PDA

View Full Version : Is installing a mail server on my home computer a stupid idea?

rob86
November 4th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I've been reading some linux webpages that talk about sending email from a terminal. This seems cool, but is it a stupid idea to run a mail server just for myself or do people actually do this?

ZankerH
November 4th, 2009, 11:08 PM
If you just want to send and receive mail with a terminal application, just use a client like fetchmail or Mutt. Otherwise, go for it!

dragos240
November 4th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I have not gotten postfix to work yet. It's pretty frustrating.

FuturePilot
November 4th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Just my opinion here. It's not reliable. With your own mail server you're relying on 1 server which means a single point of failure. There's no redundancy so if your server goes down or your connection dies and someone tries to send you something, well...

There may be other issues as well such as your ISP blocking certain ports and if you have a dynamic IP just about any email provider will reject anything you send so you'll have to configure the server in a certain way to avoid that.

Of course you could do it, I just wouldn't rely on it.

LookTJ
November 4th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Both Comcast and ATT made it impossible to set up a mail server with the default configuration.

With Comcast, I had to setup smtp through them. ATT is much more difficult and so far no success. The ISPs did this to prevent spam I suspect. ATT used to have an opt-in for port 25, not anymore :(.

Hope you have better luck with your ISP if you decide to go ahead with this

amauk
November 4th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I've been reading some linux webpages that talk about sending email from a terminal. This seems cool, but is it a stupid idea to run a mail server just for myself or do people actually do this?I run my own mail server
(although from my home server, not my desktop machine)

infestor
November 4th, 2009, 11:17 PM
if you get a server and a reliable connection why not?

MechaMechanism
November 4th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Go for it! I use Exim4 although in my case it's setup for remote smarthost because my ISP don't allow port 25. If your ISP don't allow port 25 then I would suggest Tuffmail as your remote smarthost. Get your your own domain too. And don't use port 25, use 587 with TLS for encrypting your login. And remember if the mail server is down no one can send you an email so have a backup server. Good luck.

3rdalbum
November 5th, 2009, 03:51 AM
You can send mail from a terminal or a script without having an e-mail server.

I'd be careful with e-mail servers - the last thing you want is to leave it poorly secured and have spammers start using it.

JillSwift
November 5th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Well, most mail servers won't accept smtp traffic from most "home" IP addresses. Though you can get around that easily enough with ssmpt and your ISP's smtp server.

As for receiving mail, as has already been said, if your connection and server are reliable enough, why the heck not?

Xbehave
November 5th, 2009, 04:26 AM
security. Make sure it's safe and kept upto date, mail servers have a bad track record

NTolerance
November 5th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I use exim4 + smarthost to my ISP email. This allows my cron jobs to send me email about their status. exim4 is very easy to configure in ubuntu, just run

sudo dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

and follow the prompts.

Warpnow
November 5th, 2009, 06:46 AM
If your power goes out...net goes down...PSU fals...

No email. I wouldn't use it for important things.

rob86
November 5th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I don't think installing a mail server is worth the effort really. I do however think fetchmail looks good. Does it work with GMail? I found conflicting reports on it's compatibility with GMail and a lot of the guides are almost 5 years old, probably a lot has changed since them..

Fetchmail seems kind of complicated. I don't know much about encrypting things. I tried to follow instructions, but some of the commands didn't do seem to work. I did manage to connect to my ISP's pop server, which was simple enough, but I didn't use any of that fancy encryption stuff most of the webpages I read talked about.

ade234uk
November 5th, 2009, 07:38 AM
For educational purposes I would say yes, but for reading your email everyday its more hassle than its worth. You might as well get yourself a gmail account.

MechaMechanism
November 6th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I don't think installing a mail server is worth the effort really. I do however think fetchmail looks good. Does it work with GMail? I found conflicting reports on it's compatibility with GMail and a lot of the guides are almost 5 years old, probably a lot has changed since them..

Fetchmail seems kind of complicated. I don't know much about encrypting things. I tried to follow instructions, but some of the commands didn't do seem to work. I did manage to connect to my ISP's pop server, which was simple enough, but I didn't use any of that fancy encryption stuff most of the webpages I read talked about.
I don't use Gmail myself but here's what I found.

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2005/05/using-fetchmail-to-download-emails.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GmailPostfixFetchmail
http://download.gna.org/hpr/fetchmail/FAQ/gmail-pop-howto.html
http://www.axllent.org/docs/networking/gmail_pop3_with_fetchmail
http://souptonuts.sourceforge.net/postfix_tutorial.html

Do keep in mind that if you use the daemon then fetchmailrc needs to be chmod 600 and chown fetchmail:nogroup. And of course Gmail settings for pop3 needs to be on.