PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] pulseaudio causes mozilla, thunderbird to freeze.

TrevorBradley
November 5th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I've upgraded from Jaunty to Karmic earlier this week, and having a nasty time with it.

Pulseaudio seems to be a big source of my problems. I've noticed that when Thunderbird attempts to play a new mail sound at the same time mozilla is playing a flash video, one or the other or both will hang. If I run "pkill pulse", all is well again.

I *think* the error I'm getting in user.log is:

Nov 5 08:58:28 pergamon pulseaudio[2569]: alsa-sink.c: Error opening PCM device front:0: Device or resource busy

.. but I haven't explicitly checked it yet.

I've also had mythbuntu issues directly related to pulseaudio that were solved by uninstalling pulseaudio. However I'm worried about removing the ubuntu-desktop package and what that might do to my backend Karmic ubuntu server.

Pulseaudio has been the source of about 50% of my headaches for the household karmic upgrade.

Are there any hints for diagnosing a pulseaudio freeze? I'd rather try to solve this than simply delete pulseaudio and have a slightly broken system.

iamnotthemessiah
November 5th, 2009, 06:36 PM
ditto
cant help unforunately :(

edit: mine was a clean install with clean firefox profile and the 64bit alpha flash

TrevorBradley
November 7th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Well, I'm giving up... removing pulseaudio on my server. It may screw up future updates but not having to open up a terminal and type "pkill pulse" twice a day will give me a bit of peace.

EDIT: Well, if I attempt to play two audio sources at once, one is muted. Better than having one or both applications hang.

stoepvats
November 7th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I also had quite a lot of trouble using pulseaudio, especially when I was recording sound. I also had stuttering playback of sound, which I fixed by just removing pulseaudio and instelling esound, and rebooting:

sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio
sudo apt-get install esound
However, this seemed to kill all my recording capabilities, but playback sounded quite ok. Now I just use an usb sound system I had laying around and that seems to work fine in pulseaudio.

BTW: removing pulseaudio didn't remove ubuntu-desktop for me, so it could easily turn it around when it didn't work