PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Can not get USB Startup Disk Creator to work

jlh68
November 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I have Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix burned to a CD and I have a Kingston 2 GiB flash drive. The flash drive held UNR 8.10 which I removed to make space for UNR 9.10.

When I run "USB Startup Disk Creator", I get a notice saying "Unable to determine the partition number". I ge no choice in how to define a partition number for the flash drive.

So I am asking for help.

Mighty_Joe
November 5th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Fire up the Partition Editor (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/), create a new "msdos" partition table (the USB Creator will not work without one), then create a new FAT32 partition.

jlh68
November 5th, 2009, 04:21 PM
More info: UNR 8.10 flash drive was screwed up (and still is) I got out a new 2GiB flash drive and I was able to load onto it Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10. I will later, after backing up all my data on my netbook, try to do a clean install of UNR 9.10 on my Acer One netbook.

Now to get the old flash drive straightened out so it will be usable for file storage.

jlh68
November 5th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Well Mighty_Joe, as you can see I used a new flash drive and got it to work. I was playing with GParted prior to reading your post, but I did go and set it up as FAT32 and I believe it is now restored to a usable device. I will be able to use it for file transfers between computers and storage of files.

Thanks for your help.