PDA

View Full Version : Moved back to 9.04!

scottishbloke
November 5th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Karmic koala just is not working on my pc,it has boot up problems,no use at all too me,so ive moved back to trusty jaunty,if the next l.t.s. does not correct these issues its time for a new linux me thinks,one that will work.

stinger30au
November 5th, 2009, 11:26 AM
what ever works man

10.04 will be out soon, i would expect it to be a polished 9.10 with many bug fixxes

Kevbert
November 5th, 2009, 11:40 AM
9.04 is pretty stable, 9.10 for me is not. 10.04 will be a lot better as it will be an LTS release. New releases of Ubuntu (for me) tend to be a little unstable until they've been out for a couple of months and a load of bugs have been fixed.
If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it...;)

Zoot7
November 5th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Karmic koala just is not working on my pc,it has boot up problems,no use at all too me,so ive moved back to trusty jaunty,if the next l.t.s. does not correct these issues its time for a new linux me thinks,one that will work.
If it works for you stick with it. There's no reason to dump Jaunty if you're happy with it, after all it is maintained for another year or so with updates is it not?
I found out the hard way with Intrepid when I ran an upgrade to it - broke everything, so I went back to Hardy for almost a year.

meho_r
November 5th, 2009, 11:58 AM

You know what I liked about your post? You actually said that it is not working "for you", not "it is not working". Usually people start bashing it from start when something isn't working as expected. Jaunty will be supported until Ubuntu 10.10 and I hope 10.04 will solve all issues you have with 9.10.

laidback
November 5th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Last year I tried 8.10 but wasn't as happy with it as I had been with 8.04, so this year I decided to bypass 9.10 and stick with 9.04. I shall upgrade to 10.04 when it's been out for a few months. I upgrade with a fresh install which has worked for me. As I use caddys I can keep the older version running whilst I get comfortable with the latest installation. In case you don't know the caddy system allows me to swop over my HDDs in a similar way to switching DVDs, you just need to shut the PC down to make the change over.

As other replies say above, if it works for you then stick with it.

ukripper
November 5th, 2009, 02:24 PM
You can stick to 9.04 and can also give a try in couple of months when most bugs are ironed out. Every new release has its own set of anomalies to begin with.

To make the release better, you can always contribute towards bug reporting on launchpad https://launchpad.net/.

philinux
November 5th, 2009, 02:32 PM

Must be a specific hardware thing. It running fine here.

Have you reported the specific bugs to launchpad. Without this feedback the bugs may remain.

sadaruwan12
November 5th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Well, I 'd my fair share of problems with 8.10 then I went back to 8.04 currently at home I'm using the same 8.04 but at work my PC and my NB was running jaunty but now I've upgraded to Karmic I've no problems actually it solved some problems I'd with 9.04. And I love the new GDM and the Usplash also the new Icon theme as well. The best thing was I got my WiFi working on my NB which was giving me hell on 9.04 also the new UNR interface is lovely simple and smart. All in all for me 9.10 is far more better than the 9.04 or 8.10 I don't know about you I just love it.

3rdalbum
November 5th, 2009, 02:52 PM
9.04 is pretty stable, 9.10 for me is not. 10.04 will be a lot better as it will be an LTS release.

Not necessarily. In order for 10.04 to be stable, it needs as many people as possible to test it. Test early, test often. Test the first beta, test the second beta, test everything before that if you can. Submit as many detailed bug reports as you can. Install the testing distributions onto your real hardware (in a different partition).

It seems that you're less likely to come across major problems if you are part of the testing effort.

Kevbert
November 5th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Not necessarily. In order for 10.04 to be stable, it needs as many people as possible to test it. Test early, test often.
It seems that you're less likely to come across major problems if you are part of the testing effort.
Currently trying out 10.04. Over 110 updates so far (including the toolchain). If you think you've found a new bug, report it on Launchpad (https://launchpad.net) and have a look at the Reporting Bugs page. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs)

frodon
November 5th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Moved to Community Cafe

scottishbloke
November 5th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Yeah what does not work for me will of course work for others,its a shame as i was looking forward to karmic,i may try again in a few months and will start working on the launchpad about my problem,meanwhile jaunty NEVER lets me down,i love jaunty and ubuntu,i just hope that i dont get left behind:cry:

Dragonbite
November 5th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Chances are the biggest issues will be adressed by December or January.

I'm thinking about holding on until a month or so after 10.04 is released.

ukripper
November 5th, 2009, 05:12 PM
If we want better 10.04 release, we should start testing it right now going forward and report bugs to launchpad. This way we get to decide how good our own future release will be.

fela
November 5th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Kubuntu 9.10 works great, however Ubuntu 9.10 wouldn't even boot on mine. I'm using and enjoying the former. Have to love KDE 4.3!

kansasnoob
November 5th, 2009, 06:14 PM
This is exactly why I multi-boot. Currently Win XP, Jaunty, Mint Gloria, and Karmic.

Both Jaunty and Gloria are incredibly stable. So that's what I use for actual production.

For playing I can use Karmic and try to help work out the remaining bugs that effect me.

FuturePilot
November 5th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Karmic isn't working too great for me either. Still using Jaunty on the laptop, it works perfectly.

aaaantoine
November 5th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I've been burned by an Ubuntu install before (8.10). I gave Canonical a month to work out the bugs before I decided I suffered long enough. My plan was to roll back to 8.04, but first I thought I'd try this Arch Linux that everyone was talking about at the time. Still trying it out. My trial will end as soon as my install suffers catastrophic failure. Then I will roll back to 8.04. ...Hmm. Maybe I should adjust this plan somewhat now that there have been two new Ubuntu releases.

If I hadn't switched to Arch, I'd probably be using either 8.04 or 9.04 right now. The trick is to combat the temptation to upgrade shortly after release. Wait until the complaints die down. Or use strictly LTS releases (and even then, wait until the 3 year desktop support window runs out on the one you're using before upgrading).

Running Arch though gives me the latest packages (after they've spent some time in testing). I've learned similar lessons with Arch, by the way -- For one, save my upgrades for the weekend so I don't lose my work machine for a day due to an unsynced package.

Eisenwinter
November 5th, 2009, 06:50 PM
10.04 will be a lot better
I didn't know you can predict the future.

fela
November 5th, 2009, 07:07 PM

No, he has a point. The LTS releases have a much higher priority where fixing bugs is concerned. I have an idea that Lucid Lynx will be 'what Karmic Koala should have been'.

Dragonbite
November 5th, 2009, 07:21 PM
No, he has a point. The LTS releases have a much higher priority where fixing bugs is concerned. I have an idea that Lucid Lynx will be 'what Karmic Koala should have been'.

True, and maybe Karmic is having issues becuase they want to push some things into it so as to work out the bugs before including it in the LTS! That way, what they need to go to make it good for 10.04 is "fix" it, not integrate it and start from scratch.

Kinda like how Microsoft was smart enough to re-use Vista and dig deeper in making Windows 7, rather than start from scratch and have to go through all of the initial bugs all over again!

Kevbert
November 5th, 2009, 08:16 PM

Trust me. From my experience, every so often we seem to get a Ubuntu version that's does not seem to be as well polished as previous versions, such as 8.10 and 9.10 looks like it may be similar. So far 10.04 is disappointing in that it's working very well for me and hasn't crashed as yet.

Exodist
November 5th, 2009, 08:19 PM
There is Debian 5.0.3 Lenny for those looking for the most stable software.

fela
November 5th, 2009, 10:44 PM
There is Debian 5.0.3 Lenny for those looking for the most stable software.

IMO if you're on a desktop and you want debian, you go for 'squeeze' or the 'testing' one which is actually more stable than alot of 'stable' distros. Use lenny if you're on a server - that's what I run on my home server and it's great for that. On a desktop, imo, the packages are just too old and you'll feel 'left behind'. I have Kubuntu 9.10 on my desktop.

True, and maybe Karmic is having issues because they want to push some things into it so as to work out the bugs before including it in the LTS! That way, what they need to go to make it good for 10.04 is "fix" it, not integrate it and start from scratch.

Kinda like how Microsoft was smart enough to re-use Vista and dig deeper in making Windows 7, rather than start from scratch and have to go through all of the initial bugs all over again!

Yeah, exactly.

fela
November 5th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Trust me. From my experience, every so often we seem to get a Ubuntu version that's does not seem to be as well polished as previous versions, such as 8.10 and 9.10 looks like it may be similar. So far 10.04 is disappointing in that it's working very well for me and hasn't crashed as yet.

That was sarcastic, I hope!

hyperdude111
November 5th, 2009, 10:50 PM
My favorite release has been 8.04 but because I can't help upgrading I now use 9.10

Zoot7
November 5th, 2009, 10:52 PM
On a desktop, imo, the packages are just too old and you'll feel 'left behind'.
+1 That's why I abandoned Debian in favour of Ubuntu.

Kevbert
November 6th, 2009, 08:45 AM
That was sarcastic, I hope!

If I could predict the future I'd tell you the lottery numbers for today's draw:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

aaaantoine
November 7th, 2009, 01:34 AM

This may be true, but even Hardy had its share of regressions at launch, if I recall correctly.