PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DMRaid (mirror) Installation works from CD (Boot from first hdd) but not unassisted

spyyderz
November 5th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Hello,
I've been working on this for 5 night now and cannot figure this out.

I have a fakeraid setup in a mirror
I've reinstalled ubuntu dozens of times with different guides and tutorials.
Letting the installer do the paritioning, partioning before hand with gparted/fdisk, creating a boot partition with and without boot flag, everything in a extended partition, let the installer install grub, manual install of grub, with reboots in between and without, so on and so on.

About 10 tries ago I accidentally went to the boot from first harddrive selection in the ubuntu cd menu... and it worked...

I went through all the configuration choices I had gone through previously again... and all of them failed when trying to boot straight to ubuntu, yet all succeeded when booting to the first harddrive from the cd.

The problem that I am having is that grub comes up and either after auto or manual selection, it goes to a screen with an underscore blinking... forever.

Can anyone help me with this scenario? Despite all my trial and errors, I am still not sure if this problem is grub not handing off to the OS properly, or if Ubuntu isn't receiving properly...

Much appreciated