PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] No new login screen after Karmic upgrade

Kralizec
November 5th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Hi guys. I have no problems with my Karmic upgrade except that after upgrading I don't have the fancy new login window that everyone else is raving about. I have the face browser, but the background is solid brown with an ugly grey interface and there is no progress splash screen after logging in. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Donalb
November 5th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Same problem here. (And others that I've seen also).

One way of addressing here;

http://lionlix.wordpress.com/2009/10/23/hack-ubuntu-9-10-karmic-koala-gdm-login-screen/

But to honest I can't understand it. It's about changing back to GDM though rather than fixing our problem.

Kralizec
November 6th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I followed the instructions in that post, and it turns out there weren't actually any options for GDM configuration in the gnome control center.

Linfreak
November 7th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I was facing the same problem ever since I upgraded to Karmic from Jaunty. Try installing xsplash.

apt-get install xsplash

Probably in a fresh install this package is installed, whereas its left out in an upgrade from an earlier release.

Cheers.. HTH..

Kralizec
November 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Thanks! Installing xsplash did indeed get me the nice background and the login status screen. The interface still looks the same, but that could just be how it is supposed to be and I didn't get a good enough look at it before.