PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no internet connection after 9.10 upgrade

bergspyder
November 5th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I'm running 2 identical Dell C640s on same router except one runs ubuntu 9.04 & firefox 3.5.1, the other runs ubuntu 9.10 & firefox 3.5.4

Problem is Dell running 9.10 (since upgrade): It recognizes router, ping works, says it's on line etc., but firefox won't launch internet, (all) "web page not found"

Dell running 9.04 working perfectly as always. So I checked all network & firefox settings and as far I see all are identical

Any ideas anyone? Many thanks for looking

Farajamo
November 5th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I'm having the same problem too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

s_raiguel
November 5th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Could it be that the automatic DHCP protocol isn't implemented or isn't working, so it can't resolve internet addresses? Maybe using a working machine, you could find out what your name server's address is and manually configure the network for that name servers.

pdoes
November 5th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Just to check some things could you open a terminal and do the following command:

sudo cat /etc/resolv.conf

What is the output on both machines?

bergspyder
November 6th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks for reply.
NetworkManagers of both machines show "nameserver 192.168.1.1"

pdoes
November 6th, 2009, 11:15 PM
You said ping works, is that a ping to an IP or to a name?

Will this

dig cnn.com

resolve addresses on the machine that's not working?

bergspyder
November 7th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Pinged router IP address. Should I try pinging router name (which I asssume is Auto eth0 in my case)?

$ dig cnn.com produces on working machine

; <<>> DiG 9.5.1-P2 <<>> cnn.com
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 20996
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 6, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;cnn.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
cnn.com. 52 IN A 157.166.255.18
cnn.com. 52 IN A 157.166.226.26
cnn.com. 52 IN A 157.166.226.25
cnn.com. 52 IN A 157.166.224.26
cnn.com. 52 IN A 157.166.224.25
cnn.com. 52 IN A 157.166.255.19

;; Query time: 86 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
;; WHEN: Sat Nov 7 09:23:12 2009
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 121

$ dig cnn.com returns on machine not working:

; <<>> DiG 9.6.1-P1 <<>> cnn.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 41430
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 6, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;cnn.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
cnn.com. 182 IN A 157.166.224.26
cnn.com. 182 IN A 157.166.255.18
cnn.com. 182 IN A 157.166.255.19
cnn.com. 182 IN A 157.166.224.25
cnn.com. 182 IN A 157.166.226.25
cnn.com. 182 IN A 157.166.226.26

;; Query time: 84 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
;; WHEN: Sat Nov 7 09:34:17 2009
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 121

Thanks

murrayhansen
November 7th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Hi,
Just upgraded my Dell laptop from 9.04 to 9.10 (clean install) and same problem.
I can connect to my router and ping web addresses, but no internet traffic via Firefox.
I have a PCMCIA wireless card that worked fine with 9.04.
Just tried with a wired connection and same problem.
Followed the instructions for disabling IPv6 but no luck.
Changed permissions for user to allow connections to internet, but still nothing.
VERY frustrating, and annoying.
Have two other machines running 9.04 but will not upgrade until this issue resolved.
And very sorry to say this, because I am a rock solid Ubuntu (since version 6) and Linux fan, but this is not good.
Imagine all the newbies downloading Ubuntu for the first time, because of the good reviews of 9.10 and having this problem.

onurdas
November 7th, 2009, 12:15 PM
using AOA 150. Network manager says auto eth0 connected. But firefox synaptic cannot get connected. Network tools: ping traceroute works. Emphaty is working.

disabling ipv6 solved firefox problem but synaptic stil can't connect.

murrayhansen
November 8th, 2009, 02:17 AM
have disabled ipv6 via:

in terminal
Code:
gksu gedit /etc/sysctl.conf
and add this line
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1

And in firefox via config:about

That has allowed me to connect to the internet via firefox.

But still no connection via synaptic or the software centre.

checked entries in /etc/resolv.conf
and all looks fine.
Gave laptop a static IP address but no difference.

this is wasting far too much of my time.

DiogoFC
November 8th, 2009, 02:25 AM
I have the same problem. Would appreciate some help, too.

DiogoFC
November 8th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Well, actually now it is working, but after trying a lot of solutions I don't which of them is responsible for that.

Probably it was forcing the following jaunty packages: network-manager, network-manager-gnome, libnm-glib0 and pptp-linux.

But only after two restarts [?] it did take effect, so maybe it was something else I did.

bergspyder
November 8th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I agree with murrayhansen, particularly concerning Linux reputation
I'm giving up & going back to 9.04 (but not Windows)
Thanks to all for your help

bergspyder
November 11th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I agree with murrayhansen, particularly concerning Linux reputation
I'm giving up & going back to 9.04 (but not Windows)
Thanks to all for your help

So, after ubuntu 9.10 internet connection failure, tried reinstalling 9.04 but get error message "[ 3.679595] IO APIC resources could not be allocated." Reburned DVD with ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso several times & rebooted but always same result. Can anyone help on this one?

bwdease
November 11th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Re: no internet connection after 9.10 upgrade
Well, actually now it is working, but after trying a lot of solutions I don't which of them is responsible for that.

Probably it was forcing the following jaunty packages: network-manager, network-manager-gnome, libnm-glib0 and pptp-linux.

But only after two restarts [?] it did take effect, so maybe it was something else I did.

Ok! I think I may have stumbled across something here. I found this on another sight, so here goes....
-open firefox
-"about:config" in the address bar
-click "I'll be careful. I promise."
-in filter type "network.dns.disableIPv6"
-make it "true"
-close firefox and try again.

I noticed a difference right away in my browser. Worth a try for others who are experiencing the say problems. I did still have internet though, but reallllllll slow. After this change, It's now normal speed for me. Good luck!!!

toxicpoison
November 13th, 2009, 05:27 AM
about:config" in the address bar
-click "I'll be careful. I promise."
-in filter type "network.dns.disableIPv6"
-make it "true"
-close firefox and try again.

this works for getting online with firefox . But still no connection via synaptic or the software centre.I also havesame prob. aseveryone else everything seems fine with my connection , but ain't. I also am goung back to 9.04. Totally fed up with this prob. If anyone has a solution please post or messager or email me thanks

barkhat
November 13th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I just installed 9.10 on a new computer with Vista installed. I can't get a connection to the Internet. I have other computers which are connecting just fine, including this one on the Vista portion. It's wireless (and so are the others) including one using Linux Mint and a Mac OS. I can't figure out what to do.

Trying to follow what some have said here I tried the "cat /etc/resolv.conf" command and get No such file or directory. Of all the things on a computer that I think I understand networking isn't one of them.

How can I get connected to the Internet? All other computers are working just fine. I'd appreciate some help. Thank you.

Justin Pentecost
November 13th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I'm pretty sure this is a DNS related problem ..

I've take the advice here and disabled the ipv6 ..

The only thing I haven't done is to turn off the ipv6 at boot time ..

There is some code to put into the Grub file to do this .. But I don't have grub file (Either I have no grub or no config file for it this is 9.10 running on it's own ..)

Should I create a grub file or is there another file that runs on startup I could put the code in ?

khaktus
November 18th, 2009, 11:19 AM
The same issue for me on DSL. I was working on 9.04 for a few months without problem, now absolutely no internet connection on 9.10 - neither in Mozilla, nor in Synaptic. However, as I run dual boot with XP, on Windows, network connection is fine. Lucky me...

There are so many bugs launched and so many forums with dozens of workarounds for experts, creating new bugs... Can somebody write a step by step solution for newbie?

0. The network is not working. (Don't tell me to download something).
1. What to do/rewrite/edit/launch to make a temporary workaround - network somehow working (mozilla, synaptic, or whatever)
2. What to do to download/get somehow some official fix (not creating new bugs) ... if it already exists.

I'm not satisfied with answers like "upgrade NM with ppa" or "try pppoeconf"... it doesn't tell me much.

Please, someone, make a clear summary.

Do not send me another links to read endless forums... I have spent hours reading them... I'm used to the plurality of responses and solutions while working with Ubuntu, but having such a major problem, I'm loosing my patience. It is a major issue and newbies are not able to spend days reading forums, that offer so many workarounds, that need to be topped by other workarounds... I need to see what to do right now and not to read what hundreds of people tried... Where is Ubuntu's official solution? They should have a step by step fix on the first page of their web.

michael.barnes
February 4th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I didn't see a final answer.
I ran into a similar problem. I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10. Some things worked, some did not, like dig, host, etc. I checked /etc/resolv.conf and found:

nameserver 10.33.8.11 10.33.4.136

I changed it to:

nameserver 10.33.8.11
nameserver 10.33.4.136

and all was well.

Michael

roeghar
February 4th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Well I'm glad I didn't get as far as some of you and loose my internet connection with 9.10. When I tried several times today to upgrade via the Update Manager, I couldn't get past the setting new software channels part. Some where near the end of that section, but before getting new packages I got this message:

W:Failed to fetch http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/dists/karmic/Release Unable to find expected entry partner/binary-powerpc/Packages in Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)
, E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Well fortunately it returned to 9.04 which is working well. Guess the only thing to do is wait until the malformed release file or whatever gets fixed.