PDA

View Full Version : Lastpass - What is the community's take on this product.

sefs
November 4th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Lastpass - https://lastpass.com/

Lastpass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

Create strong passwords, knowing you only have to remember one.
Fill forms in a second; stop pulling out your wallet to get your credit card number
Access and manage your data from multiple computers seamlessly
Securely share logins and notes with friends and let others share with you

kavon89
November 4th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Online password manager? ha

aysiu
November 4th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Sounds like Firefox's password manager, except for storing credit card info.

pwnst*r
November 4th, 2009, 10:42 PM
one word: "yikes"

SunnyRabbiera
November 4th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I wouldnt use it.

sefs
November 4th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I was just here listening to Paul Thurott & Leo Laporte raving about it.

cariboo
November 4th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Those guys use Windows and Mac mostly, what do you expect. It doesn't take much to make them ecstatic!

FuturePilot
November 4th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I don't like the sound of it. I'll stick with KeePassX

mobilediesel
November 4th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I'll keep using KeePassX. It tends to store my passwords right here in my computer where no one but me can get to them.

JoeSiegrist
November 5th, 2009, 12:09 AM
one word: "yikes"

We'd hope given all the time we've spent into supporting Linux for all our products (Firefox extension, Google Chrome extension, Pocket, Sesame) that this community might give us at least an honest look before passing judgment.

Many people who rule LastPass out do so because they're unfamiliar with Host Proof Hosting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host-proof_hosting

We understand why: an online password manager USED to be a bad idea; back when JavaScript implementations and computers weren't fast enough to pull the local encryption only model like LastPass off.

We'd encourage those who are interested to take a look at how it works. https://lastpass.com/technology.php

Joe Siegrist
LastPass

pwnst*r
November 5th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I was just here listening to Paul Thurott & Leo Laporte raving about it.

which episode was that? i bet that steve gibson wouldn't approve. leo's a tool anyway.

kavon89
November 5th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Give us at least an honest look before passing judgment.

I just did and take back what I said earlier, however, I still wouldn't use your service. I wrote my own password manager (http://cosis.googlecode.com) and it would be blasphemous to use something else. :lolflag:

Backups are additionally encrypted with GPG. Your private data is already encrypted on our servers -- we're just paranoid.

The redundancy of this made me laugh, but shows you guys are serious about security. :P

btafssp
December 2nd, 2009, 03:07 AM
Folks said LastPass was a good replacement for Roboform in Linux, but I can't figure out how to make it fill forms (credit cards, addresses, etc) like Roboform did in Windows.

<sigh>

ClarkinHawaii
December 27th, 2009, 03:37 AM
I tried out this product after reading the thread; and I am very pleased--It's just what I've been looking for.

Since switching to Ubuntu a couple of months ago, I have been looking for a backup program and have had no luck.

This simple yet elegant lastpass really backs up everything vital--urls and user data. A copy of all my emails is automatically kept on gmail's server.

If my main computer konks out, I have all my vital stuff on the lastpass on my laptop. If they both die at once, I can go to any public computer and go to the main lastpass site and there's all my stuff.

There are lots of linux backup programs available, but I'm not savvy enough to use them, so they are worthless as far as I'm concerned.

Many thanks to the people at lastpass. When I was reading through this thread, I had to cringe at all the negativity. Unfortunately I tend to be the same way with new stuff, but this program has opened my eyes. Beats the hell out of KeepassX, that's for sure!

pwnst*r
December 27th, 2009, 03:39 AM
^^must be one of the devs.

bashveank
December 28th, 2009, 01:47 AM
which episode was that? i bet that steve gibson wouldn't approve. leo's a tool anyway.

Are you serious? Leo's probably the kindest, mainstream pundit I know of.

Anyway, I heard about LastPass on one of Leo's shows and I really like the idea. I'm using 1Password right now, but LastPass looks really nice, especially the online aspect. The per month subscription model is a turn-off though,

Frak
December 28th, 2009, 01:51 AM
^^must be one of the devs.
This.

Hwæt
December 28th, 2009, 03:04 AM
This.

Obviously, and apparently the guy quoted below was too, since he felt the need to bump the thread after almost 1 day of inactivity...

Are you serious? Leo's probably the kindest, mainstream pundit I know of.

Anyway, I heard about LastPass on one of Leo's shows and I really like the idea. I'm using 1Password right now, but LastPass looks really nice, especially the online aspect. The per month subscription model is a turn-off though,

Can we get an IP check?

bashveank
December 28th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Obviously, and apparently the guy quoted below was too, since he felt the need to bump the thread after almost 1 day of inactivity...

:roll: clearly. Why the hostility?

pwnst*r
December 28th, 2009, 05:43 AM
:roll: clearly. Why the hostility?

in other news, that sushi roll picture just made me extremely hungry.