PDA

View Full Version : BlueorbOS

chris200x9
November 5th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I have high hopes for this OS, after all they are throwing money at it like mad.

http://www.getacoder.com/projects/programming_c_87390.html

xuCGC002
November 5th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Why am I suddenly thinking of iMagic?

syntr
November 5th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Budget: $*20-100

lol...

chris200x9
November 5th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Budget: $*20-100

lol...

I wonder if I could palm off react0S on him, "it's kind of windows xp compatible, give me $100 now!" I might try, earn $100 for sending him an iso :D

Frak
November 5th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Design me an OS in under $100...

Go!

Warpnow
November 5th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Design me an OS in under $100...

Go!

Buntu spins count?

-grubby
November 5th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Buntu spins count?

He said 'design me an OS' not 'design me a new theme and default application set.'

Frak
November 5th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Pastebin (http://pastebin.toastcode.com/)

Where's "English" in the language combo box?

-grubby
November 5th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Where's "English" in the language combo box?

It sounds kind of hard to syntax highlighting English.

Frak
November 5th, 2009, 06:20 AM
It sounds kind of hard to syntax highlighting English.
Make everything red. People's opinions are always wrong anyways.

Warpnow
November 5th, 2009, 06:24 AM
He said 'design me an OS' not 'design me a new theme and default application set.'

So ubuntu isn't an OS?

praveesh
November 5th, 2009, 06:27 AM
That project will not be completed . They says that all the files running on win xp should be able to run on their os . So exes should also run which is impossible . Even wine and react os cant run all the exes .

Warpnow
November 5th, 2009, 06:28 AM
That project will not be completed . They says that all the files running on win xp should be able to run on their os . So exes should also run which is impossible . Even wine and react os cant run all the exes .

Hell, even windows can't half the time.

schauerlich
November 5th, 2009, 06:29 AM
So ubuntu isn't an OS?

"Design an OS" doesn't mean "Take an already existing OS, change it slightly, and repackage it." It means "create a new platform."

-grubby
November 5th, 2009, 06:29 AM
So ubuntu isn't an OS?

Um, yes it is, but the typical Ubuntu remix doesn't involve redesigning an OS from the ground up, which is what 'designing an OS' implies to me.

Warpnow
November 5th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Um, yes it is, but the typical Ubuntu remix doesn't involve redesigning an OS from the ground up, which is what 'designing an OS' implies to me.

Ubuntu is not built from the ground up. Its built from debian up, just like the remixes are built from ubuntu up.

schauerlich
November 5th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Ubuntu is not built from the ground up. Its built from debian up, just like the remixes are built from ubuntu up.

Linux distros are just various repackaging of the same pool of programs. It's not really designing an OS unless you have a different "way of doing things" at a low level.

Warpnow
November 5th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Linux distros are just various repackaging of the same pool of programs. It's not really designing an OS unless you have a different "way of doing things" at a low level.

Its all a matter of perspective. Official definitions of the phrase are too vague to be certain, so it comes down to personal interpretation. To someone who doesn't care about low-level things, Kubuntu and Ubuntu are definitely different operating systems, because it requires them to operate their systems in different ways.

This is not really an argument that can be won. I just like playing devil's advocate.

schauerlich
November 5th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Its all a matter of perspective. Official definitions of the phrase are too vague to be certain, so it comes down to personal interpretation. ... This is not really an argument that can be won. I just like playing devil's advocate.

No, you're just wrong.

Frak
November 5th, 2009, 06:49 AM
no, you're just wrong.
+1

Warpnow
November 5th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Prove it, then.

Or are you saying that OSX isn't its own OS because at its lowest levels if behaves like BSD? Are DOS and Windows 7 the same operating system?

Where is the line drawn?

Of course, its purely subjective. You can't objectively prove these things because they have no objective referrence for what an operating system is, exactly, or rather, at what point.

schauerlich
November 5th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Or are you saying that OSX isn't its own OS because at its lowest levels if behaves like BSD?They don't use the same kernel. The file system (in terms of layout) and init are different. A lot of stuff is different.

Are DOS and Windows 7 the same operating system?Windows hasn't been based on DOS for a long time.

Where is the line drawn?While the definition of operating system is not easily pinned down, it is generally accepted the to the layer that applications must go through to do anything with the hardware. This includes the kernel and certain low level functions like file manipulation. Swapping out the GUI (Ubuntu vs Kubuntu) doesn't change what operating system it is. Neither does adding a bunch of stuff on top of it (debian vs. ubuntu).

Warpnow
November 5th, 2009, 07:05 AM
They don't use the same kernel. The file system (in terms of layout) and init are different. A lot of stuff is different.

To what degree does the kernel need to be changed? Can I alter a few minor things and then its a new OS?

While the definition of operating system is not easily pinned down, it is generally accepted the to the layer that applications must go through to do anything with the hardware.

No, that's how you define it. It may even be how a majority of computer scientists define it. Ask most people what an operating system is and they wouldn't even know.

This includes the kernel and certain low level functions like file manipulation. Swapping out the GUI (Ubuntu vs Kubuntu) doesn't change what operating system it is. Neither does adding a bunch of stuff on top of it (debian vs. ubuntu).

All your personal opinion, with no basis in evidence or fact.

schauerlich
November 5th, 2009, 07:08 AM
No, that's how you define it. It may even be how a majority of computer scientists define it. Ask most people what an operating system is and they wouldn't even know. ... All your personal opinion, with no basis in evidence or fact.

I guess using the generally accepted definition isn't good enough, because it's not your definition, which seems to be whatever is most convenient at the time.

I'm going to go play tennis with a brick wall now, I'll be back once I've won.

Warpnow
November 5th, 2009, 07:11 AM
I guess using the generally accepted definition isn't good enough, because it's not your definition, which seems to be whatever is most convenient at the time.

I'm going to go play tennis with a brick wall now, I'll be back once I've won.

I'm not the one claiming my definition is right. I'm claiming its subjective, and therefore neither right or wrong. It is like the words good and jackass, in that you can't objectively determine their attribution.

I'll say this, though, most of the "non-operating systems" of the world call themselves OSs in presentations, their websites, amongst discussion, and basically everywhere else in the world.

-grubby
November 5th, 2009, 07:14 AM
My original point was that making an OS from the ground up is significantly different than making your typical Ubuntu remix.

Okay?

earthpigg
November 5th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Buntu spins count?

I'll take $100. beer money.

edit:

and in response to the debate going on...

knowing what i know now, recreating Masonux for $100 would be about $50/hour. not including the documentation, making a website, and hardware costs (test machines). assume a person will come and document and make a website when done, and assume two or three dudes are sitting next to two or three computers waiting for me to hand them CDs/thumb drives to test on. assume they are capable of installing Ubuntu from those mediums.

not knowing what i know now, but knowing what i knew when i decided i wasn't happy with Crunchbang Linux and started in earnest (not originally intending to release it to the public), $100 would end up at around $3-4/hour. most of that time, of course, spent learning... the time not spent learning was spent documenting. maybe i am a slow learner? dunno.

anyone want to offer me a real job in software design? preferably leaning towards the $50/hour and not the $3/hour. :D :D

RedSocrates
November 5th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Prove it, then.

Or are you saying that OSX isn't its own OS because at its lowest levels if behaves like BSD? Are DOS and Windows 7 the same operating system?

Where is the line drawn?

Of course, its purely subjective. You can't objectively prove these things because they have no objective referrence for what an operating system is, exactly, or rather, at what point.
Listen, a concept may have vague boundaries without it being the case that it's "purely" subjective, i.e., without it being the case that there are no cases where it clearly does apply and no cases where it clearly does not apply.

For example, if I have a couple of specks of dirt and rock in my hand, it's clear that I am not holding a mountain. On the other hand, there are obvious cases where the thing in front of me just is a mountain (take Mount Washington, for example). This is true even though Mount Washington happens to be composed of millions upon millions of specks of dirt and rock. However, there is apparently a vague borderline between mountains and non-mountains. If you take billions of separate specks of dirt and rock and begin piling them together, at some point you will have just a few specks of dirt and rock, and at some point (in the distant future) you will have a mountain, but good luck determining where the cut-off point is. Is 50,000 specks of dirt and rock not a mountain, and then, suddenly, 50,001 specks of dirt and rock is? I don't know. But it's still not "purely subjective" that Mount Washington is a mountain, or that a speck of dirt and a speck of rock are not a mountain, assuming that you are speaking English and using "mountain" to mean mountain, and so on -- these are clear (or "paradigm") cases. Similar things can be said about grains of sand and sand dunes, and many other sorts of things.

One case where things seem roughly analogous is the case of operating systems. Kubuntu and Ubuntu are not different operating systems. As a user of the English language who understands the term "operating system," that strikes me as obvious, and the attempt to argue otherwise strikes me as a stubborn attempt to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. Windows and FreeBSD are different operating systems. I don't know where the borderline is, but it also isn't "purely subjective."

KiwiNZ
November 5th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Now what was the topic of this thread ?

schauerlich
November 5th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Now what was the topic of this thread ?

Here's $20, write ReactOS plz.

KiwiNZ
November 5th, 2009, 09:34 PM
ReactOSReactOSReactOSReactOSReactOSReactOSReactOSR eactOSReactOSReactOSReactOSReactOSReactOSReactOSRe actOSReactOSReactOSReactOS
ReactOSReactOSReactOSReactOSReactOSReactOSReactOSR eactOSReactOS

I am greedy sorry :p

mmix
November 5th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Here's $20, write ReactOS plz.

no money plz, wait 2 years then. :)

schauerlich
November 5th, 2009, 09:37 PM
ReactOS[...]
I am greedy sorry :p

How inefficient!

yes ReactOS

#include <stdio.h>

int main() {
while (1)
printf("ReactOS\n");
}

#!/usr/bin/env python

while True:
print "ReactOS"

Frak
November 6th, 2009, 12:02 AM
How inefficient!

yes ReactOS

#include <stdio.h>

int main() {
while (1)
printf("ReactOS\n");
}

#!/usr/bin/env python

while True:
print "ReactOS"
C#

using System;

namespace ReactOS
{
class Program
{
static void Main(string[] args)
{
while (true)
{
Console.WriteLine("ReactOS");
}
}
}
}

schauerlich
November 6th, 2009, 12:04 AM
$$$$$$C#$$$$$$

Fixed it for you.

Frak
November 6th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Fixed it for you.
$$$$$$F#$$$$$$

while true do
printfn "ReactOS"

Sporkman
November 6th, 2009, 02:31 AM
This thread has Jumped the Shark.

coldReactive
November 6th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Probably, the user found ReactOS, asked if X feature could be written for it, and then the developers said either Y was being used instead and told the user that Y may not run everything due to the fact it has not been developed fully yet.

Or, the user found ReactOS, and they wanted X, but the developers can't implement it for another 2 years or so.

Or, the user found ReactOS, and they wanted X, but the developers do not want to implement it (IE: MIDI Handling.)

Or, the user found ReactOS, went to the IRC room, the devs joked around in a way that hurt the user mentally, then the user spammed and got banned for a while from the IRC Room.

Or, the user is actually the ElementOS Developer in disguise.

schauerlich
November 6th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Probably, the user found ReactOS, asked if X feature could be written for it, and then the developers said either Y was being used instead and told the user that Y may not run everything due to the fact it has not been developed fully yet.

Or, the user found ReactOS, and they wanted X, but the developers can't implement it for another 2 years or so.

Or, the user found ReactOS, and they wanted X, but the developers do not want to implement it (IE: MIDI Handling.)

Or, the user found ReactOS, went to the IRC room, the devs joked around in a way that hurt the user mentally, then the user spammed and got banned for a while from the IRC Room.

Or, the user is actually the ElementOS Developer in disguise.

Or, the user has never heard of ReactOS, and is just an idiot.

Frak
November 6th, 2009, 03:29 AM
This thread has Jumped the Shark.
LOLCode

HAI
BTW REACTOS NVR REACHES ANITHIN OVR 0 LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
I HAS A REACTOS
LOL REACTOS R 0
IM IN YR BASE
VISIBLE REACTOS
IZ REACTOS BIGR THAN 0
[YARLY]
GTFO
KTHX
KTHX
KTHXBYE

nathang1392
November 6th, 2009, 03:34 AM
lol. when blueorbOS hits the market you guys will be sorry lmfao. and dont try to download it from your favorite bittorrent search engine, because its hacker safe. lol.

schauerlich
November 6th, 2009, 08:45 AM
LOLCode

Did you know that much LOLCode already, or did you learn it just for this thread?

syntr
November 6th, 2009, 07:53 PM
or, the user has never heard of reactos, and is just an idiot.

+1

mmix
November 6th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Budget: $ 20-100

His keyboard doesn't support '^', so he typed '-'.

8)

Frak
November 7th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Did you know that much LOLCode already, or did you learn it just for this thread?
Microsoft supports it in Visual Studio. It's a .NET language that can be found through a couple of plugins.