PDA

View Full Version : Very strange......

dragos240
November 5th, 2009, 02:36 AM
I have some very nice big speakers. Subwoofer, and everything else. So I put on a video with different frequencies on it. From 20 to 70 Hz with me putting the sound up to about 47% (usually at 23%) air was blowing out of my subwoofer, and it sounded like a big airplane was flying over my house. My stepmom and my brother could hear it. They thought it came from outside. At about 70 hz, my desk and room was SHAKING! I turned it up only at about 47%. maybe it's time to downgrade my sound system. :lolflag:

fela
November 5th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Just:

mv /dev/soundsystem /internet/fela/christmasgifts

I need it :mad:

dragos240
November 5th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Just:

mv /dev/soundsystem /internet/fela/christmasgiftsI need it :mad:

No. Sorry. But even if I did, my soundsystem would become all of your christmas gifts. You didn't:

mv /dev/soundsystem /internet/fela/christmasgifts/

the / at the end is important.

fela
November 5th, 2009, 02:45 AM
the / at the end is important.

I never put a slash at the end and none of my data gets overwritten. For example, say I was backing up my pictures:

cp Pictures/* /media/nas-nfs/pictures

seems to work ok.

PurposeOfReason
November 5th, 2009, 02:47 AM
OH NO! IT'S THE LOUDNESS WAR!!1!1!!1

Loud /= quality. Thank you CD mastering in the past decade for ****ing that up for us.

dragos240
November 5th, 2009, 02:47 AM
I never put a slash at the end and none of my data gets overwritten. For example, say I was backing up my pictures:

cp Pictures/* /media/nas-nfs/picturesseems to work ok.

However, assuming you have a file labeled pictures, it will be overwritten.

dragos240
November 5th, 2009, 02:48 AM

Loud /= quality. Thank you CD mastering in the past decade for ****ing that up for us.

Well. I have a 2008 sound system. really big, really warm sound. It has quality, and it can kill eardrums.

pwnst*r
November 5th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I have some very nice big speakers. Subwoofer, and everything else. So I put on a video with different frequencies on it. From 20 to 70 Hz with me putting the sound up to about 47% (usually at 23%) air was blowing out of my subwoofer, and it sounded like a big airplane was flying over my house. My stepmom and my brother could hear it. They thought it came from outside. At about 70 hz, my desk and room was SHAKING! I turned it up only at about 47%. maybe it's time to downgrade my sound system. :lolflag:

my subs = bigger than your subs ;O

http://i37.tinypic.com/6fqbz8.jpg

pwnst*r
November 5th, 2009, 02:49 AM

^^winnar!!!

dragos240
November 5th, 2009, 02:49 AM
my subs = bigger than your subs ;O

http://i37.tinypic.com/6fqbz8.jpg

Indeed!

PurposeOfReason
November 5th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Well. I have a 2008 sound system. really big, really warm sound. It has quality, and it can kill eardrums.
Year means nothing and if it can kill eardrums, then your source is horrible. I can crank up my vinyls up to 11 on my system and they still work fine*.

*This is more or less a joke. Take it for what you will.

dragos240
November 5th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Meh. I would never turn the sound up to the max again. Last time I did, it was a half second, and my ears were ringing for 2 days after. Yeah, just kidding. It was only ringing for a few seconds. But it scared the heck out of me.

Groucho Marxist
November 5th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Year means nothing and if it can kill eardrums, then your source is horrible. I can crank up my vinyls up to 11 on my system and they still work fine*.

*This is more or less a joke. Take it for what you will.

Why don't you just make 10 louder and play it at 10?

RiceMonster
November 5th, 2009, 03:52 AM

this goes to eleven

pwnst*r
November 5th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Meh. I would never turn the sound up to the max. Last time I did, it was a half second, and my ears were ringing for 2 days after. No kidding.

wait, you said you would never, but you still did.

RiceMonster
November 5th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Meh. I would never turn the sound up to the max. Last time I did, it was a half second, and my ears were ringing for 2 days after. No kidding.

I don't believe that. My ears didn't even ring for that long after being in the front row of a Megadeth concert.

PatrickBoyle
November 5th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Meh. I'll keep my Sennheiser HD555s

dragos240
November 5th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Meh. I would never turn the sound up to the max again. Last time I did, it was a half second, and my ears were ringing for 2 days after. Yeah, just kidding. It was only ringing for a few seconds. But it scared the heck out of me.

Look now.

pwnst*r
November 5th, 2009, 03:32 PM
i called you out for exaggerating before and you didn't like it. good to see you're not wishy washy!

Tristam Green
November 5th, 2009, 03:32 PM
He showed you, st*r.

Purpose is the winner here: Volume does not quality make.

People with beat-up cars need to learn this.

pwnst*r
November 5th, 2009, 03:53 PM
haha he certainly did. lOL! roflmao.

no.

xuCGC002
November 5th, 2009, 03:57 PM

Does it use vacuum tubes? If not, your speakers suck. :D

The Real Dave
November 5th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I've a small pair of harmon/kardon regualar pc speakers :) They serve me well :)

My friends house however, is completely wired(less) with these tiiiinnnyyy little golf ball size speakers. They're all over the place, about 50 of em, and has 3 HUGE subs, the whole house must shake when at max :lolflag: Rich c**t :D

pwnst*r
November 5th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Does it use vacuum tubes? If not, your speakers suck. :D

that makes no sense. speakers don't use vacuum tubes.

lukjad
November 5th, 2009, 05:15 PM
i called you out for exaggerating before and you didn't like it. good to see you're not wishy washy!

Look, this is the internets. Everyone pads the story a bit, if only to account for inflation. If you can't allow for a bit of supposed exaggeration, you don't belong here.

By the way, I have converted the linux kernel to python. ;)

Miguel
November 5th, 2009, 05:52 PM
My friends house however, is completely wired(less) with these tiiiinnnyyy little golf ball size speakers. They're all over the place, about 50 of em, and has 3 HUGE subs, the whole house must shake when at max :lolflag: Rich c**t :D

Real sound systems don't have subwoofers. Real speakers are big enough not to need subwoofers. As an example, you can vistit B&W's site (http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=768). You will find subwoofers there for people wiling to spend a fortune in home cinema systems. I personally don't know why people are obsessed with subwoofers.

As a sidenote, I have some (probably low end) wifi headphones at home. I don't like them at all, because I can hear some noise in the background. However, I am deeply in love with my Grados Sr-125

RiceMonster
November 5th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I personally don't know why people are obsessed with subwoofers.

Well, I have a subwoofer with my computer speakers and it makes a good footrest :p.

PurposeOfReason
November 5th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Real sound systems don't have subwoofers. Real speakers are big enough not to need subwoofers. As an example, you can vistit B&W's site (http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=768). You will find subwoofers there for people wiling to spend a fortune in home cinema systems. I personally don't know why people are obsessed with subwoofers.

As a sidenote, I have some (probably low end) wifi headphones at home. I don't like them at all, because I can hear some noise in the background. However, I am deeply in love with my Grados Sr-125
Because to get a speaker that can produce something decent below ~25-35hz accuratley will cost a small fortune to most people. I know I'm getting a sub when I have the money.

pwnst*r
November 5th, 2009, 06:20 PM

except that not everyone can fit something that will extend that deep in their setup or even dealing with the WAF (wife approval factor). i'm currently building line source speakers which extend to the low 20's

http://i35.tinypic.com/j0ejcn.jpg

GR Research Alpha LS

lukjad
November 5th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Now THIS is a subwhoofer.
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/8/1023299/subT9922_JackHammer_800.jpg

pwnst*r
November 6th, 2009, 02:29 AM
why yes, yes it is. too bad it's not yours :P

BuffaloX
November 6th, 2009, 02:55 AM

I think some surround systems can't redirect the subwoofer channel to front speakers properly.

I have also experienced that changing the phase of the subwoofer can have a dramatically positive effect, although it should be all wrong to do so.
I'm a bit puzzled on that one.

Also you don't really need the front speakers to be able to take the low frequencies, since low frequencies don't have any stereo perspective anyway.

With Subwoofers you can have bass reflex for very low frequencies without ruining precision of higher bass frequencies.

Well, I have a subwoofer with my computer speakers and it makes a good footrest :p.

And then there's that too. :D

pwnst*r
November 6th, 2009, 03:11 AM
I think some surround systems can't redirect the subwoofer channel to front speakers properly.

I have also experienced that changing the phase of the subwoofer can have a dramatically positive effect, although it should be all wrong to do so.
I'm a bit puzzled on that one.

Also you don't really need the front speakers to be able to take the low frequencies, since low frequencies don't have any stereo perspective anyway.

With Subwoofers you can have bass reflex for very low frequencies without ruining precision of higher bass frequencies.

And then there's that too. :D

he's referring to music for proper large speakers. you don't have to worry about surround in music unless it's a concert dvd, sacd, etc, to which is a whole different usage of the speakers.

a proper 2 channel system has no use for LFE out.

"ruining the precision of higher bass frequencies"? that's complete rubbish unless you have cheaply made speakers.

Bungo Pony
November 6th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I don't have a subwoofer on my stereo system. I have a jacked up 1970s quadraphonic system. The front speakers (Fisher) are HUGE and make the house shake... The best part is I got them for ten bucks at a yard sale. Rear speakers are just a couple of little Jensen things, but they're mostly used for ambience.

I've got a nice Quad 8-track player which will give me true discreet 4-channel music. Everything else is done with matrix, and I honestly think it sounds better than the dolby 5.1 setup in my living room.

pwnst*r
November 6th, 2009, 03:37 AM
unless it's live recordings, i'm not a fan of surround for music.

Machnikowski
November 6th, 2009, 03:57 AM
You people are making me feel insignificant with my Logitech Z4's.

Chronon
November 6th, 2009, 04:27 AM

Not a fan of the Spinal Tap, eh?

BuffaloX
November 6th, 2009, 09:57 AM
he's referring to music for proper large speakers. you don't have to worry about surround in music unless it's a concert dvd, sacd, etc, to which is a whole different usage of the speakers.

He was referring to "real sound systems".
A real sound system should be good for movies too IMO.

a proper 2 channel system has no use for LFE out.

Why not just go Mono while you're at it.
Just kidding :p
For a classic stereo setup, you can equally well do both.
But if you want powerful bass, it can be done cheaper with a sub, and the combined physical volume of the speakers can be smaller, while getting the same results, so the reasons can be both budget and aesthetics.

"ruining the precision of higher bass frequencies"? that's complete rubbish unless you have cheaply made speakers.

Exactly getting equal results without a sub is more expensive.

But I'll admit that the absolutely worst sounding systems I've heard has been surround systems with small satellites and a sub.

pwnst*r
November 6th, 2009, 02:22 PM
He was referring to "real sound systems".
A real sound system should be good for movies too IMO.

lol? a 2 channel system isn't a real sound system? please tell me i read that wrong before i disprove you.

nothingspecial
November 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM
No one has posted a real speaker yet.

Note, mine is in storage and I found a picture of (roughly) the same one (might be a different model, certainly looks the same). Anyway, never mind all these namby pamby things in this thread.

This is a propper speaker

pwnst*r
November 6th, 2009, 03:02 PM
No one has posted a real speaker yet.

Note, mine is in storage and I found a picture of (roughly) the same one (might be a different model, certainly looks the same). Anyway, never mind all these namby pamby things in this thread.

This is a propper speaker

um...proper for instruments, not proper for playback of music.

BuffaloX
November 6th, 2009, 03:50 PM
lol? a 2 channel system isn't a real sound system? please tell me i read that wrong before i disprove you.

Yes and mono is just as real, it wasn't my choice of words, but you chose it to mean for music, I chose it to mean for music and movies.

What's your problem?

fela
November 6th, 2009, 04:26 PM
However, assuming you have a file labeled pictures, it will be overwritten.

I don't have a file labled 'pictures'. I always know exactly what files are where, so I don't get that problem.

pwnst*r
November 6th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Yes and mono is just as real, it wasn't my choice of words, but you chose it to mean for music, I chose it to mean for music and movies.

What's your problem?

mono is just as real if one of your ears are broken. do you hear in mono?

steveneddy
November 6th, 2009, 05:07 PM
If you really want great sound from your system, use a tube driven amp and let the warmth surround you.

Even CD's and .mp3's sound better while playing through tube gear.

In the High Fidelity world, volume capability far outweighs sound quality.

Get your EQ correct for the room and use the amps power for the peaks of the original sound source, therefore using the true capabilities of your system.

How to get great EQ at moderate volume levels?

Pull the sliders down instead of pushing them up. Pushing up, or adding volume also adds distortion.

Try it.

PurposeOfReason
November 6th, 2009, 05:12 PM
If you really want great sound from your system, use a tube driven amp and let the warmth surround you.

Get your EQ correct for the room and use the amps power for the peaks of the original sound source, therefore using the true capabilities of your system.

Pull the sliders down instead of pushing them up. Pushing up, or adding volume also adds distortion.

Try it.
In the world of high fidelity they're worrying more about mastering then dare touching any eq. And the tube argument is all choice, some people like it some don't. It also matters what gear it is powering, not everything likes to play nice with tubes.

pwnst*r
November 6th, 2009, 05:23 PM

Try it.

that's extremely general and very subjective, just like any other audio enthusiast's opinion.

"In the High Fidelity world, volume capability far outweighs sound quality."

you have that backwards.

steveneddy
November 14th, 2009, 06:37 AM
"In the High Fidelity world, volume capability far outweighs sound quality."

you have that backwards.

You are correct.

In general, I can get a good sound from a box of peanuts, but that's just because I know how what I'm listening for.

pwnst*r
November 14th, 2009, 07:14 AM
a box of peanuts as your source?

Tipped OuT
November 14th, 2009, 07:27 AM
a box of peanuts as your source?

Damn pwnst*r, you're all over this thread. Vicious.

Grifulkin
November 14th, 2009, 07:31 AM
My sound system. Also my 360 and my netbook.

Dekkon
November 14th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I don't believe that. My ears didn't even ring for that long after being in the front row of a Megadeth concert.

Alot of concerts now don't play there music to what they used to play it. Now when I go to a concert, I can stand next to the speaker and my ears won't ring the next day. Though, back in 2nd grade when my mom took me to a kiss concert(on school day of course. :D) my ears were ringing for 2 days.

Everyone is so borrring these days....

pwnst*r
November 14th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Damn pwnst*r, you're all over this thread. Vicious.

yeah, i tend to be a bit anal about the subject.

-grubby
November 14th, 2009, 08:46 AM
My speakers look like this (Sorry, couldn't find a larger picture): http://f1.auctions.c.yimg.jp/img177.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/0/3/4/4/dagras88-thumb-125644107616088.jpg

Is this bad?

pwnst*r
November 14th, 2009, 10:24 AM
they're hot.

steveneddy
November 16th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Here is an example of what your EQ may look like after spending some time listening.

This is the EQ setting I have seen in hundreds of recording studios and in the racks of live sound reinforcement companies for the last few decades.

No matter how much I listen and "tweak" settings, It still comes up looking close to this every time.

Just remember to pull down the sliders instead of pushing up. Pushing up adds distortion. Pulling down adds clean volume.

The bottom line is to EQ to your speakers. If your speakers are small, pull the lows out and add back when listening at the volume level you prefer.

I never EQ at low volumes. I turn it up, then set tone controls and EQ. You'll get a better sound quality over all volume levels this way.

Quick EQ settings? Turn the system up with the EQ set flat until you hear distortion, then turn it down just a little, until the clipping goes away. Then EQ from there. You can use the amps headroom from there for the peaks and the compressed music you pump through your rig should sound great.

pwnst*r
November 16th, 2009, 04:52 AM
The bottom line is to EQ to your speakers.

actually, you EQ to your room.