PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Worth getting a Mac just for the hardware? (Not planning on using Mac OS)

dpatel304
November 4th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I'm thinking about getting a Macbook because the build quality seems extremely solid and I like the look and feel of the screen, keyboard, and mouse. But I primarily want to use it to run Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I have never had the chance to experience the Mac OS for more than an hour, and I'm really curious to try it out. However, at the moment, I am pretty much dead set on having a laptop with both windows and Ubuntu (and possibly just ubuntu in the long run).

I'm wondering if its smart to get a Macbook just for the hardware and not the OS. Or would it be wiser to just get a comparable PC Laptop as there are more options and they seem slightly cheaper.

73ckn797
November 4th, 2009, 09:54 PM
For the price I would keep the Mac OS, install Ubuntu and not spend the money on Win 7. The Mac will cost $1000 USD. I know because my son just bought a Mac Book.

dpatel304
November 4th, 2009, 10:04 PM
For the price I would keep the Mac OS, install Ubuntu and not spend the money on Win 7. The Mac will cost $1000 USD. I know because my son just bought a Mac Book.

Yea, I was looking at that same model. That seems to be the cheapest.

I'm able to get a copy of Win 7 through my school for fairly cheap (~$30) so it's not a big deal for me. I also get a %10 discount on macs being a student as well.

I'm just wondering if it's worth the price if I don't plan to use the Mac OS, or are there other PC options that are just as good, hardware-wise, that would be cheaper.

73ckn797
November 4th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Yea, I was looking at that same model. That seems to be the cheapest.

I'm able to get a copy of Win 7 through my school for fairly cheap (~$30) so it's not a big deal for me. I also get a %10 discount on macs being a student as well.

I'm just wondering if it's worth the price if I don't plan to use the Mac OS, or are there other PC options that are just as good, hardware-wise, that would be cheaper.

Looking at what hardware people in the forums are saying does/does not work might be one way to find out. There have been threads about what hardware folks use.

Ubuntu has always worked on 4 computers and a laptop in my house. All different hardware. See my signature below.

dpatel304
November 4th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I've actually checked around and I see quite a few people using Ubuntu on Macs. I'm just wondering if Macs are worth it if I'm buying it solely for the hardware and not the OS.

73ckn797
November 5th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I've actually checked around and I see quite a few people using Ubuntu on Macs. I'm just wondering if Macs are worth it if I'm buying it solely for the hardware and not the OS.

I personally do not think a Mac is worth the high cost unless you must do something professionally that makes it some sort of standard in the field. I would just, and have, bought hardware and installed Ubuntu on it. For a good system you do not have to spend a lot. One computer I have with Ubuntu only cost $250 USD. That was for the MB, processor and memory. I have spent as little as $60 for a bundled MB and Ubuntu works great. I reused the case and other hardware from a previous system with no problems.

Untitled_No4
November 5th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I would recommend a ThinkPad. I don't know if it will end up cheaper but they are made to be fully compatible with Linux (Lenovo actually test them with several Linux distributions, including Ubuntu).

dpatel304
November 5th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I would recommend a ThinkPad. I don't know if it will end up cheaper but they are made to be fully compatible with Linux (Lenovo actually test them with several Linux distributions, including Ubuntu).

Yea, that was actually my first choice, and I'm thinking it is a better choice for me. I can get a pretty good Thinkpad for under a grand and it fits all my needs.

Thanks for all your responses guys.