PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What if the option "Try Ubuntu without change..." is restarting my PC?

darkod
November 5th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Hello.

I am a recent Ubuntu user, I installed UNR 9.10 on my netbook.

I am considering the desktop version 9.10 for my desktop and I burned the 64bit ISO on CD. Booting from it goes well, I select the Try Ubuntu... option from the menu just to try it. Then the white logo shows up for a while, and after that the brownish screen with Ubuntu written on it. You can see that for barely a split second and the PC reboots itself.

Tried it a few times and it always reboots itself at that point.

Then I used a USB stick to boot up 64bit Desktop 9.10 and try it out. The same happened. At the same point it reboots itself.

Does that mean some hardware incompatibility? I can not use Ubuntu on my desktop?

I don't have any special hardware, here are the basics:
MB Gigabyte MA78G-DS3H, ver1.0, BIOS F3
VGA integrated Radeon HD3200
CPU Athlon x2 4850e
RAM 2x2GB Kingston Hyperx DDR2 800MHz
Seagate 250GB SATA HDD
LG DVDRW SATA

That's about it. I didn't try the install option because I'm not ready to install yet. Wanted to try it out first also to check for any hardware incompatibility.

What does it mean when it reboots itself?

Cheers.

rygar
November 5th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Try the 'check disc' option on the CD. Often this is a sign of a bad burn... If this is the case, you can try burning at a lower speed.

I know you said you tried installing via USB, but I thought perhaps you just copied the files from the cd you had burned, which would cause the same problems...

adalal
November 5th, 2009, 01:08 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1220831

darkod
November 5th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the replies. Since the other thread is about HD3200 I'll continue posting there although from the first read I didn't understand anything. The other person was asking about installing the driver in Jaunty and I'm trying to start Karmic so I can't see the connection. He has a working Ubuntu and I can not even start the installation it seems.

As for the USB, no, I didn't copy the CD. I created the USB with unetbootin and the Ubuntu ISO renaming afterwards isolinux to syslinux as per another forum post to make the main Ubuntu menu show up.

So the CD and USB were in effect like different sources.

EDIT: Actually I just noticed that the thread mentioned above is closed (can't post there any more) and just by reading it it didn't help my situation a bit. So if someone has more info whether the HD3200 is making it impossible for Karmic to be installed/run as live CD please reply. I'll continue googling anyway now that I know the HD3200 might be a problem.

EDIT2: Not I am even more confused. Googling I found another thread from this forum (marked solved) that mentioned Karmic would have drivers for HD3200 by default. Does that mean the reboot is happening because of the HD3200 or not?