PDA

View Full Version : new 9.10 boots slower than old 9.04

MalphasWats
November 4th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Hi,

I installed 9.10 a day or so after launch as an upgrade to my 9.04. I'm running it on an eee 1000 and I'm really pleased with it overall.

I was excited about the improved boots speeds but find myself a little disappointed. It's not a huge increase, maybe 10 seconds to get to the login prompt and maybe a 5 or so more for a responsive desktop on password, certainly not game-breaking.

Is there anything I can do to try and improve the start up time? where would I start? I'm still fairly new at making linux go, but I'm fairly competent now.

Thanks
-Malphas

MalphasWats
November 5th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I timed booting today and it actually takes almost a full minute longer to boot up under 9.10 than it did 9.04.

Shutting down is blisteringly fast compared to how it used to be!

Anyone have any ideas on how I can speed up my boot time?

werecatomega
November 5th, 2009, 08:20 AM
i've also noticed that the boot seems to be slower, but that was when i upgraded from 9.04. i later did a clean install and it went much faster. i think it might have something to do with grub2 but i'm not sure.

negora
November 5th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I did a clean installation on an Acer Aspire One 110 and the result is the same: 9.10 boots slower than 9.04. I can't understand why.

At the beginning I thought that this slowness only happened when upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10, since I also have a desktop PC with Ubuntu and suffered from this problem (here I installed the "normal flavour" of Ubuntu). But I was wrong, obviously.

MalphasWats
November 5th, 2009, 10:46 AM
i've also noticed that the boot seems to be slower, but that was when i upgraded from 9.04. i later did a clean install and it went much faster. i think it might have something to do with grub2 but i'm not sure.

I had grub2 installed in my 9.04, it does add a small amount of overhead (particularly if you put large images as the background) but the delay occurs before the grub menu. My delay is somewhere between my OS being chosen and the fancy new white Ubuntu logo.

It feels like the new logo is displayed for less time than the old logo was, but it takes a lot longer to come up. The login screen also takes a little bit longer to come up after the logo has vanished (most notable by the fact that the little drum sound plays a good second or 2 before it displays, whereas it was simultaneous before).

frustrating, but I guess not game-breaking. :(