PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Temporary internet disabling software for Linux?

khughitt
November 5th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Hi all,

I recently heard about Freedom for Mac (http://macfreedom.com/) which is basically a hack that lets you temporarily disable your internet connection, so that you can focus on work.

Anyone know if there is anything similar for Linux? So far I haven't been able to find any. The closest I've found are Firefox plugins, but that wouldn't do anything for email, chat, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

frederik.heremans
November 5th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Just turn of your network-interface. Find the right one using ifconfig -a. Shutdown and statup an interface using:

ifdown eth0

ifup eth0

i.r.id10t
November 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Execpt ifup/ifdown depend on the /etc/network/interfaces file which Ubuntu doesn't use for anything but lo :(

khughitt
November 5th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Just turn of your network-interface. Find the right one using ifconfig -a. Shutdown and statup an interface using:

Hehe.. that assumes I have the will power to resist re-enabling the connection before I get my work done :)

BbUiDgZ
November 5th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Hehe.. that assumes I have the will power to resist re-enabling the connection before I get my work done :)

set a cron to run:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop

and then when u work is done assuming its a time

sudo /etc/init.d/networking start