PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Session menu gone, can only log in to failsafe

Fr33d0m
November 5th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Well I was generally satisfied with 9.10 until yesterday evening. I got home from work and booted the laptop only to find that when I logged in I went straight to failsafe. I didn't have time to troubleshoot and I had setup my /home on a separate partition so I simply reinstalled, did what I needed to do and applied updates/installed emesene and liferea.

This morning I am back to booting straight to failsafe and I notice the session menu no longer exists.

I am on a Dell XPS M1330 with Intel video and have the 64bit version of Karmic installed by itself.

I do not recall seeing an upgrade to the video driver--I've seen other people (mostly with Nvidia) have been left in a similar condition by a driver upgrade.

startx does not start X. I'll have to try again and post the exact response.

Anyone have an idea on further troubleshooting or fixing?

Fr33d0m
November 5th, 2009, 11:27 PM
startx gives a generic server error and says it is already running which I think is correct.

I tailed the dpkg log and see that the last thing I installed was Cheese and I also remember installing the restricted extras package. I doubt these could be the issue but will try uninstall/roll back some things to see if I can get anywhere.

I still don't know what to look for. I tailed several other logs but nothing jumped out at me. Any help would be appreciated.

Fr33d0m
November 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Since nobody seems to have any ideas, I reinstalled and will take a slower approach to patches and other additions.

Fr33d0m
November 11th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I've been stable all week and have installed all the applications and updates that had been installed before with one exception--ubuntu-restricted-extras. The extras package loads several 32bit libraries and apps.

I did try to recreate the problem by loading the extras package but was unable to so my assumption that the extras package was at fault remains unproven.