PDA

View Full Version : What can I use cron for?

rob86
November 4th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Cron/crontab is certainly a nifty little thing, but I haven't been able to think of things to run with it. What do people typically use crontabs for? Just looking for some usage ideas.

I did find one use actually, I added @reboot wvdial which connects my dial-up on boot. It's handy..

Another use I found for it is to download weather radar images. Not a great use, since it only takes 30 seconds to download the image manually when I want an update, but oh well.

ZankerH
November 4th, 2009, 11:13 PM
-As an alarm clock
-To turn off wifi when I'm not home
-To backup files from my laptops to the homeserver (using rsync)
-To backup the homeserver to external storage (rsync again)
-To periodically make my router send its IP to my DDNS provider (one of those cases where I actually resent having a dynamic IP)

amingv
November 4th, 2009, 11:15 PM
-Configure updates to self-download and install (this is not always recommendable, though)
-Automate monotonous, but neccesary tasks (clearing the thumbnail folder and emptying the trash, making backups, etc)
-Waking you up in the morning (it's trustier than my cellphone, I can tell you that much)
-In short, pretty much anything that can be scheduled.

3rdalbum
November 5th, 2009, 04:05 AM
I used to use Cron on my server to turn the torrent client onto full speed during my ISP's "off-peak" period, and turn it back down to zero during the on-peak.

Now I don't bother; I had to switch from Transmission to Deluge (long story) and I can't figure out how to do it in Deluge.

I usually use "at"; it's much simpler for single-time tasks. I use it to reboot my machine and then suspend it; it's like a freshly-rebooted suspended computer.

sudo at now + 2 minutes
reboot
(control-d)

sudo at now + 5 minutes
pm-suspend
(control-d)

earthpigg
November 5th, 2009, 04:10 AM
-To periodically make my router send its IP to my DDNS provider (one of those cases where I actually resent having a dynamic IP)

care to provide more details on how this is accomplished?

handy
November 5th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Now I don't bother; I had to switch from Transmission to Deluge (long story) and I can't figure out how to do it in Deluge.

Transmission has the ability to set time periods for different speeds.

schauerlich
November 5th, 2009, 06:57 AM
I usually use "at"; it's much simpler for single-time tasks. I use it to reboot my machine and then suspend it; it's like a freshly-rebooted suspended computer.

shutdown supports delayed shutdown. On some systems, it defaults to waiting instead of shutting down immediately.

sudo shutdown -r +2

Barriehie
November 5th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I use it to:

1. backup
2. clean the firefox sqlite files
3. clean the thumbnail dir.'s
4. remove old session files
5. minimize the size of the .sheep directory
6. remove log files older than 1 month

Barrie

fatality_uk
November 5th, 2009, 01:08 PM
care to provide more details on how this is accomplished?

+1 :d

3rdalbum
November 5th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Transmission has the ability to set time periods for different speeds.

It does now, but it didn't in 8.10 which was the version I used on the server.

shutdown supports delayed shutdown. On some systems, it defaults to waiting instead of shutting down immediately.

So it does, I forgot about that.

handy
November 6th, 2009, 06:59 AM
It does now, but it didn't in 8.10 which was the version I used on the server.

Yeh! I thought that might be the case...

I like how they are perpetually improving Transmission.