PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jaunty upgrade -> karmic causing new issues, help!

JUNiA
November 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Ok, so I had Jaunty 9.04 on my Gateway Laptop running great for the last half year. Yesterday I received the dialogue window to upgrade to Karmic and I did, and since I have I am having issues I can't seem to find information on this site on how to fix. So anyone's help would be sincerely appreciated. Ok here are the issues;

-Under Startup Applications Preferences, I have the option selected to automatically remember running applications when logging out. Since this upgrade, when I reboot, this is not 'remembered' now even though when I check the option and its STILL checked.

-Firefox does not remember what windows I had open the last time it was open even though under firefox preferences I have it set to remember which tabs I had open last time firefox was open.

-The volume control has disappeared and I can not for the life of figure out how to get the icon back to show on the panel.

-The network icon on the panel now has disappeared and even though I try the add to panel network icon, there is no option to do so

- And this is the really messed up thing to me for my noob knowledge of Ubuntu / Linux in general, when I try to edit my network connections via system/preferences/network connections, I now have insufficient privileges. wtf?

-And i have two icons on my bottom panel that show my CPU Frequency Monitor Preferences where I can change what speed the puter runs at if I'm on battery power or AC and now I can't change these settings either when before the upgrade I could.

-Finally, this all happens with the account I created under the name WS. If I log in as root with this new upgrade, I have the network icon and volume icon visible on the panel and functional. I obviously do not have privileges issues under root and I have NONE of these issues from the upgrade when I log in as root. These issues only occur when I log in with my personal account. Even with my personal account I have internet connectivity but these other issues have left me stumped.

I do not want to start all over to set up another account with all my preferences and settings and setup I have taken a long time to get right for myself. If everything seems fine when I log in as root after this upgrade, what happened to my normal account that I use? Linux I now is powerful, can this not be fixed w/o having to reinstall?

So if anyone could help me figure this out so I can get back to saving the world that would be great. That is a joke you know.

JUNiA
November 9th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Ok, so I had Jaunty 9.04 on my Gateway Laptop running great for the last half year. Yesterday I received the dialogue window to upgrade to Karmic and I did, and since I have I am having issues I can't seem to find information on this site on how to fix. So anyone's help would be sincerely appreciated. Ok here are the issues;

-Under Startup Applications Preferences, I have the option selected to automatically remember running applications when logging out. Since this upgrade, when I reboot, this is not 'remembered' now even though when I check the option and its STILL checked.

-Firefox does not remember what windows I had open the last time it was open even though under firefox preferences I have it set to remember which tabs I had open last time firefox was open.

-The volume control has disappeared and I can not for the life of figure out how to get the icon back to show on the panel.

-The network icon on the panel now has disappeared and even though I try the add to panel network icon, there is no option to do so

- And this is the really messed up thing to me for my noob knowledge of Ubuntu / Linux in general, when I try to edit my network connections via system/preferences/network connections, I now have insufficient privileges. wtf?

-And i have two icons on my bottom panel that show my CPU Frequency Monitor Preferences where I can change what speed the puter runs at if I'm on battery power or AC and now I can't change these settings either when before the upgrade I could.

-Finally, this all happens with the account I created under the name WS. If I log in as root with this new upgrade, I have the network icon and volume icon visible on the panel and functional. I obviously do not have privileges issues under root and I have NONE of these issues from the upgrade when I log in as root. These issues only occur when I log in with my personal account. Even with my personal account I have internet connectivity but these other issues have left me stumped.

I do not want to start all over to set up another account with all my preferences and settings and setup I have taken a long time to get right for myself. If everything seems fine when I log in as root after this upgrade, what happened to my normal account that I use? Linux I now is powerful, can this not be fixed w/o having to reinstall?

So if anyone could help me figure this out so I can get back to saving the world that would be great. That is a joke you know.

So no one knows a answer to any of these questions?