PDA

View Full Version : Stargate Universe

johnboy1313
November 5th, 2009, 07:30 PM
So I'm not the only person watching this show, what is everyone else's opinion so far? It seems to be significantly more dialogue heavy than previous Stargate series but so far I think its really well written and Dexter is the only show on I get more excited for. =D>

CJ Master
November 5th, 2009, 07:35 PM
It's ok. Decent. I wouldn't watch it if it wasn't stargate, though. I much prefer SG1 and Atlantis.

johnboy1313
November 5th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I agree at this point I prefer both sg1 and atlantis, but i still feel like this season is building for something, almost like the first season is a long miniseries leading to the rest of the show

Zoot7
November 5th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I think it's good enough, albeit I did rather SG-1 and Atlantis. Early days yet though...

cariboo
November 5th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I've got all the episodes so far on my pvr, I just haven't had time to watch them yet.

lethalfang
November 5th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Stargate Universe sucks. I feel like all their episodes thus far are filmed in someone's basement.
I have already had enough "we are running out of resources" plot lines.

Pasdar
November 5th, 2009, 11:07 PM
SG1 and Atlatis already had little sci-fi... this one has even less, I saw all six eps... lots of drama and what not... :-/ but I'll watch it anyway... i think they want to attract more general public.

TheLastDodo
November 5th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I've watched the first few episodes and decided not to bother. Aside from Robert Carlyle, none of the cast can act, and even he's been uneven. On top of that, the plots are boring and predictable, and from what I read on one of the Stargate forums, that's not changing anytime soon. Here's hoping it's one season and done for this show.

kevin11951
November 5th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I've watched the first few episodes and decided not to bother. Aside from Robert Carlyle, none of the cast can act, and even he's been uneven. On top of that, the plots are boring and predictable, and from what I read on one of the Stargate forums, that's not changing anytime soon. Here's hoping it's one season and done for this show.

I admit it is a little slow, but what do you think they will do next if we all cry out about SGU?

madhi19
November 5th, 2009, 11:34 PM
SG1 and Atlatis already had little sci-fi... this one has even less, I saw all six eps... lots of drama and what not... :-/ but I'll watch it anyway... i think they want to attract more general public.

Don't worry the last one that remain is food! lolll
Come on! "Begbie in space" Who can be against that?

alphaniner
November 6th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I think the '12 hours to jump' is a lazy plot device, but otherwise I rather enjoy the show.

lethalfang
November 6th, 2009, 12:56 AM

I also agree that the cast is terrible. Most of the characters are flat out annoying.

seeker5528
November 6th, 2009, 01:14 AM
A big point of SGU is that it's not SG1 or Atlantis. The people that ended up on Destiny are mostly not the people that were supposed to end up there so instead of a hand picked group of military and science personnel on a mission you have a rag tag mob of refugees, many of whom were civilian support staff, just trying to survive.

Personally I like it. It's too early to say whether I will like it as much as the others, but I think it's off to a good start.

Later, Seeker

johnboy1313
November 6th, 2009, 01:37 AM
I also agree that the cast is terrible. Most of the characters are flat out annoying.

i like dr rush and eli so far, the military guys are prettymuch the sterotype though. i was glad to see they killed off shooter mcgavin early in the series though, wouldnt have wanted to see him for too long

lethalfang
November 6th, 2009, 01:43 AM
i like dr rush and eli so far, the military guys are prettymuch the sterotype though. i was glad to see they killed off shooter mcgavin early in the series though, wouldnt have wanted to see him for too long

I like Dr. Rush. He's one of the few characters whose actions in the show do not look totally forced.
Eli and his out-of-place antics really annoy me, so does every military personnel in the show. Mark Young is especially retarded.
Chloe has not served a purpose in the show other than getting naked and taking a shower when "omg the resources are running low and the ship is breaking down again!" I also think the show would be a bit more interesting if they actually have a surviving grieving US Senator. Yeah, they should've killed off Chloe instead.

3rdalbum
November 6th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I'd be very surprised if I watch Stargate Universe. I liked Stargate SG1 until they, you know, stopped actually using the Stargate :-) But I've heard that Universe is an attempt to be more like the reimagined Battlestar Galactica, which put me off completely. I'm still hearing this too.

Mornedhel
November 6th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I miss O'Neill ("with two L's -- there's another Colonel O'Neil with only one L, he has no sense of humor at all").

johnboy1313
November 6th, 2009, 02:37 PM
no one in the military there has a sense of humor, very dry. I think alot of the new shows out this year are trying to cash in on what Battlestar did. When i was watching the premier of V I couldn't help but feel like they were just trying to cash in on how great Battlestar was with a dark sci-fi theme. i don't think many 80's sci fi epics will be able to pull off what Battlestar did

pelle.k
November 6th, 2009, 03:54 PM
SGU killed stargate for me. I've been an avid fan ever since sg-1. stargate atlantis was just as good, if not better that sg-1. The news that atlantis was canceled really sucked - IMHO they could have skipped the last two seasons of sg-1, and put that energy into atlantis continuing two seasons more.

Still, i was glad to hear SGU would take over the franchise. Now i had something to look forward to. Unfortunately, i don't enjoy the new show at all. The adventure is gone, the humor is gone, the sci-fi is gone. It's just another drama show to me. bleh.

Unless they do something drastic, real fast, i'm not going to continue watching SGU.

johnboy1313
November 6th, 2009, 05:33 PM
they will probably bring tilk around, he always seems to help things around

Sunflower1970
November 6th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I've never seen SG1 or Atlantis, but I decided I'd try SGU out. It was a little slow-going at first, but I find I'm enjoying it, now.

I do want to go back and watch SG1, though, to know more. But I've got so much on my library and Netflix list, that that will have to wait a while.

Dexter is the only show on I get more excited for

Yeah. I love Dexter. Almost done with season 3, now. Will have to wait for DVD for season 4, though.

cascade9
November 6th, 2009, 05:52 PM
SGU doesn't sit right with me. Its seems like the producers and writers have tried to get a 'darker, grittier, more adult' stargate show, but IMO its not working.

Darker? Yeah, in palette. 'Lets make everything black' doesnt help with watchability. Besides that, seriously, you want us to believe that destiny was built by the same people who made Atlantis, and lots of other shiny colourful stuff scattered about? Hmm.
Grittier? With that lot of whiners?
Adult? Scott- put it back in your pants.

johnboy1313
November 6th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah. I love Dexter. Almost done with season 3, now. Will have to wait for DVD for season 4, though.

season 3 was a great, it had a lot of weird twists but finished really strong, set up season 4 to be really interesting. Alot of unforseen things happen, i have not been this into a dexter season since the first.

Mornedhel
November 6th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Besides that, seriously, you want us to believe that destiny was built by the same people who made Atlantis, and lots of other shiny colourful stuff scattered about? Hmm.

To be fair, isn't Destiny supposed to be older than most other traces of Ancient civilization in either the Milky Way or the Pegasus galaxy ? Ancient-built tech in the Milky Way is also kinda visually different from stuff in the Pegasus galaxy (see the Stargates, for instance).

Warpnow
November 6th, 2009, 06:33 PM
The show lacks (completely) the styling of original stargate. Stargate was neither an action nor a drama show, really. It was more of an exploration show. They explored different cultures, and how they had progressed over time. However, half-way through SG-1 it became almost entirely action, and near the end it had become pure SciFi (no more stargate, really, just ships, and no people or cultures), until Atlantis picked up there, and carried the show from action to drama, with characters who had relationships and things going on in their life realtime (Teyla's pregnancy, Ronin's homeworld, McKay's sister and engagement).

SGU is the naturla progression of the trend, picking up where Atlantis left off, emotionally, and thematically. SGU is almost entirely relationships and emotions. The plot movement is miniscule each episode.

Its not a bad show, its just not what fans of the original SG-1 want. A different show for different fans.

CJ Master
November 6th, 2009, 07:13 PM
SGU is the naturla progression of the trend, picking up where Atlantis left off, emotionally, and thematically. SGU is almost entirely relationships and emotions. The plot movement is miniscule each episode.

See, the thing I have a hard time accepting is that anybody wants to see people crying and acting overly-dramatic, rather then have a good plot and action. Atlantis did it right, with character changes and development while still going out and exploring.

Warpnow
November 6th, 2009, 07:19 PM
See, the thing I have a hard time accepting is that anybody wants to see people crying and acting overly-dramatic, rather then have a good plot and action. Atlantis did it right, with character changes and development while still going out and exploring.

People may not enjoy it as much but they're more likely to watch it so see what happens. This means more viewers, and a more successful show. SG-1 had a smaller fanbase that -loved- the show. I suspect SGU will have a large and more indifferent fanbase.

More views, more money for advertisements.

johnboy1313
November 6th, 2009, 07:28 PM
SGU has that built in fanbase, Including my self in that group, i know i will watch the show even if it doesnt pick up simply becasue I like stargates, i like sci fi, and I will always be holding onto the idea that the show will keep getting better.

tjwoosta
November 6th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I used to love SG1. Atlantis was pretty good, but not quite as good. SGU is something entirely different. Its more resemblant of Battlestar Galactica then Stargate, and I never liked battlestar. Its slow paced and full of lots of drama and little action. Some people say its more adult, but thats just a lame excuse for all the drama.

That said I still watch SGU, if you ask me it was a step in the wrong direction but its still very watchable and still much better then battlestar.

Exodist
November 6th, 2009, 07:33 PM
So I'm not the only person watching this show, what is everyone else's opinion so far? It seems to be significantly more dialogue heavy than previous Stargate series but so far I think its really well written and Dexter is the only show on I get more excited for. =D>

I really enjoy SGU. It to me seems more well written and it keeps you hanging each episode much like NBCs Heroes. To me it feels in a way more realistic. I am still a hige SG1 fan, but SG1 sometimes has a "corny" feel in some episodes and if you missed a episode you prob didnt miss much. SGU like mentioned feels more like a long mini-series that you cant miss.

I give it a 9.9 out of 10.0
Only reason it doesnt get a full 10 is only becuase Syfy didnt send me the full season box set so I cant watch them all 1 after the other!.. lol

Exodist
November 6th, 2009, 07:38 PM

I never enjoyed Atlantis. I tried to watch it being a big SG1 fan, but it lacked something I could never put my finger on. I think I watched the first 10 episodes, then just forgot about it.

Over all I feel what SG1 and Atlantis lacked in the end was more realism. SGU I feel provides this.

CJ Master
November 6th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I never enjoyed Atlantis. I tried to watch it being a big SG1 fan, but it lacked something I could never put my finger on. I think I watched the first 10 episodes, then just forgot about it.

Over all I feel what SG1 and Atlantis lacked in the end was more realism. SGU I feel provides this.

Realism? Stargate?

Ahahaha. Good one! :P

Warpnow
November 6th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Realism? Stargate?

Ahahaha. Good one! :P

The first few seasons of Sg-1 were noted for their realism. Of course, you have to assume its possible that a gigantic ring transport you from one planet to another, but once you've made that initial assumption, the show is quite realistic.

The air force brought on advisers for SG-1 so it would be realistic from a militaristic sense, and though I've never been in the military, some people I know who have say its rather accurate.

The decision making, the characters, they're all pretty realistic, at least for the first 2-3 seasons.

Foster Grant
November 6th, 2009, 09:36 PM

It's trying to cross SG-1 with the Battlestar Galactica feel, almost to the point of calling SG:U a ripoff.

So far, every time I've tried to watch it I've come away unimpressed, bored and wanting to dig out the BSG DVDs.

johnboy1313
November 6th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I agree that i think alot of what the show is doing is very much so influenced by BSG, I have come away with that feeling on every new sci fi show this season thus far (V was very guilty of that)

johnboy1313
November 6th, 2009, 11:40 PM
*at work watching atlantis*

seeker5528
November 7th, 2009, 12:29 AM
To be fair, isn't Destiny supposed to be older than most other traces of Ancient civilization in either the Milky Way or the Pegasus galaxy ? Ancient-built tech in the Milky Way is also kinda visually different from stuff in the Pegasus galaxy (see the Stargates, for instance).

The look of the stuff did throw me a little bit at first, but the ship was designed for an un-manned deep space mission and had to be capable of using a stars gravity for breaking maneuvers and dipping into a sun to re-fuel.

As for the age, I don't know if we really have any indicators, other than the fact that the origin point necessary to make the gate address work is the symbol for earth. The Ancients migrated from the Ori galaxy to the Pegasus galaxy, possibly using the same type of ships to seed the way.

I guess if they were mothballed in between the migration from the Ori galaxy and the migration to the Milky Way, Destiny and the ship sent out ahead of it could be that old, otherwise I would guess that Destiny is newer than most if not all the stuff found in the Pegasus galaxy, but the design could have been around for a long time before.

Later, Seeker

lethalfang
November 7th, 2009, 01:12 AM
The first few seasons of Sg-1 were noted for their realism. Of course, you have to assume its possible that a gigantic ring transport you from one planet to another, but once you've made that initial assumption, the show is quite realistic.

The air force brought on advisers for SG-1 so it would be realistic from a militaristic sense, and though I've never been in the military, some people I know who have say its rather accurate.

The decision making, the characters, they're all pretty realistic, at least for the first 2-3 seasons.

Realism? Really? How realistic is it that a retired colonel, a female air force scientist, an archaeologist with glasses, and an alien with a lizard in his stomach will defeat a technological and numerically superior alien armada each every week?

lethalfang
November 7th, 2009, 01:14 AM
SGU doesn't sit right with me. Its seems like the producers and writers have tried to get a 'darker, grittier, more adult' stargate show, but IMO its not working.

Darker? Yeah, in palette. 'Lets make everything black' doesnt help with watchability. Besides that, seriously, you want us to believe that destiny was built by the same people who made Atlantis, and lots of other shiny colourful stuff scattered about? Hmm.
Grittier? With that lot of whiners?
Adult? Scott- put it back in your pants.

You hit it on the spot.
All the characters annoy me, because every single one of them is a friggin' whiner. Just shut up already!

tjwoosta
November 7th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Realism? Really? How realistic is it that a retired colonel, a female air force scientist, an archaeologist with glasses, and an alien with a lizard in his stomach will defeat a technological and numerically superior alien armada each every week?

Obviously its science fiction tv series, nobody's claiming its a reality show or anything. I think the point was the protocols and procedures demonstrated in the show are accurately portrayed. If there were a stargate and we had contact with alien civilizations descended from ancient earth, it would be something like the show.

All the characters annoy me, because every single one of them is a friggin' whiner. Just shut up already!

I agree with your discontent, but really its mostly just geeky scientists that do all the whining. Thats probably fairly accurately portrayed.

Warpnow
November 7th, 2009, 02:23 AM

That didn't really start happening until several seasons in. The first few seasons just consisted of exploration of new worlds. They didn't even have a ship to defeat an armada until late in the show.

3rdalbum
November 7th, 2009, 11:56 AM

An elderly nightwatchman could have defeated the Goa'uld armada every week. When you think about it, the Goa'uld were some pretty dumb enemies. Didn't they ever think of building their own radio to intercept human transmissions and listen to what SG1 was doing? They also had a knack of capturing SG1 and then not killing them, even though they'd escaped time and time before.

The Goa'uld never even thought of making rapid-fire weapons.

So no, Stargate SG1 was realistic: When you come up against a moronic alien race, you're bound to win as long as you have a few more brain cells.

I don't know about you, but I watch(ed) science fiction to see things happen, to get interesting new ideas about life and the universe, and to imagine what things might be like some day. I hate this new science-fiction where it's a drama series set on a spaceship. It doesn't excite me, it doesn't entertain me, it doesn't stretch any boundaries of what can and can't be.

Mornedhel
November 7th, 2009, 01:07 PM
An elderly nightwatchman could have defeated the Goa'uld armada every week. When you think about it, the Goa'uld were some pretty dumb enemies. Didn't they ever think of building their own radio to intercept human transmissions and listen to what SG1 was doing? They also had a knack of capturing SG1 and then not killing them, even though they'd escaped time and time before.

So no, Stargate SG1 was realistic: When you come up against a moronic alien race, you're bound to win as long as you have a few more brain cells.

Plus the fact that the Jaffa were clearly trained at the Imperial Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Ms_Angel_D
November 7th, 2009, 03:26 PM
they will probably bring tilk around, he always seems to help things around

Um I think you mean Tealc

Plus the fact that the Jaffa were clearly trained at the Imperial Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Roflmao, I love SG1 but that is soooo true..:lolflag:

Warpnow
November 7th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Roflmao, I love SG1 but that is soooo true..:lolflag:

They cover this in the Sg-1 episode where they offer weapons to the Jaffah resistance. The staff weapon is a very inaccurate weapon. Its intent is to intimidate people into worshiping, not to actually kill.

tjwoosta
November 7th, 2009, 06:15 PM

I don't know about you, but I watch(ed) science fiction to see things happen, to get interesting new ideas about life and the universe, and to imagine what things might be like some day. I hate this new science-fiction where it's a drama series set on a spaceship. It doesn't excite me, it doesn't entertain me, it doesn't stretch any boundaries of what can and can't be.

This is true. The goa'uld steel their technology. Most if it is just slightly modified ancient technology.

I also share your discontent with this new syfy drama crap. It seems ever since the name change from scifi to syfy everything has gone way downhill and things are not looking up anytime soon. I too used to love watching scifi for its mind expanding awesomeness, and now it seems every new show that comes out is just an ordinary drama in a scifi environment. A remake of battlestar galactica except with different storylines. Not cool, I despise battlestar and always have. It seems scifi is attempting to move away from geekdom and sell themselves to a more casual audience, at the same time they are alienating their massive fanbase. I predict it wont be too long before syfy begins to fail. And what the f*** is up with ECW being on scifi, seriously? I also heard rumors of cooking shows coming to syfy, seriously wtf.

EDIT: Also after watching last nights SGU episode I think I have changed my mind about following this series. Before I was thinking "yea its not too bad, maybe it will get better as the season progresses", wrong. Last nights episode was nothing but pure drama, no action whatsoever for a full 60 minutes. This confirms my fears and doubts about this show. Thank you syfy you successfully ruined stargate.

MechaMechanism
November 7th, 2009, 07:11 PM
It will be cancelled quickly. Why? It's got Lou Diamond Phillips! When has any TV series he has worked in succeeded. Plus too many bimbos.

Warpnow
November 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM
It will be cancelled quickly. Why? It's got Lou Diamond Phillips! When has any TV series he has worked in succeeded. Plus too many bimbos.

I give it four seasons, actually.

tjwoosta
November 7th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I predict two, maybe three if their lucky.

SG1 has 10 seasons, Atlantis has 5.

Warpnow
November 7th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I predict two, maybe three if their lucky.

SG1 has 10 seasons, Atlantis has 5.

Infinity only had one, and most people have already forgotten about it.

To be fair, it was horrendously terrible.

CJ Master
November 7th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Um I think you mean Tealc

Um, I think you mean Teal'c. ;)

I give it three seasons, tops. Five if they drastically change the series to be more then drama drama drama and have some action.

Ms_Angel_D
November 8th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Um, I think you mean Teal'c. ;)

I give it three seasons, tops. Five if they drastically change the series to be more then drama drama drama and have some action.

lol touche

lethalfang
November 8th, 2009, 09:49 AM
This is true. The goa'uld steel their technology. Most if it is just slightly modified ancient technology.

I also share your discontent with this new syfy drama crap. It seems ever since the name change from scifi to syfy everything has gone way downhill and things are not looking up anytime soon. I too used to love watching scifi for its mind expanding awesomeness, and now it seems every new show that comes out is just an ordinary drama in a scifi environment. A remake of battlestar galactica except with different storylines. Not cool, I despise battlestar and always have. It seems scifi is attempting to move away from geekdom and sell themselves to a more casual audience, at the same time they are alienating their massive fanbase. I predict it wont be too long before syfy begins to fail. And what the f*** is up with ECW being on scifi, seriously? I also heard rumors of cooking shows coming to syfy, seriously wtf.

EDIT: Also after watching last nights SGU episode I think I have changed my mind about following this series. Before I was thinking "yea its not too bad, maybe it will get better as the season progresses", wrong. Last nights episode was nothing but pure drama, no action whatsoever for a full 60 minutes. This confirms my fears and doubts about this show. Thank you syfy you successfully ruined stargate.

I love a great drama in a sci-fi setting, like Battlestar Galactica.
But SGU's only drama is a bunch of whiners crying "OMG the ship is breaking down and we're running out of resources every single week," plus their sci-fi idea lacks imagination.

johnboy1313
November 8th, 2009, 03:54 PM
if I was running out of air, water and rationed snot i would probly be whiney too. it does get a little tiresome though

tjwoosta
November 8th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I love a great drama in a sci-fi setting, like Battlestar Galactica.
But SGU's only drama is a bunch of whiners crying "OMG the ship is breaking down and we're running out of resources every single week," plus their sci-fi idea lacks imagination.

Did you see fridays episode? Pretty much the entire episode is people using the communication stones to talk to family members back home. "O boo hoo I miss my son, whens he coming home", or "I miss you so much baby, I just want to come home, I never meant to hurt you, blah blah blah blah blah". Lame **** really. They also set aside about 5 minutes at the end of the hour long episode for dipping into another sun to try and dial home while inside the sun. It kinda reminds me of those lame soap operas my mom used to watch all the time when I was young that she made me put up with.

etnlIcarus
November 8th, 2009, 11:54 PM
This thread depresses me. SGU manages to get around the monotonous, mediocre melodrama of Atlantis and the latter series of SG1 and all people can say is 'it needs more action'.

I couldn't have had lower hopes for this series and excusing it's rushed 2-hour pilot, I've been pleasantly surprised. The slow reveal and less ostentatious ambitions of it's writers, have given the programme a freshness not seen since, perhaps, the original film. The character drama leaves a little to be desired and I hope they don't continue to borrow from the Lost playbook but otherwise, this is one of the only programmes on television that I hold out much hope for.

tjwoosta
November 9th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Its not just that theres not enough action. Its that theres too much drama. Where it used to be problem solving and shootouts is now crying and hugging. They must really be trying to hook that female audience.

etnlIcarus
November 9th, 2009, 02:33 AM
I ...don't know what else to say. Grow up, perhaps? Avoid actual dramas like the plague, if this is how you respond to BSG-style, tacked-on microdramas?

MasterNetra
November 9th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I ...don't know what else to say. Grow up, perhaps? Avoid actual dramas like the plague, if this is how you respond to BSG-style, tacked-on microdramas?

Didn't know the plague was a drama...here I've been believing it was a disease. :p

Anywho I kinda like what they are doing with being trapped on a ancient ship and all, and it does make sense they would have issues with air,water,power etc. However, I think the plots could be more creative then they are, but I'm not a writer so whatever and I still enjoy it ^.^, Loved the recreation of BSG too! I guess I'm more for Scifi-Drama shows then I realized. ^.^

CJ Master
November 9th, 2009, 02:46 AM

Ah.. I see. Everybody that's "grown up" must love this show then, right? Of course. I see the logic in it.

etnlIcarus
November 9th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Ah.. I see. Everybody that's "grown up" must love this show then, right? Of course. I see the logic in it.
Terrible. That wasn't even close to what I said, let alone in implication.

tjwoosta
November 9th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Im 23, if Im not grow up now I guess I never will be. What exactly is it about being an adult that would make me want to watch a bunch of sobby crying and hugging for 60 minutes? I deal with enough drama from my girlfriend I don't want to go home and put myself through more of it.

Also I do avoid BSG and most other dramas like the plague, but stargate was always my favorite scifi shows until they ruined it. I was really looking forward to SGU too. Now what do I have, re-runs of sg1 perhaps?

etnlIcarus
November 9th, 2009, 03:25 AM
What exactly is it about being an adult that would make me want to watch a bunch of sobby crying and hugging for 60 minutes?What exactly is mature about the 'must be for the womens' attitude?

MasterNetra
November 9th, 2009, 03:28 AM
What exactly is mature about the 'must be for the womens' attitude?

Don't bother with him, if you like it then that is all that matters not what someone else thinks about it. ^.^

etnlIcarus
November 9th, 2009, 03:35 AM
I'm not bothered. I'm just clarifying my point, in the face of continued obfuscation.

Although part of that may be my fault; you pointed out one equivocation on my part.

tjwoosta
November 9th, 2009, 03:44 AM

Is crying and hugging a manly thing? I'm not sexist or anything but drama sure seems like a feminine aspect to me. Are you telling me that females aren't more into drama then males? I call that ******** on that. Ever heard the expression drama queen?

I said they introduce more drama to attract a larger female audience. Does that make it for woman, no but Ill bet it does bring alot more of them in then shootouts do. At the same time it tears apart the long time fanbase of geeky males who just want to see some action. Im not saying its going to be a complete failure, but Ill bet it never surpasses sg1 or atlantis.

Islington
November 9th, 2009, 03:48 AM
This thread depresses me. SGU manages to get around the monotonous, mediocre melodrama of Atlantis and the latter series of SG1 and all people can say is 'it needs more action'.

I couldn't have had lower hopes for this series and excusing it's rushed 2-hour pilot, I've been pleasantly surprised. The slow reveal and less ostentatious ambitions of it's writers, have given the programme a freshness not seen since, perhaps, the original film. The character drama leaves a little to be desired and I hope they don't continue to borrow from the Lost playbook but otherwise, this is one of the only programmes on television that I hold out much hope for.

I agree with you. Although, I am bit miffed that all the characterization is slow to develop, as in we still know nothing about Rush, Soldier dude, Angry soldier dude, medic, soldier chick.

Ms_Angel_D
November 9th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Is crying and hugging a manly thing? I'm not sexist or anything but drama sure seems like a feminine aspect to me. Are you telling me that females aren't more into drama then males? I call that ******** on that. Ever heard the expression drama queen?

I said they introduce more drama to attract a larger female audience. Does that make it for woman, no but Ill bet it does bring alot more of them in then shootouts do. At the same time it tears apart the long time fanbase of geeky males who just want to see some action. Im not saying its going to be a complete failure, but Ill bet it never surpasses sg1 or atlantis.
As a woman I found your comment quite closed minded and derogatory. I'm a woman and I watched SG1 from season 1 through to season 10 as well as watching the new movies. I also watched Every season of SG Atlantis. I dare say I'm not the only female fan out there, ever been to an SG1 convention, it's not like there aren't ton's of woman at those things!

The whole reason the writers added more drama to the show is because drama as a whole has a bigger audience than sci-fi, not to just to attract woman.

etnlIcarus
November 9th, 2009, 06:17 AM
There's... really not much else to say. I love it when my opponents practically make my arguments for me.

:popcorn: Was looking for a cigar-smoking emotion but that'll do.

Warpnow
November 9th, 2009, 06:19 AM
You guys remind me of my cats. I go to the bathroom just once, and I come back, and they've ruined my favorite thread/food. You just can't let them get out of hand.

Wasn't this thread about Stargate Universe. Where did that go?

Its not immature to dislike drama shows. I knew a few professors I've had who disliked drama on television because they disliked the necessary fakeness of overracting. They believed drama was best left to the page. I happen to agree. TV is a medium that is by design actual time in its flow. You can't pause to be poetic, you can only force actors to say things they wouldn't say to express what they feel, and to use exaggerated facial expressions they likely wouldn't use, because of the limitations of the art form.

I watch television for excitement and, yes, problem solving. I watch it for effects, and for situational humor, which I believe works best in actual time scenarios, as opposed to satire and content humor which works better in print. I watch it because the flow of time allows the plot to carry me away, to let me feel as if I'm one of the characters. This can happen in any genre but it happens best in SciFi in my opinion, because it plays to my child-like sense of imagination.

Stargate Universe does have an element of this, but the characters are not as relatable. For one, its damn hard to find a character I like, they all have glaring flaws. Who am I supposed to like? Obviously, Elli is the most likable, but nothing good ever happens to him despite his brilliance and warm heart. Dr. Rush is basically a nemesis.

Sg-1 had characters I absolutely loved. Daniel was freaking awesome, Teal's was a badass, O'Neill was a freaking god (not literally, that was Daniel again), and Carter was a hot, smart, badass air force pilot who also happened to be the world's top physicist.

SGU seems to me to basically be a character driven show...with characters that are severely lacking. I know its supposed to be "normal" people, but...if I wanted to watch normal people, I'd sit on a bench. If I wanted to see normal people freak out about things, I'd go back to high school.

etnlIcarus
November 9th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Its not immature to dislike drama shows.You know, I was just thinking this thread could use another strawman.

the necessary fakeness of overracting
You can't pause to be poetic, you can only force actors to say things they wouldn't say to express what they feel, and to use exaggerated facial expressions they likely wouldn't use, because of the limitations of the art form.None of this is necessarily true. I'm also quite bewildered by this, "real time", you keep mentioning. Pacing is hardly unique to the screen and stage, yet I haven't got the foggiest what else you may be referring to.

Dr. Rush is basically a nemesisThat's simply not true.

I know its supposed to be "normal" people, but...if I wanted to watch normal people, I'd sit on a bench. If I wanted to see normal people freak out about things, I'd go back to high school.I am actually quite curious to see, "normal people", handle extraordinary circumstances. Short of putting myself in a volatile, life-threatening situation ...well, I guess that describes some high schools.

tjwoosta
November 9th, 2009, 08:00 AM
As a woman I found your comment quite closed minded and derogatory. I'm a woman and I watched SG1 from season 1 through to season 10 as well as watching the new movies. I also watched Every season of SG Atlantis. I dare say I'm not the only female fan out there, ever been to an SG1 convention, it's not like there aren't ton's of woman at those things!

The whole reason the writers added more drama to the show is because drama as a whole has a bigger audience than sci-fi, not to just to attract woman.

What part do you find derogatory? I never said all woman prefer drama to shootouts, only the majority. Can you honestly say that you sit down with your girlfriends and watch SG1? If you do then Id really like to meet some of your friends.:) Seriously I was just saying drama is more of a feminine thing and more likely to attract a female audience then shootouts and violence. I like how everyone here likes to take what people say and try to twist it around to boost their own argument. Syfy even admits themselves that their trying to draw a more diverse and female audience.

"The name Sci Fi has been associated with geeks and dysfunctional, antisocial boys in their basements with video games and stuff like that, as opposed to the general public and the female audience in particular," Tim Brooks, who helped launch Sci Fi Channel, told TVWeek. "It's somewhat cooler and better than the name 'Science Fiction.' But even the name Sci Fi is limiting."

source http://www.cinematical.com/2009/03/17/scifi-channel-changes-to-syfy-insults-entire-audience-in-th/

etnlIcarus
November 9th, 2009, 08:12 AM
I like how everyone here likes to take what people say and try to twist it around to boost their own argument.I hate that about these forums. Sadly, you're still doing it.

tjwoosta
November 9th, 2009, 08:14 AM
how so?

etnlIcarus
November 9th, 2009, 08:17 AM
You're engaged in an awkward transitional revisionism of your own posts.

tjwoosta
November 9th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Maybe you should re-read the thread?

They must really be trying to hook that female audience.

I said they introduce more drama to attract a larger female audience. Does that make it for woman, no but Ill bet it does bring alot more of them in then shootouts do. At the same time it tears apart the long time fanbase of geeky males who just want to see some action.

Seriously I was just saying drama is more of a feminine thing and more likely to attract a female audience then shootouts and violence. I like how everyone here likes to take what people say and try to twist it around to boost their own argument.

I hate that about these forums. Sadly, you're still doing it.

how so?

You're engaged in an awkward transitional revisionism of your own posts.

Really? Im revising my posts?

etnlIcarus
November 9th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Maybe you should quote your whole posts, re: my point. Honestly, the audacity.

KiwiNZ
November 9th, 2009, 08:47 AM
closed for review