PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blinking Caps Locks Light After Installation? WTF!

Gp.
November 5th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I have Windows 7 installed on my Toshiba A300 Laptop.
After a failed attempt to install Ubuntu with dedicated partitions (see another post which never got an answer) I decided to install Ubuntu 9.10 inside Windows.

So it worked. Then I installed the proprietary drivers for the GFX card. I restart, and now all that happens when I boot is I see the Ubuntu logo, then a black screen and the caps locks light is just blinking on and off. Never stops.

That's it, my ubuntu is already screwed. I'm not digging 9.10, it's been problems so far and if it wasn't that, it was problems in the past with 9.04 and 8.10 not supporting hardware, or kernel bugs. Seriously, if Ubuntu doesn't support a Desktop with new hardware and a new laptop, is it ever going to work for me?

I know people say "use what works", but to be fair what I've used of Ubuntu is great, but it looks like I don't have an option but Windows if I can't even get Ubuntu to work. Help would be appreciated!

Gp.
November 10th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Back to Windows 7 it is.

Dark_Stang
November 10th, 2009, 02:31 AM
That's called a kernel panic. You probably screwed something up. Did you want help or are you just venting?

viper250
November 10th, 2009, 03:34 AM
refer to the solved post win 7 karmic dual boot. this may help
when you have a kernel panic your computer is trying in vain to resolve a conflict in hardware detection and the configuration of the software that will be using it and will halt upon error
that prevents possible damage to your file system

Gp.
November 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM
All I did, was install the proprietary driver for my graphics card. I then reboot the laptop and bam! Kernel panic.
I'd love help but seriously If Ubuntu can't operate on drivers that it recommends, why would I use it?

I need something that works for me. I'm not bias to any OS. I love Ubuntu, I love Windows, and although I don't use Mac alot I think they are great for things.

But I would love 9.10 working on my system.

Dark_Stang
November 11th, 2009, 06:27 PM
So did you try the 173 or the 185 nVidia driver? Whichever one you tried, try the other and see what happens.