PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz / 9.10 Default Visual Effects Issue

billlyum
November 4th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I've loved Ubuntu since 8.10. This is the first time I've had an issue I couldn't solve without asking which says a lot about the community. Try this on for size:

I recently upgraded to 9.10 which conveniently has most of the Compiz effects built in under System>Pref>Appearence>Visual Effects. So I decided I didn't need Compiz installed separately and looked up how to uninstall it. I googled and was told to use Synaptic Package Manager to remove the "compizconfig-settings-manager" which I did. Everything worked great except the 9.10 stock ALT+TAB window switcher is pretty lame. So, I decided to reinstall Compiz for the sole purpose of turning on the Ring Switcher.

For some reason after that reinstallation NO visual effects are working. Nothing turned on through Compiz Config Settings Manager works and when I max out the Visual Effects under System>Pref>Appearence none of them take effect either. I tried Re-uninstalling Compiz (didn't help) and reinstalling it (didn't help). Now I'm stuck.

If I need to run some sort of report through the terminal to provide more info that's not a problem; just instruct me on how to do it b/c I'm not too handy w/ terminal commands just yet.

Thanks very much for any assistance!