PDA

View Full Version : Installing UNR onto Desktop Karmic

Dr_Bobby
November 5th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Hi,

I have tried to install the UNR onto my Samsung N140 from a flash image on a pen drive. No luck with the usb-creator or with UNetBootin. The installer would simply crash with "Can not mount /dev/loop1 to /dev/cow" or similar.

Anyway, I tried with the Karmic Desktop .iso and it worked fine. My question is - can I install the extra UNR packages from within Karmic and if so, what are they?

Thanks!

Thibaud74
November 5th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I have the same error... search with google, we must configure a file a the root of the usb. We get in touch !

raymondh
November 5th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Hi,

I have tried to install the UNR onto my Samsung N140 from a flash image on a pen drive. No luck with the usb-creator or with UNetBootin. The installer would simply crash with "Can not mount /dev/loop1 to /dev/cow" or similar.

Anyway, I tried with the Karmic Desktop .iso and it worked fine. My question is - can I install the extra UNR packages from within Karmic and if so, what are they?

Thanks!

Dr. Bob,

Used to be able to do that in 9.04 and on a DELL. I have not tried it yet on Karmic. Here's the DELL link

http://www.ubuntumini.com/2009/03/installing-ubuntu-netbook-remix-in.html

Also, I have noticed that I get better USB burn results (using the USB creator) if I choose "non-persistent". That's the option where you do NOT create space to save files and settings..... rather, all files/setting will be discarded.

YMMV.

Thibaud74
November 5th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Mhh... When I test md5sum, the original file is
268b2ecada999fbe2e298c56a9aa1f50
So the test gets :
ed6e77587b87fe0d92a2f21855869f00

Hard to success to download it... Or is a bad file ?

Dr_Bobby
November 6th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Raymond, thanks for link. Trying it out now.

Thibaud - if your MD5s don't match you should download again...

Cheers

raymondh
November 7th, 2009, 01:58 AM
@ thibaud74 .... use the 'torrent' to download.

@ Dr. Bob,

Am having problems with 9.10 UNR on an MSIWind netbook relating to X (graphics). Hope all's well your end.

Regards,

wojox
November 7th, 2009, 02:12 AM
@ Dr. Bob

Just open synaptic and search ubuntu netbook remix. You can download and install on top of karmic.

jthirt
November 7th, 2009, 12:10 PM
wojox,

I did exactly that and I'm now trying to find out where I can activate the netbook desktop.

The only sign of change is that windows are now automatically maximized (I understand maximus does that) and title bars are gone, but I have no sign of the new desktop and the desktop-switcher doesn't exist in synaptic.

Is there a distinct source for it?

I have an old laptop with a fairly low resolution (1024x768) so it would be nice I guess!

thanks for your help!
JT

jthirt
November 13th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I gave up and re-installed from scratch. But now it is another ball game with the launcher not working as expected!

See here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1325096) for details!

Thibaud74
November 16th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Hi,
I downloaded the daily version, not the link corrected. I verified the md5sum, it's good now. So, I installed UNR with a bootable usb disk (my first key was not recognize in the setup). Now, UNR is installed and work ! The only problem is with the resolution, 1024x768 is not recognize (only 1024x600 or 800x600), so I will try to find a best driver because clone mode is usefull for presentations.
Thanks,
Thibaud.