PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Adobe Reader

n3tef
November 5th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Hi All,

My son bought me this laptop with a ubuntu operating system and I am learning. I have been a windows guy for a long time so I need help.

I went to adobe website and downloaded the following file but I can not install it. What do I need to do to install the reader?

AdbeRdr9.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin

lisati
November 5th, 2009, 12:51 AM
If you want to view PDF files, you should be able to use "evince" which comes installed as standard on most Ubuntu installations.

If you want to use the file you've downloaded, open up a termainal (Applications->Accesories->Terminal), then type (assuming you downloaded the file to your desktop):

cd ~/Desktop
chmod +X AdbeRdr9.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin

ausmuso
November 5th, 2009, 12:54 AM
The best way to get a working Adobe reader is by using Synaptic. First enable the Medibuntu repositories (read the Ubuntu Wiki on this), then start Synaptic and search for "acroread". Mark it for installation and it's all automatic from there on.

Welcome to the Ubuntu community and good luck!

aysiu
November 5th, 2009, 12:55 AM
I would recommend installing it using the package manager.

Step 1:
Make sure you have extra repositories enabled
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources

Step 2:
Install it
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

Ishipaco
August 15th, 2010, 01:15 AM
If you want to view PDF files, you should be able to use "evince" which comes installed as standard on most Ubuntu installations.

If you want to use the file you've downloaded, open up a termainal (Applications->Accesories->Terminal), then type (assuming you downloaded the file to your desktop):

cd ~/Desktop
chmod +X AdbeRdr9.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin

Since you would be trying to execute a file that may not be in your $PATH, you may get a "command not found" error. In that case, use the following command for the one in bold above:

./AdbeRdr9.2-1_i486linux_enu.bin