PDA

View Full Version : Bonjour,

Jean-Danjou
November 5th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I found a good article about the new Ubuntu on a French radio site:
"http://www.france-info.com/chroniques-nouveau-monde-2009-11-01-nintendo-vise-les-seniors-nouvelle-version-d-ubuntu-363708-34-35

Basically the guy said how refreshing it is to have new OS for free when Windows 7 is out, bla bla bla..
But some part of this article made me send back a kind email to this ignorant Frenchman (by the way, he is a Technology advisor on French National Radio, and wrote books about new technology, and software!!!LOL)
What he said was that the problem with Ubuntu is that you need to run "Special" software" and no Windows program will work on it ! (That show the technician knowledge ! ha ha ha .)
So I reply to him, nicely, in French, with a Link to the French "Wine" page and also all the Linux Equivalent !
Hopefully he might see the light !
I will keep you updated if I get any kind of reply from him !

Long live Ubuntu,
R.I.P Mickeysoft!

Bölvağur
November 5th, 2009, 03:16 AM
I encourage new users not to use WINE.

edin9
November 5th, 2009, 03:17 AM

What if there WoW addicts?

CJ Master
November 5th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Long live Ubuntu,
R.I.P Mickeysoft!

<snip>

xuCGC002
November 5th, 2009, 03:44 AM

+1

WINE isn't there yet for most apps. Praising that it works perfectly is just an outright lie.

The Funkbomb
November 5th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Wine is a terrible program. Avoid at all costs. I had it installed and it never worked right. Then, when I went to uninstall it, it would not completely leave my system.

xuCGC002
November 5th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Wine is a terrible program. Avoid at all costs. I had it installed and it never worked right. Then, when I went to uninstall it, it would not completely leave my system.

Huh, "Terrible" is a bit insulting. It seems to me that the app you were trying to run didn't work under WINE. Did you check the AppDB first?

Frak
November 5th, 2009, 04:53 AM

Most of that is Ubuntu's fault. There are plenty of dependencies that aren't "actual" dependencies. As for the uninstallation, it *should* leave your system completely, if it didn't, that's the fault of the package maintainer, not Wine.

And, for my final three points: Ubuntu is so vague and unknown that large technology reporting corporations have only blips of information to report on it. Much of which is either "Ubuntu releases new version, here's what doesn't work" or "Bug in Linux kernel affects users, blah blah blah, something about Ubuntu".

Secondly, he was right, Windows programs will not run natively in Ubuntu by default. It requires special software.

Lastly, instead of disowning every new Windows release, LEARN FROM THEM. For example: Windows has this great new feature of running one service to poll for new system events, called Trigger Start Services (http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/developers/archive/2009/10/26/windows7-trigger-start-services-part-1-introduction.aspx), that can monitor such things as a device being inserted into a port. The service then starts the necessary service to handle it, cutting down on the number of services polling 24x7 for devices. What do Ubuntu users do? Rant, rant, rant, Ubuntu's better, Window$ suxxorgz.

RiceMonster
November 5th, 2009, 05:00 AM
What if there WoW addicts?

Play WoW on windows. Problem solved.

lisati
November 5th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I keep Windows around for the stuff that works with Windows. A lot less hassle than trying to coax it into life using Wine and then possibly discovering that it won't work.

ndefontenay
November 5th, 2009, 05:07 AM
I think that what triggered the attention of our french ubuntu user here is that this guy was saying that windows apps doesn't work on ubuntu, implying that there's no alternatives either.

I'm not sure wine is a solution either. I like to show that there are alternatives that works better.

ndefontenay
November 5th, 2009, 05:13 AM
I just read the article. I think that the author does quite well for a brief 10 lines article.

He says that:
1) Ubuntu is an alternative to windows
2) It's free
3) It has 16 million users worldwide
4) It's a different system altogether so forget about windows apps (therefore implying use ubuntu's ones instead)
5) Ubuntu represents 1% of OS usage overall, making it the most used linux distro.

10 lines 5 points and all nice.

France is pretty open to open source and The french gendarmerie (read police) works 100% ubuntu.