out & back in again I still got the opengl message. I checked the file & it had reverted back to the original without the modification.
I had a look at the bak file of the same name & this has held my modification. I redid it just to make sure that I was not a complete fool & edited the wrong file, but this did exactly the same. So for some reason it is saving the sessions, even though it has been told not to.
Any ideas.
Cheers

kestrel1
November 6th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Anyone with an idea?

Mark76
November 6th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Sorry, that was my idea :o

kestrel1
November 6th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Sorry, that was my idea :o
Cheers, I will have to dig around a bit then & see if I can find out what is going on :-)

wmartyr
November 21st, 2009, 09:17 AM
Hi guys.

I'm using archlinux + xfce but this might work in xubuntu as well.

I went to /home/user/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-archhost:0. Note that "archhost" might be "localhost" on your computer or some other word. I deleted lines:

Legacy0_Screen=0
Legacy0_ClientMachine=archhost
LegacyCount=1

Near the end of the file. Open Menu-Settings-Session and Startup. Uncheck "Automatically save session on logout". Then go to "Application Autostart Tab" and make sure that you have an entry in for Cairo-Dock to start, with -o or -c options. Then when you logout, uncheck the "Save Session for future logins" box.

Worked for me.

kestrel1
November 23rd, 2009, 02:42 PM
Hi guys.

I'm using archlinux + xfce but this might work in xubuntu as well.

I went to /home/user/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-archhost:0. Note that "archhost" might be "localhost" on your computer or some other word. I deleted lines:

Legacy0_Screen=0
Legacy0_ClientMachine=archhost
LegacyCount=1

Near the end of the file. Open Menu-Settings-Session and Startup. Uncheck "Automatically save session on logout". Then go to "Application Autostart Tab" and make sure that you have an entry in for Cairo-Dock to start, with -o or -c options. Then when you logout, uncheck the "Save Session for future logins" box.

Worked for me.

This is essentially what I had been doing, but I now removed the rest of the legacy stuff etc. It should not be saving the session at logout & I set Cairo-dock to start automatically. This works fine for the first start up after doing the changes, but if I logout & back in again I have two cairo-docks running & the legacy entry is back in the sessions file. I also get the message about starting cairo-dock with OpenGL etc.
So it looks like it is saving the session at logout even though it has been told not to.

kestrel1
November 26th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I have now solved this one & I feel a right fool. On the logout/shutdown menu box there is a tick box that says 'Save Session for future logins' This was ticked. therefore the session was being saved. I removed the tick & logged in again, but just had to re-do the sessions file so that the legacy lines had been removed. I enabled Cairo-Dock to start automatically & it is now working correctly.
Such a simple thing that I overlooked. :oops:

aspiredfang
December 14th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I am facing a similar issue to what has been been discussed in this thread. However, I like to save my sessions on logging out. Please forgive me for being a *nix noob and asking outright how to make the following script work, I have had a look around the net and just seem to be missing something very fundamental to its running.

Coming from a background in PHP, I would normally run the 'ps...' command in the selection statement itself but, bash cried about it being improper syntax? Here's what I have in mind and can come up with, help with the actual syntax would be appreciated. As it stands, Cairo-dock will always launch another instance :(

- Make variable $check a list of any running processes matching the literal 'cairo-dock -c'
- perform check on variable to see if it is empty
- If empty run command 'cairo-dock -c'

#Cairo-start.sh
$check = ps aux | grep 'cairo-dock -c';
if [$check = ''] then
cairo-dock -c
fi
Kudos and thanks in advance for any response :)