PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 32bits to 64bits, keeping programs e configuratiosn

jadriano
November 5th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Hello!

I need some help...
I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 32 bits, but I want to upgrade it to 64 bits keeping my files, programs and configurations...

Is there a way to do it??

How can I proced?

My computer is 64 bits, but I've downloaded and installed a 32bits version... but now, I'm working on it... I didn't like to install a new version...
Or...
If is possible to keep my apt-sources... is there a way to save my lists and source... then reinstall them will be easy...

Thanks your help.

dhavalbbhatt
November 5th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Hello!

I need some help...
I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 32 bits, but I want to upgrade it to 64 bits keeping my files, programs and configurations...

Is there a way to do it??

How can I proced?

My computer is 64 bits, but I've downloaded and installed a 32bits version... but now, I'm working on it... I didn't like to install a new version...
Or...
If is possible to keep my apt-sources... is there a way to save my lists and source... then reinstall them will be easy...

Thanks your help.
You cannot "upgrade" from 32 bit to 64 bit, without doing a new install, in which case, you cannot "keep" your system settings. However, that being said, you can still back up your home folder (which I am guessing contains all your system settings) and after the installation process, re-apply them to the new system. Unfortunately, I have not done anything like that myself, so can't comment further, but I am sure there are others who would have done that. Either search or ask - you will be helped!